Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidstone thread

+5
2weirdtown
LB
stillmanjunior
Peter Newman
comrade powell
9 posters

Go down

Maidstone thread Empty Maidstone thread

Post by comrade powell Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:51 pm

Unfortunately no SC coach tomorrow so hopefully a few exiles will be there to swell the City support.

Just a warning that there will probably be segregation at the Maidstone ground. Those who went two years ago for the evening game will remember that this was strictly enforced by overzealous stewards who turned a blind eye to the local youths who spent the match hurling abuse at us.

There have been frequent complaints from other visiting fans this season suggesting that the situation hasn’t improved so it might be better to stand in the home areas of the ground. Sitting in the stand costs £3 more and you can’t buy tickets online.

Will make our win even sweeter…😉
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Maidstone thread Empty Re: Maidstone thread

Post by Guest Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:48 pm

Looks like they've had some decent crowds this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:00 pm

Well as someone who was there I don't think we were outplayed but out-muscled.
They has a defender playing on the left side who was as mobile as an elephant. The problem was he was the size of an elephant as well.
Initially Alex Fletcher had his number but at the same time  we were having problems from their attacking wide left player so he was then forced to spend periods  supporting our defence.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:04 pm

Very decent performance today and could easily have nicked a point at the end. Don’t agree with those saying we were the better side but a well organised defence did well to keep Maidstone quiet for most of the first half.

Thought we switched off for their free kick which led to the first goal and the second was from yet another of those breakaways we’ve conceded away from home.

Ryan Clarke had an excellent game and caused havoc when he went up for a late corner. And their stand in keeper’s save in the first half (from Smith?) was on a par with the one by the Chelmsford guy.

Oh, and there was no segregation which would have been ridiculous with our low turnout. And it didn’t cost anything extra to sit in their excellent stand!

They create a very good atmosphere there but are let down by around 200 kids who sing little ditties and various obscenities backed by a drum behind the goal. People on their forum sound embarrassed by them.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:58 pm

What I found frustrating today was how hard our defence worked to win the ball only for it to be given away almost immediately.

So often in the midfield area when a 15 yard pass was required it ended up being underhit and intercepted at the 10yd point or was overhit as a 20yd pass and the ball given away. Possibly due to the quality of the artificial pitch but I think this is something that has happened all season
Unfortunately it was more noticeable today as it negated so much of the hardwork done by our defenders.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:33 pm

Totally agree, and yes it has been a feature of many away matches.

Think you’re being harsh on their elephant though - he was my MoM! 🤣
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:49 pm

In reference to the crowd, there was definitely some sort of skirmish at half-time which threatened to get quite nasty. Stewards wading in and seemingly trying to throw people out at the Town End. No idea if they were fighting or just being disorderly in other ways but did not look good, haven’t seen that for a long time at our level.

Aside from that there was the moron who held onto the ball in the crowd near the end and then two footballs on the pitch when we tried to take a corner, again caused by a supporter. People are weird.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:59 am

I didn't see what you're referring to at ht but agree that was pathetic behaviour by two grown ups with the ball incidents. The ref made it clear to them that he was adding on the time they had wasted. It would have been very sweet if we'd equalised right at the end.

Despite that I thought that the majority of the crowd were very good spirited - they seem to assume that the idiots populate the creche behind the other goal and go elsewhere in the ground.

From what I've read, the Maidstone club don't appear to be addressing the issue and they could well be storing up problems if and when they return to the NL with the large away support from many clubs.

Wealdstone had similar problems with their younger fans a few seasons ago and retaliated by removing their lower admission prices which caused a lot of bad feeling and led to lower attendances and a morgue like atmosphere.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:59 pm

Having listened to Jerry's interview, perhaps those of you who were there should let him know!

https://youtu.be/G_YrQ57rKFU

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:06 pm

Without a supporters coach getting to places such as Maidstone will always be a problem for City supporters.

