Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing squad `24

+20
PHILB1973#
LB
Colin Voutt
Dave
Peter Newman
Midsomer-steve
threeday week
Digger
Bristol end
Beau Nash
Luton Roman
BenE
Steve Whites Missus
City 'til we're relegated
comrade powell
SteveBradley
Jon_BOA
SteveS
2weirdtown
PSJRoman
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Playing squad `24 - Page 3 Empty Re: Playing squad `24

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:15 pm

Am expecting same same, but not different.

Steve Whites Missus

Digger likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:19 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:Next season is shaping up to be as horrifically boring as the last two. How on earth has Frear managed to get himself a new deal? A slower, more lightweight, less interested player you'd struggle to sign, so if course we offer him a new deal.

I'm really regretting letting emotions override my brain and renewing my season ticket, what an awful idea that is looking like.

Yes, not overly enthused. Frear is not a defensive wing back, but can cross the ball well. If we can get a more effective midfield and allow Frear an attacking role then perhaps it will work.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:27 pm

Interestingly Jerry may have backed himself into a corner next season should we not do well. Using the injury list in post match interviews will no longer be an option.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:12 pm

I posted several weeks ago that I expected most of last season’s squad to be offered new contracts but like Jon I’m not enthused by the recent announcements. With a decent keeper behind them the defence should be good enough and the news about Cooke staying on was a pleasant surprise as I expected him to be gone. I warmed to Wilson as the season progressed and hopefully the pair will form a deadly partnership. But the only one of that midfield I’d have kept has been released…
Unlike Jon, and for the first time in many, many years, I’m not buying a season ticket. If home performances are a big step up on last season’s then I’ll be there so the Club will get more of my money. But the likelihood of dismal performances often played midweek no longer appeals. So it’s payment by performance!
comrade powell
comrade powell

threeday week, Jon_BOA and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:30 am

Chippenham fans seem convinced that their player of the season Luke Russe is going to join us or Weston. He's a defensive midfielder.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:54 am

Interesting that Comrade would not have retained Dan Hayfield as to my mind he got better as the season went on. He covered well in the Joe Raynes role and showed he can score a few goals. I think he has the potential to be a really effective midfielder. But then it took me some time to be sure if it was him or Luke Spokes on the ball.

Peter Newman

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:52 am

You’re right, Peter, and apologies to Spokes Hayfield!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:22 pm

comrade powell wrote:...But the only one of that midfield I’d have kept has been released…

Agreed the rest of your post, but that bit had me worried until your correction. I am hoping Dan Hayfield can dominate midfield and score 12+ goals.

If Tom Smith can regain his top form then there is a chance of some exciting performances.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:10 pm

PHILB1973# wrote:Chippenham fans seem convinced that their player of the season Luke Russe is going to join us or Weston. He's a defensive midfielder.

1 or 2 of them are obsessed about us despite trying to ignore us, bless.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:47 pm

Luton Roman wrote:
Yes, not overly enthused. Frear is not a defensive wing back, but can cross the ball well. If we can get a more effective midfield and allow Frear an attacking role then perhaps it will work.

In my opinion his crossing needs to improve. Yes he gets crosses in but they so very rarely find the head of a Bath City player. The reason for this is obvious - he very rarely beats his man. All he can do is make room to get the ball past an out stretched boot which doesn't enable any accuracy.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:32 pm

I wonder how many assists for goals Frear provided last season. When I suggested that he was a one trick pony I was looked at incredulously by those near me at an away match but all that was offered in his defence was his crossing. And for Hayfield to bag the twelve goals targeted by Beau is a big ask as he averaged one in every eleven starts. Still the manager clearly has faith in all those given another season so we wait in anticipation!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:04 pm

I like Freer a lot as he is a really nice chap but probably too nice for his own good. You need a bit of devilment in sport but he just hasn't got it in him.
I think Hayfield will get more goals next season. 12 is a target but there are plenty of strikers would be pleased with that. 8 would a significant contribution from midfield especially if just one of the others scored some as well.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:20 am

comrade powell wrote:...And for Hayfield to bag the twelve goals targeted by Beau is a big ask as he averaged one in every eleven starts. Still the manager clearly has faith in all those given another season so we wait in anticipation!

How many games did he play as an attacking central midfielder?

He has the height, 6ft 2", and build to be the robust central midfielder needed and to be another, with Cody, to get on the end of crosses.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:44 pm

That’s a good point about where he played in many games last season. But as with many similar players over the years who can play in different positions he’s likely to be the one to be moved back if we suffer injuries.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:56 am

comrade powell wrote:...But as with many similar players over the years who can play in different positions he’s likely to be the one to be moved back if we suffer injuries.

Which is why I would like to see another alternative for right back if Joe Raynes is injured.  Also if Dan Hayfield is injured Joe could fill the central midfield role (although Joe would prefer not to), so another tall midfield player required.

Is Alex Fletcher returning?
Who has signed on to date, is there a consolidated list?
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:21 pm

Basically we've got the same team as last season. Oh joy.

Digger

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:26 pm

I believe it was said that Fletcher will not be contracted but will be up for selection if fit. That seems sensible.
Of the rest of last season’s squad I believe everyone has signed on again with the exceptions of Clarke, Mannings and Spokes plus the various loanees.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:14 pm

Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristol end Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:43 pm

Dave's new signing video today was absolutely brilliant well done

Bristol end

Luton Roman and Jon_BOA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:57 pm

Well the signing of Luke Russe was the world's worst kept secret judging by earlier posts on this this thread. All we need now is a keeper!

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:20 am

Looks like Jerry is addressing the weaknesses in the team with the additional players coming in. I feel much more positive about the coming season already. I have to say well done Jerry.
BenE
BenE

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by daven Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:31 am

I agree BenE, getting quite excited now. Some more to come I expect. What news on Opi Edwards or James Morton?

daven

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:44 pm

I think Opi plays in America and I would imagine James hasn't given up on playing full time.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebird Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:45 pm

Peter Newman wrote:Well the signing of Luke Russe was the world's worst kept secret judging by earlier posts on this this thread. All we need now is a keeper!

You're getting a very good player - great energy, a box to box player who does the dirty work but can also come up with the odd goal, including the NLS Goal of the Season, an absolute screamer at Weymouth. He won our Supporters Player of the Year by a country mile, and deservedly so in my book. Obviously sad to see him go but I've been around long enough to know no one is irreplaceable, and I wish him all the best, it's a short career and he's joining a club who should be aiming for play-offs minimum, although the league looks even tougher this coming season with Torquay and the Green lot no doubt looking to set the pace. Some of our one-eyed supporters won't agree with me of course but I look forward to watching Luke on the occasional visit to Twerton.

Bluebird

comrade powell, Beau Nash, Jon_BOA, daven and Bristol end like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:10 pm

Thanks Bluebird. I’m afraid we have our own fans who seem obsessed with Chippenham. Personally I think our rivalry keeps us on our toes and you are one of the more likeable clubs in the division.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and daven like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next