Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your retain list

+9
nwatson
Peter Newman
2weirdtown
comrade powell
Colin Voutt
BenE
Paul1978
Luton Roman
Digger
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your retain list Empty Your retain list

Post by Digger Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:52 pm

So who would you keep for next season?

Mine would be the following.
Buse- assuming The Y let him go. Failing that sign Jose CG from Bristol City for a year loan
Russe
Clark
Cook
Raynes
Greenslade
Parcelle
Hayfield
Morgan - should never have gone out on loan.

Last edited by Digger on Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Digger

Back to top Go down

Your retain list Empty Re: Your retain list

Post by Luton Roman Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:38 pm

Not sure about Hayfield. Goal return for an attacking midfielder is poor.

Luton Roman

nwatson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:40 pm

All of them. No weak links. Hopefully we can get another gem like Jordan Thomas again too. Would keep Lines too providing he's happy as a squad player.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:22 pm

Personally I'd have Jack Batten in there. I think Jerry will want Dyer too.
Can't see Lines being here but Wilson has scored a lot of goals. Can see him being retained unless Jerry finds another Fletcher.
I think Hayfield needs to produce more but expect to see him next season
BenE
BenE

nwatson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:05 pm

Paul1978 wrote:All of them. No weak links. Hopefully we can get another gem like Jordan Thomas again too. Would keep Lines too providing he's happy as a squad player.

Hopefully they will be less selfish!

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:11 pm

And indeed not so much Shellfish
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:16 pm

Agree with Digger’s list plus Dyer apart  from Morgan who looked very dodgy back in August. If the Club rated him I can’t believe he’d have spent the season at Havant once he regained fitness. I don’t agree with Paul about continuing with quality not quantity regarding the size of the squad - this has come back to bite us in recent months. But if we do then you can’t sign on players who haven’t made a single start all season.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Midsomer-steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:35 pm

comrade powell wrote:Agree with Digger’s list plus Dyer apart  from Morgan who looked very dodgy back in August. If the Club rated him I can’t believe he’d have spent the season at Havant once he regained fitness. I don’t agree with Paul about continuing with quality not quantity regarding the size of the squad - this has come back to bite us in recent months. But if we do then you can’t sign on players who haven’t made a single start all season.
If we had more quantity over quality, we'd be mid table muck by now with bang average players. Instead we are 7th currently in the play offs. What more do people want? The title? Also do you agree with my theory from earlier in the season about the play offs meaning increased gates for clubs trying to get in the play offs. Nearly 2000 against Weymouth and 1385 against Tonbridge Angels would have been much smaller if we were mid table muck. Also how can someone not want to keep a club legend like Tom Smith. Plenty of goals and assists from Smith. Loves playing for the club. A real fans favourite. Frears left foot is worth keeping as well. We got rid of the dead wood last season like Rex Mannings. He's not done very well at WSM. Lots of people were furious when he was released. 1 Ewan Clark or 2 average players like Rex Mannings and Eddie Jones from the budget?. 1 Ewan Clark for me.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:32 pm

I tend to agree with Paul. I live 60 miles away and have seen double the number of games I usually get to because of players like Clark.
Mind you, when I lived close to TP I always went when we were 'muck' due to the striped blood in my veins.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Beau Nash and Paul1978 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:54 pm

It’s all about opinions, Paul, and we’re all entitled to them. As far as the retained list is concerned only one person’s counts! My opinion of both Eddie Jones and Rex Mannings was that they were more than useful members of the squad. I believe you said that you hadn’t seen either. Tom Smith has not had a particularly successful season - he’d surely have started more matches if he had. Or maybe he has been suffering with injury problems which we’re not aware of. And I thought I agreed with you that yes attendances do increase over the last few weeks for those clubs with a good chance of reaching the playoffs but not for as many as you suggested.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Paul1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:55 am

