Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did Bobby Moore play at Twerton?

+5
comrade powell
romanoyd
the demon headmaster
Dodgycarpet
Freeview Joe
9 posters

Go down

Did Bobby Moore play at Twerton? Empty Did Bobby Moore play at Twerton?

Post by Freeview Joe Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:35 am

I've recently picked up the programme from Charlie Fleming's testimonial (28th September 1963) featuring Bath City versus an 'All Star XI' which features a 'Moore' playing at number 5 for the All-Star team. Would this be the one and only Bobby Moore? (playing in this game through his contact with former West Ham mentor Malcolm Allison?)

The team line ups are listed as:
BATH CITY
1.Bearpark, 2.Book,  3.Gough, 4.Jacobs, 5.McFarlane, 6.Carter, 7.Jackson, 8.Fleming, 9.Cartwright, 10.Owens, 11.Neil

ALL STAR XI
1.Dwyer, 2,Docherty, 3.Burgess, 4.McGarry, 5.Moore, 6.Saward, 7.Jezzard, 8.Allison, 9.Bentley, 10.Bailey, 11.Andrews

It mentions in the good book that Allison had brought a few internationals in for the game, though doesn't mention who. I take it Big Mal is playing at number 8, and maybe Tommy Docherty at number 2(?), but can anyone advise on the line up of the All Stars, if that is actually Bobby M, and their recollections if they went to the game?
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Did Bobby Moore play at Twerton? Empty Re: Did Bobby Moore play at Twerton?

Post by Dodgycarpet Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:41 pm

I thought someone would fix a definitive response but what I can say is a) my dad would have mentioned it if he had and b) I'm sure it would have been mentioned at some point on here if he had, bit I don't think so. We did have Jimmy greaves tho when he played for err.. Barnet? I should remember I was there as a kid.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Yes Barnet in 1978 I think. 2,800 there that night and I have to say I hadn't a clue who he was until later. Bit of a non-event 0-0 as I remember.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by romanoyd Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:38 pm

Can't give a positive response either but I'm sure there's a good chance that Bobby Moore played for Fulham in a friendly at Twerton prior to 74/75 season
romanoyd
romanoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks for the responses gents. I was along the same line of thinking that if he had played, my Granddad would have told me, as he would have definitely attended that afternoon. It's also true Mooro may have turned out in that friendly against Fulham. I vaguely remember going to a friendly against QPR in which Gerry Francis played (and presumably Stan Bowles too) but it's so long ago (to me) it seems like a dream Very Happy

I definitely remember the Barnet game and seeing Greavsie play as a kid. Barnet had quite a superstar side back then, with the likes of Jimmy G, Marvin Hinton and Terry Mancini in their squad.
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:51 pm

I remember getting in an argument with a Barnet fan when we played at Underhill that season for suggesting that Greaves was past it...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:04 pm

The strange thing is, on the mention of Greavsie,  I've just seen a copy of this same programme for sale on Ebay with his signature on!! (along with Jimmy Hill's) If Bobby Moore didn't play, it looks like the All Stars XI line up was still 'all star'.

This also confirms that their number 7. (Jezzard) is Beddy Jezzard who played for and managed Fulham in the 50s and 60s.

Click Here for link to Ebay programme
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Corstonian Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:46 pm

comrade powell wrote:I remember getting in an argument with a Barnet fan when we played at Underhill that season for suggesting that Greaves was past it...

Past his best and somewhat overweight, but actually past it ....... no!  As I recall the game at TP he played in midfield and despite his obvious lack of pace and fitness he found the time and space to knock the ball around very smoothly. His real problem was that, even in his moderate physical condition, he was still a class above any of his team-mates. I don't suppose any of our current Premiership players would dream of continuing their career into the lower leagues as people like Greaves or Jeff Astle did back then.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:52 pm

I attended the testimonial and am almost certain that Bobby Moore played.
I need to check at the next home game as there will be some people who might confirm are not internet users.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks for your message Peter, that would be great. It must have been a fantastic game to see, the score line ending up 4-4 so I understand
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:46 pm

romanoyd wrote:Can't give a positive response either but I'm sure there's a good chance that Bobby Moore played for Fulham in a friendly at Twerton prior to 74/75 season

I have the programme for that game in 74/5 with the team changes noted and I can confirm that he didn't play, although I recall that there was a lot of hype beforehand suggesting that he might, no doubt to boost the crowd. It clearly worked, because it was only a few short of 3000!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:04 am

After consulting with the gents at the '45 Spaces Association Football Programmes' website, the consensus is the All Star XI line up reads as follows ...

1. Noel Dwyer (West Ham) / 2. Tommy Docherty (Arsenal) / 3. Ron Burgess (Spurs) / 4.Bill McGarry (Huddersfield) / 5. Bobby Moore (West Ham) / 6. Pat Saward (Aston Villa) / 7. Beddy Jezzard (Fulham) / 8. Malcolm Allison (West Ham) / 9.Ron Bentley(Chelsea) / 10. Eddie Bailey (Spurs) / 11. Jimmy Andrews (West Ham)
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:37 pm

As a footnote, Greavsie was once asked what he thought was the best goal he ever scored. His reply was one for Barnet when he decided to let fly from '30 yards' and it flew into the net - much to his surprise. He was of course best known for scoring from inside the box.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down