Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squad for next season

+14
Midsomer-steve
threeday week
SteveBradley
Jon_BOA
comrade powell
tovid
kermit
PHILB1973#
Rodney
pete mac
Luton Roman
stillmanjunior
LB
BenE
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Squad for next season Empty Squad for next season

Post by BenE Mon May 23, 2022 4:17 pm

I don't think there are any surprises about those that have been released. Really pleased that Dan Ball's performances and leadership at the end of the season are recognised.
Personally I would hope that we go with one goalie this season. Even when Clarkey got injured we brought in a loanee, so the money may be better spent in midfield.
We need to be able to field a full bench and especially one that gives options.
BenE
BenE

threeday week likes this post

Back to top Go down

Squad for next season Empty Re: Squad for next season

Post by LB Mon May 23, 2022 4:35 pm

Totally agree about the goalkeeper situation. When we were so short of numbers it seemed ridiculous that one of our subs was effectively never going to be used. Not sure what message it must have sent to Will Fuller when we brought in Matthews on loan and when he was injured got another loanee. On the basis that goalkeepers are not in short supply, could we not nominate one of the outfield players to take over in an emergency during a game, and then bring in a loan replacement if it was going to be a longer term problem?

As for Dan Ball, I find it slightly ironic that a player who apparently was on the 'scrapheap' a few months ago was such an important part of the revival and is now being offered terms for next season. (Even more so because some of us got personally criticised by the manager for questioning the wisdom of letting him go out on loan!).

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon May 23, 2022 9:17 pm

For me it would be utter madness to not have a backup keeper on the books. We've had cases where Ryan Clarke has dropped out very late, Hungerford home being one of them. There would have been no time to sign someone else. He could fall ill on the way to a match for all we know, would people really be happy going to somewhere like Ebbsfleet with an outfield player in goal? What if it happens the morning of an FA Cup game? It could potentially cost thousands.

Whether we have a goalkeeper on the bench for every game is another argument. If we want a 20-man squad it could be argued that we take the risk - we haven't had a goalkeeper sent off during a game since 2014 and none injured for 10 years before that. Personally I prefer the backup, it hasn't been an issue for years anyway as we very rarely have anyone sat in the stand because we have so many players available.

My guess is they see enough potential in Alfie Kelsey, who did well at Welton last season, to be kept on. Think he's still young enough to be in our academy and presume will go on loan again. Then it's whether we get a second choice who can really compete for the number one or if we have a similar arrangement to Fuller. I'm glad I didn't have to release him. I found him an extremely likeable bloke and wish him well.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue May 24, 2022 7:42 pm

Good point well made. I think we were all a bit surprised when loanees were immediately brought in when Ryan got injured but as you say if he gets injured in the warm up then you don't generally want to start the game without a recognised goalie, although that guy did pretty well in the afcon for comoros.
Agree Fuller is a really nice bloke too. I would have loved to see him come on as an outfield player.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri May 27, 2022 12:47 pm

So a neat solution, Clarke becomes keeper coach and able emergency replacement while we will get a new keeper.

Luton Roman

comrade powell, Beau Nash, threeday week and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat May 28, 2022 1:16 pm

Yes really good first announcement. Still a few to recruit……players back on 28/6 so an interesting next 3/4 weeks

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:06 pm

Any more signings? Or are we just going with Clarke, Cooke and Frear?

Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:48 am

Patience Rodney, patience.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:17 pm

And Joe Raynes
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:47 pm

All we need is a team of Joe Raynes.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:06 am

Ball gone. Not surprised. Doubt he was assured first team choice.

Rodney

pete mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:40 am

Yes would have been a squad player agreed

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:31 pm

Yes, probably true. A great servant of the Club - I always think it would be better if supporters knew before the end of the season about the departure of such a favourite so that we could give him a deserved ovation. Retained lists used to be announced with a couple of games to go but things have changed, for very good reasons.
Thanks for all your efforts, Dan, and good luck at your next club!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:36 pm

Rodney wrote:Ball gone. Not surprised. Doubt he was assured first team choice.

Happy about Raynes though?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:53 pm

Apparently Dan is leaving because of the need to 're-balance the squad' - I am not sure if I know what that means.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:47 pm

Good news about Jordan Dyer.

Rodney

Beau Nash, stillmanjunior and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:32 pm

LB wrote:Apparently Dan is leaving because of the need to 're-balance the squad' - I am not sure if I know what that means.

Nor do I but whatever the reason surely Dan deserves better than that curt statement announcing his departure. Communication from the Club is regularly first rate but that was shabby for a player who has given so much over many seasons.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:04 pm

With Jordan Dyer and Jack Batten both signed on all we need now is a left back and the back four will be complete!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:28 pm

Has Mr Fletcher signed?

Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:43 pm

I thought Jordan was supposed to be a midfielder and only played centre half as a stop gap.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:46 pm

I am one of Dan Balls biggest fans and am sorry to see him go but I can't blame him for wanting more games. If you love football you want to play.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:04 am

comrade powell wrote:Yes, probably true. A great servant of the Club - I always think it would be better if supporters knew before the end of the season about the departure of such a favourite so that we could give him a deserved ovation. Retained lists used to be announced with a couple of games to go but things have changed, for very good reasons.
Thanks for all your efforts, Dan, and good luck at your next club!

While not the same as a proper goodbye at TP, there was a post second place medal collection rendition of "Danny Ball/boy" for Bally at Yeovil, as we assumed it would be the last time we saw him, and we did get an appreciative little wave. Not the best for 10 years but it is something!

Squad is starting to fill out nicely, will be interested in how Rex Manning plays as I haven't really watched Frome (no surprise) but Frome fans seem to rate him, as they did Raynes.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:54 pm

Parselle is a big signing, NLS team of the year, Chip love him, we're getting serious.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:02 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:For me it would be utter madness to not have a backup keeper on the books. We've had cases where Ryan Clarke has dropped out very late, Hungerford home being one of them. There would have been no time to sign someone else. He could fall ill on the way to a match for all we know, would people really be happy going to somewhere like Ebbsfleet with an outfield player in goal? What if it happens the morning of an FA Cup game? It could potentially cost thousands.

Whether we have a goalkeeper on the bench for every game is another argument. If we want a 20-man squad it could be argued that we take the risk - we haven't had a goalkeeper sent off during a game since 2014 and none injured for 10 years before that. Personally I prefer the backup, it hasn't been an issue for years anyway as we very rarely have anyone sat in the stand because we have so many players available.

My guess is they see enough potential in Alfie Kelsey, who did well at Welton last season, to be kept on. Think he's still young enough to be in our academy and presume will go on loan again. Then it's whether we get a second choice who can really compete for the number one or if we have a similar arrangement to Fuller. I'm glad I didn't have to release him. I found him an extremely likeable bloke and wish him well.

My home team Derry City lost a league about 15yrs ago through not having a sub keeper on the bench. Our first choice keeper was suspended for a game against the team we were vying with for the title (Shelbourne), so our second choice started that match. Despite us having a 3rd keeper, our manager at the time (Stephen Kenny - now managing Ireland) didn't put him on the bench. Our second choice keeper (Pat Jennings Jnr) then got sent off in the second half when we were cruising 2-0 up, so we had to put an outfield player in goals. And the game ended 2-2 after they scored two goals that a proper keeper would probably have saved. Shelbourne beat us to the league on goal difference that year.

Life lesson = Always have a keeper on the bench.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by threeday week Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:34 pm

I would assume that a new goalkeeper will come in and Ryan Clarke will be on the bench as back up combining that with his coaching duties

threeday week

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next