Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squad Numbers

+8
Colin Voutt
pete mac
PHILB1973#
Steve Whites Missus
Luton Roman
comrade powell
Midsomer-steve
BenE
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Squad Numbers Empty Squad Numbers

Post by BenE Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:55 pm

No surprise Parcelle is captain but good to see Joe Raynes made vice captain. I had thought it would be a good time for him to step up.
Don't think there are any surprises with the squad numbers but I expect the team will be pretty much as started against Yate unless Greenslade is fit.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Squad Numbers Empty Re: Squad Numbers

Post by Midsomer-steve Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:13 am

Does anyone besides me think that City are still at least a couple of players short. I could swear that we were aiming to start the season with twenty players, having learnt our lesson from the recent past?
Yes, we can always take on short term loans should the need arise, but on past experience it does not generally benefit us to do so.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:11 am

Well there's 21 squad numbers issued. I'd imagine that's sufficient. I think it was mentioned by the manager in an interview that he was aiming for a squad of 19 topped up with a couple of loanees.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:14 pm

Midsomer-steve wrote:Does anyone besides me think that City are still at least a couple of players short. I could swear that we were aiming to start the season with twenty players, having learnt our lesson from the recent past?
Yes, we can always take on short term loans should the need arise, but on past experience it does not generally benefit us to do so.

We've certainly recruited in the right areas, keeper, centre back, and additional forward. But midfield remains the key, can we win the ball and create the chances. Can Lines exert control with young legs to support him, and release Frear to do what he does best, get the ball to the attackers. Smith and indeed Batten need to get their form back. Numbers and depth are better than last year. Hopefully no recalls and we get lucky with injuries. If we start well who knows how high the crowds will be !

Luton Roman

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:01 am

With respect Mr Powell - the range of numbers is from 1 to 21, but three numbers have been omitted, which is why I broached the question. I agree with what you thought the manager said in one of his recent interviews (to have 18 signed on augmented by a couple of loanees), which is why I think we need two more players signed on. Maybe they are in the pipeline - we are not always in the picture as negotiations are sometimes delicate. Anyone know what became of the triallist whose name began with a 'J' as he was making a good impression wasn't he?

To my mind we are now loaded in midfield, but only have one 'spare' at the back - hope they all have iron shins!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:58 am

Apologies, Mr Tanner - and counting is usually one of my few strong points!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:08 am

It isn't just about quantity, but quality. It is no good having squad players that are only ever going to sit on the bench. Look at Will Fuller last season.
This goes back to finance. Does the budget enable Jerry to bring in anyone of the right calibre now?
Of course there is still time for a couple of exciting loanees to arrive.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:01 pm

Yes, but Fuller was clearly signed as the number 2 keeper. Agree about your quality and quantity point but there were times last season when our bench was Fuller plus one or two others, who we were told would not have come on due to injury.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:31 pm

Loanee keepers were brought in when Ryan was injured. Was Will also injured at the same time?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:52 pm

Not that I recall.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:56 am

OK - interesting banter - but, back to my original question - do we think that we are still a couple of players short of Jerry's ambition?
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:49 am

It's a good question but surely one which can only be answered after we've had the chance to see the squad in action. End of September? I certainly haven't formed an opinion based on pre-season friendlies.

I know you're referring to the size of the squad and I guess compared to some other clubs it will be smaller than theirs. Dartford apparently had a huge squad last year but it didn't win them promotion.

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:09 am

Midsomer-steve wrote:OK - interesting banter - but, back to my original question - do we think that we are still a couple of players short of Jerry's ambition?

It looks pretty strong at the moment. My guess is expect to see some loans if we pick up injuries. It seems the plan this season is to have contracted players as first choice, which many supporters were shouting about last season.

So.... it depends

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:17 am

So my basic thoughts on the squad size is that in the ideal world we would be 2 or 3 permanent signings short but Jerry had to draw a line between squad size and squad quality and having a larger squad would had meant us having to miss out on or not re signing Fletcher, Smith Spokes and Parselle for example and risking it with 6 signings of the Jon Mills Nat Jarvis standard for example.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:53 am

I forgot to say that in the ideal world from this year's triallists that the attacking player who everybody liked and this midfielder who was always really busy when he came on but I don't know his name would had been 2 really good signings to bolster the squad but this is it now and and at least we have genuine competition for places now and oid willing we should always have a full subs bench of fit players.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:44 pm

Thank you all for your comments, all of which contain very interesting viewpoints.

With my pessimistic hat on, backed up by being severely short of regular players on some match days in recent seasons, my question was based on the size of the squad, and what I think Jerry said that he was aiming for. However, I would be amongst the first ones to agree that he has gone for quality again this year - but we all know that injuries cannot be avoided, and we must all hope that we do not get more than our fair share of them, as he was hoping to avoid having more than a couple of short-term loans, and I couldn't agree more.

Up the City.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:03 am

Well said, Steve. Will be interesting to return to this thread after a couple of months of the season!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:02 am

Was I the only one who couldn't read the squad numbers on the backs of the shirts?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:10 am

Plus the sponsor not that clear on the front.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:22 am

comrade powell wrote:Was I the only one who couldn't read the squad numbers on the backs of the shirts?

This has occurred before.

When will we learn?

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:39 am

What numbers? I could only see a coloured sheen on the back of the shirts.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:51 am

I don't think the Belvoir Castle will be too impressed with front of the shirt either. Say what you like about last season's design, but you certainly could read Rocketmakers on the shirt.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:29 pm

We were saying the same thing about the numbers and sponser. Will the radio people be able to see the numbers?
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:14 pm

PHILB1973# wrote:We were saying the same thing about the numbers and sponser. Will the radio people be able to see the numbers?

This was mentioned during the commentary.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:21 pm

PHILB1973# wrote:We were saying the same thing about the numbers and sponser. Will the radio people be able to see the numbers?

It's not ideal but I'd say the strip three years ago was more difficult. Which turned out to be a great thing as I discovered my eyesight was the issue as much as the kit. I might as well have been blindfolded for our trophy game at Concord when they had white numbers on yellow too. That's now been amended.

Not sure if we're the only club in this situation in our league. Elsewhere I spotted Newcastle had red on black and white stripes yesterday and I'm sure a few others with hoops are almost impossible to tell apart. Personally I prefer planer backs but I'm no fashion expert, would probably get shouted down for saying it looks tacky.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next