Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another bar at Twerton

+6
Jon_BOA
City 'til we're relegated
Peter Newman
kermit
Rodney
BenE
10 posters

Go down

Another bar at Twerton Empty Another bar at Twerton

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:28 pm

Am I just miserable, or is anyone else miffed at the latest additions to pitchside drinking at Twerton?

New Romans Bar at Twerton Park

I'm being numbed enough watching the football at the moment, but maybe rather than a 3G pitch the club could convert the whole playing surface into a bar.

Steve Whites Missus

Beau Nash and threeday week like this post

Back to top Go down

Another bar at Twerton Empty Re: Another bar at Twerton

Post by BenE Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:43 pm

I have never associated football with drinking, but for many traditional fans it is a big part of the matchday experience. In my mind we would grow the fan base by attracting a wider family audience and I don't think that is compatible with extending the drinking facilities.
Stripes has obviously proved a success but more of the same doesn't necessary lead to an equal increase in sales.
But presumably the initial outlay is low so is worth the experiment.
BenE
BenE

Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:51 pm

The addition of drinking during the game has killed the atmosphere. Spend money on updating the bar facilities.

Rodney

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:15 am

BenE wrote: In my mind we would grow the fan base by attracting a wider family audience and I don't think that is compatible with extending the drinking facilities.

Agreed. Perhaps those who support this decision might like to follow the team to Dulwich next Saturday and see how pitchside bars and drinking leads to zero atmosphere as well as a continuous stream of 'customers' walking to and back from the bars.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Micawber likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:24 pm

comrade powell wrote:Perhaps those who support this decision might like to follow the team to Dulwich next Saturday and see how pitchside bars and drinking leads to zero atmosphere as well as a continuous stream of 'customers' walking to and back from the bars.  
.........and 🐕 cocking their legs against away supporters legs
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:36 pm

There's a group of lads I used to played football with when I lived in Bath, and we have a tradition of going to games when I'm back in town (I schedule visits to coincide with home matches). There's anywhere between 3 and 6 of them who come along with me, and all quite enjoy it as a day out. One or two have bought scarves as well. But they don't go if I'm not there to take them, so are very much in the 'occasional' category of fans. Their goodwill is there to be tapped into in future by the club though, if it can find a way to do it.

These are all 20 and 30-something football-loving blokes in good tech jobs in Bath who have money to spend. Since it's become easier to get a drink at games, their spend per head at matches has gone up too.  We're not there to get lashed, but a few drinks adds to the occasion for many people. And probbaly more so the occasional fans, who are the ones the club needs to be attracting more of and then converting into regular visitors (the die-hards will come regardless).

The bottom line is that it is expensive and difficult to run a football club. And it gets more expensive every year. I hear gripes about how the club is run currently, but what I see is that it is genuinely trying different ways to increase its own revenue in an attempt to become more sustainable (sadly whilst the financial goalposts get moved every year by other clubs). Prior to 2016 the main solution to the club being short of money seemed to be to go round the Boardroom table asking for more loans - which has left a legacy of large debts that the club is still trying to find a way to deal with now. Apart from Bob Chester, little was done in those days to genuinely try to grow the club, its fanbase or its revenues. And who of talent, sense or new to the club would want to join a Board where it was only a matter of time before you were expected to chuck serious money of your own into the black hole as a result? It was a ridiculous set-up.

I get that having a beer at football isn't everyone's thing. But so long as it isn't leading to any trouble at matches, then what's the problem? Especially if it shakes more money for the club out of occasional fans. As for atmosphere - that's realistically down to the longer-term fans and those most passionate about the club to generate. If someone getting a pint kills the atmosphere then you have to wonder if there are not bigger things for supporters to be worried about and focused on. Atmosphere can only be generated by fans - and primarily by the regular die-hard ones who care most about the club.

SteveBradley

comrade powell, 2weirdtown, Micawber, Luton Roman, Manchester Romans and daven like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:17 pm

Great post Steve. Perhaps I’m generalising but it seems to me that it’s the die hard fans who have become disillusioned in the past two seasons and therefore are unlikely to create much atmosphere.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Jon_BOA likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:22 pm

I think we need something to get excited about to take place on the field.
The comeback against Bromley showed that its a two way street.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:32 pm

Not going to copy in Steve Bradley’s post but it does seem to highlight the ways things are progressing. It seems that as long as a handful of  “Yuppies” in scarves can have a few beers during the game then everything is more positive. -  Just let the “diehards”  like myself turn up on a freezing cold Tuesday evening to make sure the Club continues to exist and ensure a few highly paid tech professionals are able to have a few terrace drinks on the odd Saturday!

Nevertheless it’s  onto Dulwich this Saturday when us  away fans  will struggle to have a clear view of proceedings  whilst a never ending stream of scarf wearing individuals  carrying  jugs of beer walk around in front us .

Lets face it us diehards now know what is our role.  Anyway over the last 3 months we have had one home league win and one new bar. Perhaps we ought to open a few more to ensure a few more victories!