It is only a few days before the game that a decision to run/not run the coach can be confirmed which means it is too late to get the cheaper advance rail tickets.  Also travelling by rail that, more often than not, involves several changes including the underground can be quite daunting for some people.

Even those of us who travel by rail to away  games, on a frequent basis, face problems in buying cheaper advance tickets for the winter months as there is always a risk of a postponement  due to weather.  Of course we now have to consider the possibility of a Covid cancellation.

Not sure what the answer is. - Do the Supporters Club decide to run an away coach and fund any loss that accrues?  Of course doing this would mean a lower annual donation to the football club itself.

Would another option be for the Supporters Club to fund the team coach but make it a double-deck type so that travelling and paying supporters were allocated the upper deck.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:49 pm

Peter Newman wrote:Not sure what the answer is. - Do the Supporters Club decide to run an away coach and fund any loss that accrues?  Of course doing this would mean a lower annual donation to the football club itself.

Would another option be for the Supporters Club to fund the team coach but make it a double-deck type so that travelling and paying  supporters were allocated the upper deck.

The committee’s view is that supporters who help us with fundraising expect the money to aid the Club and not to subsidise travel for a small group. It would be interesting to hear from others if that is the case.

In the past we have asked the Club about supporters travelling on the team coach and the managers have always said no, apart from a couple of evening fixtures when a handful were allowed to travel. The subject has never been raised with Jerry but I’d be surprised if he’d sanction it. The problem with double deckers is that the two floors don’t tend to have equal capacities and I’d guess there wouldn’t be room downstairs for the players, management, physios etc.

But as he said in his post management interview, he wants something to be sorted. The SC committee have discussed the responses to the recent coach survey and are interested in trialling some of the suggestions made. Hopefully we’ll be sharing our thoughts in the coming days.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:25 pm

I used to use the coach before I moved to Dorset. Although I enjoy travelling independently, especially by rail, I rarely did. This is because the coach was such a pleasure. It was inexpensive, good company and we usually arrived in time to visit any decent pub within walking distance of the ground.
I wonder if the survey identified that there are more supporters nowadays have moved out/are living away from, Bath? I myself know quite a few that have left the city and wonder if this is a factor in the low coach take up?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:29 pm

Maybe the Covid pause in games has resulted in fans evaluating what's really important to them? I'd travel away to a big cup game or local derby but long coach trips to Dorking, Eastbourne, Tonbridge away on a regular basis? No thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:34 pm

2weirdtown wrote:I used to use the coach before I moved to Dorset.  Although I enjoy travelling independently, especially by rail, I rarely did.  This is because the coach was such a pleasure.  It was inexpensive, good company and we usually arrived in time to visit any decent pub within walking distance of the ground.
I wonder if the survey identified that there are more supporters nowadays have moved out/are living away from, Bath?   I myself know quite a few that have left the city and wonder if this is a factor in the low coach take up?

They were good times, Neil! As coach organiser the only problem I faced was the demand for seats and whether we’d need a second coach. Unfortunately most of those regular travellers no longer travel away. Of course some have passed away or are now very elderly or unwell and the survey offered some insights into why others don’t use the coach any more.
Cheryl works so hard to get a coach to every match but it’s proving very difficult.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:50 pm

London Road City wrote:Maybe the Covid pause in games has resulted in fans evaluating what's really important to them? I'd travel away to a big cup game or local derby but long coach trips to Dorking, Eastbourne, Tonbridge away on a regular basis? No thanks.

Yes, a problem for outlying clubs like ourselves in this league.

https://thefishy.co.uk/football-grounds.php?table=21

For those fans of the clubs around and within the M25 who want to follow their team away it must be a breeze for the majority of games.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:25 am

The issue everyone is tip-toeing around as well is, we're awful. The Conference South is the stalest it's been in years, with the same rubbish trips along the M4, and then when we get to some god forsaken hellhole in the east, the side doesn't turn up, and City lose.

