Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath 0 Maidstone 3

+5
pete mac
stillmanjunior
comrade powell
Luton Roman
BenE
9 posters

Go down

Bath 0 Maidstone 3 Empty Bath 0 Maidstone 3

Post by BenE Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:28 am

Another big crowd and a decent turn out from the away fans.

I thought City played pretty well and it was an entertaining game but as soon as I saw Maidstone I knew we would get turned over. They are a team of beasts, massive strong and surprisingly speedy. Even Gerring looked average size in comparison. I can't see many teams getting anything out of them.
BenE
BenE

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bath 0 Maidstone 3 Empty Re: Bath 0 Maidstone 3

Post by Luton Roman Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:55 am

1st half decent, their quicker reaction to a good save the difference. 2nd half we didn't lay a glove on them. They were quicker, sharper and had the physicality. JG interview searingly honest, we didn't seem to have the belief certainly 2nd half, tame effort, crowd had nothing to get excited about. We'd better have desire next week as Frome certainly will have.

Luton Roman

comrade powell, Beau Nash and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:13 am

BenE wrote:as soon as I saw Maidstone I knew we would get turned over. They are a team of beasts, massive strong and surprisingly speedy. Even Gerring looked average size in comparison. I can't see many teams getting anything out of them.

The blueprint for success at this level. Will be interesting to see who wins between Maidstone and Dartford in the Cup next week. Thank goodness we didn't draw either of them!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:21 am

The league is probably the strongest it's ever been. There used to be one or two sides like Maidstone where I'd think "I can't see how we will get points from them." Now I reckon there are seven or eight. I expect we will surprise some and take some points, but more often than not I can see us struggling in a few matches. More clubs have more spending power than us and unless they overspend this division will be tough for years. We will still be fine against many other teams, I'm sure. The disappointment is Dartford were just as good the other week but we competed well, yesterday I don't think their keeper made a save in the entire game.

That said if a below par performance yesterday meant progression in the cup next week I'll take it.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

pete mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:39 am

Still think we should hope for a playoff spot and yes desperate for that Cup run

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:46 am

To be fair apart from picking the ball out of the net and taking goalkicks our goalie didn't have much to do. They were ruthless.

tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Luton Roman wrote:1st half decent, their quicker reaction to a good save the difference. 2nd half we didn't lay a glove on them. They were quicker, sharper and had the physicality. JG interview searingly honest.
Obviously Jerry was hurting but my impression was that we were just outplayed by a better side. To be honest I think that we have been light in midfield all season. Owers has been alright but we are really missing a Frankie type player. I do not think Tom is suited to the postion he is playing at the moment, we are getting nothing from him. If Wood comes back we need to get Joe in.midfield.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Corstonian Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:32 pm

I'd agree with the general opinion that the better team won but small margins made all the difference. We were very unlucky with the shot on goal during our strong spell in the first half, and the wild slice by their defender early in the second half went straight at the keeper who would have had no chance if it had gone anywhere else. Either of those would have brought us level, but as tends to happen their next chance was effectively the game-winner. The bottom line is that they only really had three shots but scored three goals. Also must say that their right-winger (20) is way too good for this division and I think he'll be in the National League at least next season, with or without Maidstone.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:53 pm

Yes good points.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:00 pm

Corstonian wrote:Also must say that their right-winger (20) is way too good for this division and I think he'll be in the National League at least next season, with or without Maidstone.

Deacon scored against us for Havant both games last season and ran us ragged when he was at Sutton. Surprised he’s spent a lot of time at this level, was in EFL with Crawley and Stevenage before. Nearly 30 now and can’t imagine Havant and Maidstone are poor payers so he’s probably happy with his lot.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:47 am

We probably deserved to go in level at half time as I think we had matched them pretty well up to that point. As others have said, second half was a different story.

For me the problem has always been the midfield. As BenE said, we haven't got a Frankie type player in midfield to break up play so the defence finds itself under pressure - this has happened in most games this season, not just in this one. I think Jerry has tried to play Tom Smith in the role but it doesn't suit him and we have lost his attacking play into the bargain. Not sure that we really have anyone who can fill it as neither Harley nor James is that type of player.

Next weeks game becomes even bigger than it is already, as defeat then would really set alarm bells ringing.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:42 pm

Looks to me that Dartford and Maidstone most likely to grab the promotion places.   Makes it all the more important for us to get some joy through the cup competitions.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:23 pm

2weirdtown wrote:Looks to me that Dartford and Maidstone most likely to grab the promotion places.   Makes it all the more important for us to get some joy through the cup competitions.

Particularly when you consider that the likes of Sunderland, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton will be playing in the first round (although if we get there we will probably get Fleetwood or Morecambe away!).

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:29 pm

Revenge against Bolton would be sweet. We've been waiting nearly 60 years...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down