Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidstone thread

+6
PHILB1973#
Beau Nash
BenE
SteveBradley
comrade powell
Luton Roman
10 posters

Go down

Maidstone thread Empty Maidstone thread

Post by Luton Roman Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:47 pm

Looking forward to seeing 1st home game in front of a decent crowd hopefully. Maidstone forum unsure what their team will do this season,  but a comeback win over Slough will have encouraged a team who got used to losing most weeks last season.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Maidstone thread Empty Re: Maidstone thread

Post by comrade powell Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:47 pm

Hopefully we can show the same attacking intent of the Dartford game but also tighten up at the back. Four points from two tough looking opening games would be a pleasing return.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash, Midsomer-chris and Roy D Hacksaw like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:54 pm

Is there a 'Guess the Gate' for this match ? Has there been much promotion for the match around the town ?

Would be great to see the new season start with a big crowd. Having Yeovil and Torquay in the same league as ourselves should easily result in our best average attendance for years so long as we're not struggling in the league. What was the average in the two Conference Premier seasons?

SteveBradley

Midsomer-chris likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:14 pm

SteveBradley wrote:Is there a 'Guess the Gate' for this match ? Has there been much promotion for the match around the town ?

Would be great to see the new season start with a big crowd. Having Yeovil and Torquay in the same league as ourselves should easily result in our best average attendance for years so long as we're not struggling in the league. What was the average in the two Conference Premier seasons?  

It's all on social media these days Steve ! And seems to have worked in last couple of years.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:28 pm

We're delivering thousands of flyers this week covering the next three games.
BenE
BenE

SteveBradley and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:54 pm

I saw a "flyer" inside a no.4 bus last season. Smile

Guess the Gate is in its usual slot on this forum. study
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Midsomer-chris likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:25 pm

Maidstone normally have a strong side and I'd imagine that tomorrow will be no different but hopefully after last weeks decent showing will give us the confidence to start off the home campaign in a positive fashion as last seasons was a bit of a struggle.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:26 pm

Match preview from the Stones’ website…

https://maidstoneunited.co.uk/event/bath-vs-maidstone-utd/
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:16 pm

Who's this 'Thomas Jordan' then?
🤔
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-chris Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:49 pm

Hi Steve Bradley . . . . . AND Luton Roman !

Guess the Gate is up and running in it's own thread. Please do join in and make a prediction .

We welcome any new players Very Happy
Midsomer-chris
Midsomer-chris

Beau Nash and SteveBradley like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:13 pm

Very convincing performance and win against a team who on today’s showing could be heading for consecutive relegations. Six goals in two games speaks volumes about our approach and every player looked confident on the ball. While his goal last Saturday was a real gem I particularly enjoyed the second by Thomas today. He showed great anticipation to get on the end of that long ball. I had some concerns about the defence at Dartford but they hardly gave Maidstone a sniff of goal today apart from the great save from the point blank header.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:04 pm

We got what we deserved. Wright, Parselle, Clark just 3 of many excellent performances. We were brave against a physical Maidstone side and used our heads as well with the team looking at ease with the shape and tactics and although I didn't think that I would ever say this but we have another tough game against Weston next.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:37 pm

I thought there were was very little between the sides for long periods of the game, with very little goalmouth action, but we were incisive when we got the chances.
Really pleased for Tom Smith to get a goal as he looks rejuvenated. Wrighty was excellent, beside the saves he commanded his own box.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:29 am

Professional display yesterday. I think a couple of these so say bigger teams that have come down need to get their house in order. Maidstone are poor, Torquay have started badly too, think there will be some early managerial changes this season.

Weston will be a tough game and I expect us to sit in and counter attack which seems to be our way nowadays.

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:25 am

Didn't Maidstone fans used to come with a drum? Or am I thinking of someone else?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:48 am

After 40 minutes of not a lot apart from a rasping Tom Smith shot narrowly over the bar, incisive passes from Wilson and Clark and great anticipation from Thomas saw us take an unlikely 2-0 lead. Superb low penalty save and tip over from Wright saw us lead into half time. 2nd half saw us do exactly what was required with a 2 goal margin, not giving the opposition a sniff, difficult to recall the commanding Wright having much to do. Sub Cooke gave us the required height and hold up play up front for the last 20 mins, leading to the cross and scramble that saw Smith notch the 3rd in injury time.

Resilience where required, chances taken when anticipated, keeper saves when needed, very good all round performance in a game where we would have expected Maidstone to offer a lot more. Apart from a spell midway in the 1st half it was a pretty tame offering for their decent away support. Players clearly enjoyed that win, Wright engaging animatedly with the fans at the end, and Russe and Parselle sharing a big hug in front of the large home crowd that the former will have to get used to.

In ground bars doing a good trade, but the Bristol end Romans bar needs more staff, at least 4 fans walked away from the slow moving queue.

Luton Roman

Beau Nash and 2weirdtown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:14 am

BenE wrote:Didn't Maidstone fans used to come with a drum? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Can't recall. But they seemed a decent bunch yesterday - presumably the gobby, obnoxious teenagers who infest their ground can't afford to travel this far.

The other thing I remember clearly from visiting their place in recent years is the ridiculous OTT segregation in place for all matches, because of a few indiscretions in their many local derbies. Hopefully when we go there this time there won't be even more stringent measures in place after their year in the multi stewarded NL. I expect their fans enjoyed the experience of wandering wherever they wanted yesterday.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:45 pm

One of their fans said they are always made to feel welcome at TP.
BenE
BenE

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:54 pm

Great all round performance, very impressed how well we managed the second half - Maidstone didn't ever look like getting a foothold. In the past we might have sat back and let them come at us, but we never gave them chance to settle. Looks like in Russe we might have got the 'holding' midfield player we have lacked which I am sure will benefit Tom Smith.

LB

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:22 pm

The only recollections from my one and only visit to their ground were a) how dear their bar was, and b) a ban on chewing gum!

There was an OK pub just up the road from the ground - but beware anyone who chews gum inside the ground.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down