While it seems like they at least battled on Saturday, knowing you are going to lose hardly entices you out of bed early on a Saturday to get a train from Spa.

Especially as LRC points out, we've had two years of not being able to do things, I know I am still out and about on my Saturday's, but travelling to watch City lose somewhere I don't want to visit is low down the list of options - that being said I am loving going to TP, and even if we lose I'm nowhere near as annoyed as I used to be, as having had it taken away, I'm just grateful to be able to go and watch football again!

Jon_BOA

threeday week and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:54 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:The issue everyone is tip-toeing around as well is, we're awful. The Conference South is the stalest it's been in years, with the same rubbish trips along the M4, and then when we get to some god forsaken hellhole in the east, the side doesn't turn up, and City lose.

While it seems like they at least battled on Saturday, knowing you are going to lose hardly entices you out of bed early on a Saturday to get a train from Spa.

Especially as LRC points out, we've had two years of not being able to do things, I know I am still out and about on my Saturday's, but travelling to watch City lose somewhere I don't want to visit is low down the list of options - that being said I am loving going to TP, and even if we lose I'm nowhere near as annoyed as I used to be, as having had it taken away, I'm just grateful to be able to go and watch football again!

Yes, an under performing City in lower mid table, but in no real immediate threat of a relegation battle, v. a full time, in form team, 2nd in the table a long way away. So perhaps Maidstone not the best example but raises the question of whether anything can change. Jerry seems open to a debate at least.

We all have our own go to games, based on time, cost, and interest. We are no different from fickle fans of other clubs. Our go to list will expand if City are successful , or even if we are in a relegation battle. Mid tableish uneven performances are not likely to encourage fans to expand that list.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:23 pm

The answer everyone is avoiding is to arrange the four in a car scenario, where everyone contributes;  passengers say 26% of the cost each and the driver 22%.   scratch
A database of drivers and passengers would be required but people could register and show their availability.
The driver may have to miss a beer but if the driving can be shared then one week in four of away games ought to be acceptable.

We do something similar to this in another non football club situation I am involved in.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Steve Whites Missus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:38 pm

Think I’ll avoid travelling to Maidstone and back sitting in the back of a car with my long legs!
No, if you’re not going to use the coach then the best bet is the train, using Group Travel if you don’t have a railcard…

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/group-travel.aspx#gs
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sword65 Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:02 pm

I am writing as a Maidstone united fan to answer a few points raised. Firstly there was never going to be segregation on Saturday. We were forced a couple of seasons back to introduce segregation by the police after Weymouth fans travelled and caused major problems. They ruined it for everyone. After consultation with the police and supporters association it was decided this season that segregation would only be in place for local derbies. Secondly, yes we do have a problem with youths causing aggro. The club is taking action though in my opinion not enough. The main problem is they are spoilt brats who get their own way because their parents are weak. Forget giving them an xbox when a backhander and a lesson in respect is what is required. The trouble though has not just been from us the Dartford fans who felt so aggrieved to splash it all over social media were just as guilty, the Ebbsfleet fans even more so. There was an incident at half time Saturday which involved security ejecting a couple of out of order Stones fans,there was a scuffle because the idiots did not want to leave quietly. Although I think we were the better side on Saturday I will say that you are the best team we have played in some while, best of luck for the rest of the season.

Sword65

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:19 pm

Thanks, Sword, and good luck in your promotion push. In our matches against yourselves and the other clubs at the top I find it difficult to decide who has been the best. Your performance at Twerton probably clinched it although Dorking away was really tough. Perhaps we’ll do you a favour when they visit us on Saturday.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:27 pm

It's a shame the matchday experience is being spoilt by just a few idiots. It's a great setup and the huge terrace is one of the most impressive I've seen in non-league. Hopefully these people can be identified but as has been proven in recent weeks Maidstone aren't the only club with problems on that front.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Sword65 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down