Peter Newman

comrade powell and threeday week like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:19 am

Peter Newman wrote:Not going to copy in Steve Bradley’s post but it does seem to highlight the ways things are progressing. It seems that as long as a handful of  “Yuppies” in scarves can have a few beers during the game then everything is more positive. -  Just let the “diehards”  like myself turn up on a freezing cold Tuesday evening to make sure the Club continues to exist and ensure  a few highly paid tech professionals are able to have a few terrace drinks on the odd Saturday!

Nevertheless it’s  onto Dulwich this Saturday when us  away fans  will struggle to have a clear view of proceedings  whilst a never ending stream of scarf wearing individuals  carrying  jugs of beer walk around in front us .

Lets face it us diehards now know what is our role.  Anyway over the last 3 months we have had one home league win and one new bar. Perhaps we ought to open a few more to ensure a few more victories!

That's a bit fo a sneering 'super fan' response Pete if I'm honest (apologies if that sounds unduly harsh). Surely having more people attending City games is a good thing and helps pay the bills/fund the team ? Plus every die-hard fan ('yuppies' or not*) has to start their connection with the club at some point and in some way.

City's die-hard support (?) is probably in the 4-500 level, which was not far off the type of average total attendances we were getting a decade or so ago. Since then it has only gotten more expensive to operate a football club at our level. So what are your proposals for how the club should strive to maximise its ability to pay its own way in the world if you don't want newbies there who can't recall Cannonall Fleming and currently see a game as just an afternoon out rather than an obsession (so far..) ? As stated already, every die-hard fan has to start somewhere. Maybe they and their money should stay at home out of fear that they block the view of the superfans as they walk past them for a second or two Razz

*Yuppies died out in the 1990s, and have been replaced by hipsters these days as objects of popular scorn (though for very different reasons)

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:57 am

I'm not against 'football-loving blokes in good tech jobs' as have worked in both good and bad tech jobs, but I seem to recall the original proposal and questionnaire on the bar saying it would be limited to defined areas.  I cannot find the original document so may be wrong.  However, that has now morphed into all areas except the family stand.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:13 am

SteveBradley wrote:There's a group of lads I used to played football with when I lived in Bath, and we have a tradition of going to games when I'm back in town (I schedule visits to coincide with home matches). There's anywhere between 3 and 6 of them who come along with me, and all quite enjoy it as a day out. One or two have bought scarves as well. But they don't go if I'm not there to take them, so are very much in the 'occasional' category of fans. Their goodwill is there to be tapped into in future by the club though, if it can find a way to do it.

These are all 20 and 30-something football-loving blokes in good tech jobs in Bath who have money to spend. Since it's become easier to get a drink at games, their spend per head at matches has gone up too.  We're not there to get lashed, but a few drinks adds to the occasion for many people. And probbaly more so the occasional fans, who are the ones the club needs to be attracting more of and then converting into regular visitors (the die-hards will come regardless).

The bottom line is that it is expensive and difficult to run a football club. And it gets more expensive every year. I hear gripes about how the club is run currently, but what I see is that it is genuinely trying different ways to increase its own revenue in an attempt to become more sustainable (sadly whilst the financial goalposts get moved every year by other clubs). Prior to 2016 the main solution to the club being short of money seemed to be to go round the Boardroom table asking for more loans - which has left a legacy of large debts that the club is still trying to find a way to deal with now. Apart from Bob Chester, little was done in those days to genuinely try to grow the club, its fanbase or its revenues. And who of talent, sense or new to the club would want to join a Board where it was only a matter of time before you were expected to chuck serious money of your own into the black hole as a result? It was a ridiculous set-up.

I get that having a beer at football isn't everyone's thing. But so long as it isn't leading to any trouble at matches, then what's the problem? Especially if it shakes more money for the club out of occasional fans. As for atmosphere - that's realistically down to the longer-term fans and those most passionate about the club to generate. If someone getting a pint kills the atmosphere then you have to wonder if there are not bigger things for supporters to be worried about and focused on. Atmosphere can only be generated by fans - and primarily by the regular die-hard ones who care most about the club.

Very well put Steve. Being able to enjoy a drink while watch football is a unique selling point, which EFL clubs are unable to match. Those who don't wish to drink, or prefer a tea or coffee, are quite able to do so. We are happy to let people eat food purchased in the ground. I have been in a position with a tea in one hand and pasty (from the club's tea bar) and am unable to clap or cheer when a goal is scored. Perhaps banning all drink and food outlets would create a better atmosphere.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:41 pm

Have to agree with Steve Bradley on this.

I love a pub and love a pint, but haven't had a beer at TP as it isn't a place I want to drink, but I did notice on the first game of the season that a Dartford fan had bought four pints (not all for him he was walking past me) and it occured to me he'd spent as much on beer as he had his ticket, that is an instant boost to club revenue.

That being said, it does have an impact on atmosphere, although tbh I think the complete lack of atmosphere this year has been caused by a 1001 other things than people having a pint (or not as the case maybe).

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:33 am

At last, a lively debate on the forum again!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:03 am

14 posts - as many as the total for our last 4 matches, one of which attracted none. Crying or Very sad
comrade powell
comrade powell

daven likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:29 am

2weirdtown wrote:At last, a lively debate on the forum again!

It's just the beer talking

Steve Whites Missus

SteveBradley likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:10 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:
2weirdtown wrote:At last, a lively debate on the forum again!

It's just the beer talking

You're bar-red....

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down