Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing squad `24

+20
PHILB1973#
LB
Colin Voutt
Dave
Peter Newman
Midsomer-steve
threeday week
Digger
Bristol end
Beau Nash
Luton Roman
BenE
Steve Whites Missus
City 'til we're relegated
comrade powell
SteveBradley
Jon_BOA
SteveS
2weirdtown
PSJRoman
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Playing squad `24 - Page 4 Empty Re: Playing squad `24

Post by Peter Newman Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:20 pm

I think most of us have respect for what Chippenham have achieved over the years. They have always been competitive at this level despite attendances being in the lower level.
They were rumoured to have committed to a fairly large financial outlay in making one signing from Gloucester and perhaps this has forced them to reduce the playing budget available for others.

Peter Newman

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristol end Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:28 pm

It's strange they haven't managed to grow the crowds. They've got a decent catchment area and no other clubs in competition.

Bristol end

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:54 pm

Bristol end wrote:It's strange they haven't managed to grow the crowds. They've got a decent catchment area and no other clubs in competition.

Their marketing and social media profile has not grown like other clubs in the NLS and even levels below.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:09 am

[quote="Peter Newman"]Well the signing of Luke Russe was the world's worst kept secret judging by earlier posts on this this thread. All we need now is a keeper![/quote]

In my opinion we still need two keepers (well, at least one, plus a nominated good young'un - plus another five outfielders, simply to make the numbers up to around 20, which I consider to be a more comfortable squad number than we have had in the last few years. Surely it must be so embarrassing to field a near empty bench at times. Still, plenty of time yet to look at what is available to look at come the 'friendlies', but full marks for getting the signatures of those we have. A couple of long-term loanees are, of course, a stand-by option, but, Please, no short term ones.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

comrade powell, Beau Nash and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:42 pm

I don't go with the idea of needing two keepers, especially as we are likely to be going with a small squad again. As far as I can recall the last time we needed to replace a keeper during a game was when Stuart Moore was sent off - it certainly hasn't happened all the time Ryan was with us. And look what happened when Will Fuller was here - when Ryan was injured he played one game before we brought a loan keeper in and then spent most of the season making up the numbers on the bench when Ryan was fit again.

I think we should have an outfielder who is designated emergency keeper - if contracted keeper was injured then I am sure we could find someone on loan as this hasn't generally been a problem in the past

LB

Paul1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:41 pm

Fair point. But supposing your only keeper loses form (or turns out not to be up to it)? A second keeper should keep the first choice on his toes.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and Midsomer-steve like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:16 pm

comrade powell wrote:Fair point. But supposing your only keeper loses form (or turns out not to be up to it)? A second keeper should keep the first choice on his toes.

Good point as well. A difficult balance. Do you have a keeper sitting on the bench who almost certainly won't take part in the game at the  expense of an outfield player who well might?  Will be interesting to see what Jerry does.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:34 pm

I thought we had the ideal arrangement last season with our second keeper being the coach. I think players are better off playing than sitting on a bench all season especially when they are young and at the start of their career.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:54 pm

Yes, it was probably the best arrangement last season but we did go through a lot of keepers before settling on a very good one. I don’t like the risk of starting a game without a back up keeper on the bench and relying on an outfield player to go in goal. Some will remember that cup disaster many years ago at TP when Hervin (?) was sent off early on and our best striker went in goal. We lost. Then we go cap in hand to another club to have some lad for a couple of games. Stability please!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:39 am

Your last point is well meant Les, but, sorry, but I am in agreement with Comrade and BenE's comments - which is why I said that the second keeper should be a "nominated good young'un", who would be just as excited in sitting on the bench as if he was playing for his usual side. Surely he would be enhancing his skills just by being in the squad on training nights.
The only realistic way to overcome having one keeper would be to have a half-decent reserve one as an outfield player, but what if he sustains an injury early in the game, or is out injured for several weeks, or is ill etc- risky ploy.
I doubt that there is any team squad at our level with only one keeper.
By the way Les, I hate to think that your comment, about being likely to be going with a small squad again, comes to fruition.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:34 am

What happens when you have already made 3 substitutions and then the keeper gets injured or sent off. Even if you have used 2 subs it does not stop clubs making a third outfield change. So for many periods of play the back-up is redundant.
Not up on the rules on substitutions so there may be a different arrangement regarding goalkeepers.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:58 am

It will good to see a local lad in goal. He could become a fans favourite.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:49 am

So now we have a keeper and 13 outfield players - isn't that what we had for most of last season!

LB

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:53 pm

Having a deep bench is over-rated especially if you don't use it much.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:00 pm

If the new keeper makes as good an impression as Harris did then I’m fairly confident we’ll have a tight defence. My problem with yet another loanee keeper is that he’ll be gone in May and then we start the process again. Successful teams are usually built on continuity over several seasons.
Large squads may well be overrated but they come in rather useful with a minimum of 48 matches.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash, 2weirdtown and Midsomer-steve like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:23 pm

At last weeks Society meeting when Nick Blofeld was talking about the new season I am sure he said that Jerry's assistant was now in place. I wasn't able to listen to the whole meeting because of connection problems, so don't know if this came up later, but have I missed the announcement as to who it is?

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:47 pm

So that rules you out of the job then Les!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:50 pm

kermit wrote:So that rules you out of the job then Les!

Somehow I don't think he would want me!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:16 pm

Just listened to Jerry's interview after the first training session. If I heard him right he is planning on one more contract player and two loans, so potentially a squad of 17.
Interesting choice as assistant manager - lots of experience and even older than Roy Hodgson.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:56 pm

Only 4 years older than Roy Hodgson.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:21 pm

Go on then - I'll be the first to say it - nice to see that we have now signed a reserve goalkeeper! Laughing
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

comrade powell, Beau Nash, yuffie and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:01 pm

Digger wrote:Basically we've got the same team as last season. Oh joy.
mmmmm. we kept the cream from last season and got rid of the dead wood. our new players russe, thomas, clark have added way more quality. greenslade and parsele have been added last few years, it takes time too build a decent squad over a few seasons, even jurgen klopp took a few years too build his incredible squad. quality over quantity any day. 18 man squad of quality or 25 man squad of bang average players a no brainer for me. injuries a risk of course in future, but if we had a 25 man squad of average players we'd be lucky to be mid table now and not 3rd. of course i know we could of course still finish mid table but the buzz and team spirit and skill quality really are top drawer this season. i think the playing budget has been spent wisely. low injuries im confident will be top 7.
Paul1978
Paul1978

daven likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4