Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st World Cup winner to play competitively at Twerton Park?

+5
LB
comrade powell
Peter Newman
Dave
Luton Roman
9 posters

Go down

1st World Cup winner to play competitively at Twerton Park? Empty 1st World Cup winner to play competitively at Twerton Park?

Post by Luton Roman Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:37 pm

Alex Morgan for Spurs this evening?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

1st World Cup winner to play competitively at Twerton Park? Empty Re: 1st World Cup winner to play competitively at Twerton Park?

Post by Dave Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:34 pm

Following in the footsteps of Steve Phillips and Luke Southwood 👏

Dave

Back to top Go down

1st World Cup winner to play competitively at Twerton Park? Empty Re: 1st World Cup winner to play competitively at Twerton Park?

Post by Peter Newman Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:12 am

Did Jimmy Greaves play for Barnet against us in the late 70's?

Bobby Moore's appearance was in a friendly.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:35 am

Yes, Greaves did play here for Barnet. Of course he didn’t play in the 66 final having been injured in the group stage but he eventually received a winners medal (I think)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:07 pm

If we are going for players in the squad but who didn't play in the final and were awarded a winners medal I would suggest it was Ron Flowers, who was player-manager for Telford from 69 to 71 and I know played for them at Twerton, I think in the 69/70 season.

Good old Wikipedia says: "...he was a member of the squad that won the 1966 World Cup, being the oldest and earliest-capped member of the squad. Flowers narrowly missed out on playing in the final itself. Jack Charlton, who was due to play, caught a cold on the eve of the West Germany match. Flowers was approached by his manager, Alf Ramsey, the night before the final and was told that if Charlton had not recovered by the morning he was on. Charlton was fine in the morning, and ultimately Flowers never kicked a ball in tournament.
Following a Football Association led campaign to persuade FIFA to award medals to all the winners' squad members, Flowers was presented with his medal by Gordon Brown at a ceremony at 10 Downing Street on 10 June 2009
".  

I will put my anorak back on now!

Quick trip to garage to look through my programmes and he actually played for Telford at Twerton in 69/70 and the next two seasons as well.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:37 pm

Top research, Les! And didn't Pele once play here for Hastings...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:01 pm

comrade powell wrote:Top research, Les! And didn't Pele once play here for Hastings...
And it was one hell of a Battle.
Oh.....whilst he didn't actually play at Twerton Park, Roger Hunt has walked out onto the hallowed turf wearing a City scarf.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:44 pm

And in his autobiography Sir Viv Richards confirmed he played in a trial match at the Azteca Twerton.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:16 am

Alex Morgan is a double world cup winner.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:47 pm

tovid wrote:Alex Morgan is a double world cup winner.

Hardly a realistic comparison.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:53 pm

Yes I'd like to see her welly a soggy lace up leather football into the back of the rigging in a pair of hob nail boots.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:30 pm

comrade powell wrote:Yes, Greaves did play here for Barnet. Of course he didn’t play in the 66 final having been injured in the group stage but he eventually received a winners medal (I think)
Yes, I remember Greavsie appearing on the right wing and suffering the cruel shouts from the Pop side fans - of 'Hey Jimmy, its a shame that you cant pass a bottle as well as that ball!'

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:22 pm

When I was researching the Champions book Mickey Burns told me a nice story about Jimmy Greaves. Greaves was battling with his problem with the bottle and so rather than going into the Sportsman after the game he just sat in the changing room away from drink and the atmosphere. Mickey had his nephew with him and saw Greaves there, so they went in and for the next hour they spent a wonderful time just talking football.

turnstyle13

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down