Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victory v Maidstone

+2
comrade powell
tovid
6 posters

Go down

Victory v Maidstone Empty Victory v Maidstone

Post by tovid Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:39 pm

Six points from two away games after the recent blip is terrific work from the boys. It sounded from the commentary that in spite of some scares we pretty much dominated throughout. Maybe some of the lads took their foot off the gas in previous games.

Shipping 10 goals in two games will have taught them a lesson. If it wasn't for that we would have the best defensive record in the division by a country mile.

Looking forward to Saturday.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Victory v Maidstone Empty Re: Victory v Maidstone

Post by comrade powell Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:02 pm

Yes, six points from the last two away and three clean sheets on the road since Wealdstone. And all three of those looked tricky so it’s an excellent return.

I wouldn’t say we dominated Maidstone but our terrific defence and keeper comfortably handled their rather predictable attacks. What we had was real pace going forward with the new loan signing adding an exciting dimension.

A couple of observations on the home club.... I can understand the stewards’ explanation that they segregate and don’t allow visiting fans to change ends because of the problems caused by Weymouth’s back in August, but surely discretion can be used. It was a great turnout of City fans considering it was for an evening fixture in Kent but there were less than forty of us and none looked like causing problems. So we had the familiar problem with segregation of the home fans hurling abuse in our direction. The bearded guy in the blue and red hat set a great example to the many children near him with his vitriol.

On a more positive note, their 3G pitch is probably the best around and frankly I quickly forgot we weren’t playing on grass.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:39 pm

Watched the highlights earlier and Maidstone might have had a case for thinking they should have been awarded a penalty - just as well there was no VAR!

From listening to the commentary and watching those highlights seemed like a solid all round performance. With Weymouth, Havant and Slough all to come to Twerton we very much have things in our own hands as far as play-offs goes.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:34 pm

Maidstone had a 4g pitch not 3g, the difference being a 4g pitch doesn't have cthe crumb on it.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:47 pm

We’ve played poorly twice in about four months, starting from that Billericay cup game.

Whichever way you look at it that’s tremendous going and if people still aren’t satisfied they have to just accept it might not get much better than this. For years we’ve been inconsistent. Even know when we aren’t at our best, like Eastbourne away maybe, we are winning.

It still baffles me when I check Matchchat sometimes (largely to make sure the sound hasn’t gone off) and I’ve read comments saying we need Bower back or why have we signed so and so. Enjoy what you’re witnessing. We might go up, we might not. Either way this team is producing the goods so get behind the City...and enjoy the game.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by daven Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:46 am

If you go on Maidstone's web page you can read the report of the match, interview with their manager & watch highlights of the match. He says that in his view it wasn't a penalty and Maidstone had 75% of the play! Also they reckon there were 23 Bath City supporters at the match.

daven

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:23 am

The only thing Maidstone had 75% of was hoofing the ball at any given time (although I would say that it was nearer 95%). I definitely counted over 40, towards 50 City fans in our segregated area. They were right that it wasn't a penalty though and their fans were very critical of their management and tactics if on their supporters Facebook page in which I was exchanging some good humoured banter with their fans until they banned me.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:49 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:We’ve played poorly twice in about four months, starting from that Billericay cup game.

Whichever way you look at it that’s tremendous going and if people still aren’t satisfied they have to just accept it might not get much better than this. For years we’ve been inconsistent. Even know when we aren’t at our best, like Eastbourne away maybe, we are winning.

It still baffles me when I check Matchchat sometimes (largely to make sure the sound hasn’t gone off) and I’ve read comments saying we need Bower back or why have we signed so and so. Enjoy what you’re witnessing. We might go up, we might not. Either way this team is producing the goods so get behind the City...and enjoy the game.

Totally agree Mark - some of the comments being made after the Wealdstone and St Albans defeats were ridiculous in view of the run we had been on, which was bound to come to an end at some point (although perhaps not in such dramatic fashion!). I accept that everyone is entitled to their opinion but unfortunately I think there are some people who probably took more pleasure from those two defeats than the wins at Concord and Maidstone!    

Fortunately the vast majority are behind what Jerry is doing and with 11 games left there is still everything to play for in terms of the play-offs at least.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down