Yes I know its opinions. I just don't see how more average standard players could finish higher in the table than a smaller squad of quality. This smaller squad has thrilled the fans this season and like 2 weird town says he drives up from Dorset to see the likes of Clark. Im sure many other fans turn up for the likes of Clark.Two weird town wouldn't come to as many games with a boring bigger squad. I think the crowd have been thoroughly entertained this season and this is reflected in the superb attendances. People pay to come to see Clark and Thomas when we had him. I seen Jones and Mannings in you tube highlights. Not impressed. Guess but £500 a week for Clark or £250 a week each for Jones and Mannings. £500 for a thriling entertainer or £500 for Jones and Mannings. I think Rex got potentiall though but last 2 years he's not fulfilled it.  Entertainers like Clark earn the club money through dazzling skill on the wings. So he pays his own wages through increased attendances alone. I thought you disagreed powell about attendances increasing due to potentially making play offs. I remember you done a chart. Then agreed. Yes it's all about opinions and we can debate our points. Yes it's up to Gill who he wants to keep. He' got rid of poorer players last season to be replaced by better players. His choice is only one that matters and I'd love Frear and Smith to stay but trust his judgement. Let's enjoy the rest of the season. Thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Bring on the gulls. Also players might want to leave but from what I see their a band of brothers and good mates with a good team spirit. You can't underestimate a good dressing room.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Mazzer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:49 am

Mannings could turn a game. Wasn't given the opportunity to do so. I'm afraid and this my opinion. Smithy just hasn't cut the mustard over the past three seasons, scoring 10 in all competitions. Not really a great return for a player playing behind the front two. Certainly not the player he was. I like Frear, but sitting on the bench with his wages makes no sense. Let's be honest he isn't on £500 a week. As for Eddie Jones, he was quick and strong.

Digger

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:50 am

I think most opinions of player performances over a season will be based, largely on home games. Whereas management will have all matches plus other factors on which to make a judgement as to whether a player is offered another contract.

Peter Newman

comrade powell, 2weirdtown and Midsomer-steve like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:34 am

Paul, the thread you're referring to is here...

https://bathcityfc.forumotion.co.uk/t3185-8-at-home-11-away

See my last post on the second page - I agreed with some of your arguments about the playoffs but my overall opinion of them hasn't changed at all.

The other factors which Peter refers to must surely include which level we're playing at next season and even more importantly the state of the Club's finances. It's all very well saying that one promising teenager will put more on the gate than two other contracted players but my point is that we've been desperately short of numbers for some time. Their lack of game time suggests that the recent reinforcements have not been the answer.

And I think you'd have liked Manning! Wink
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by nwatson Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:09 pm

Paul1978 wrote:
comrade powell wrote:Agree with Digger’s list plus Dyer apart  from Morgan who looked very dodgy back in August. If the Club rated him I can’t believe he’d have spent the season at Havant once he regained fitness. I don’t agree with Paul about continuing with quality not quantity regarding the size of the squad - this has come back to bite us in recent months. But if we do then you can’t sign on players who haven’t made a single start all season.
If we had more quantity over quality, we'd be mid table muck by now with bang average players. Instead we are 7th currently in the play offs. What more do people want? The title? Also do you agree with my theory from earlier in the season about the play offs meaning increased gates for clubs trying to get in the play offs. Nearly 2000 against Weymouth and 1385 against Tonbridge Angels would have been much smaller if we were mid table muck. Also how can someone not want to keep a club legend like Tom Smith. Plenty of goals and assists from Smith. Loves playing for the club. A real fans favourite. Frears left foot is worth keeping as well. We got rid of the dead wood last season like Rex Mannings. He's not done very well at WSM. Lots of people were furious when he was released. 1 Ewan Clark or 2 average players like Rex Mannings and Eddie Jones from the budget?. 1 Ewan Clark for me.

Agree about Morgan and the players, But don't think crowds are higher because of our league position. Look how awful we have been since covid, two 18th place finishes, and one of the most negative City seasons off the pitch I experienced last year, but still gates of 1-1.3k average. I also don't think it's too much to ask to expect a bit more than simply being around the play offs. We have been in this league for 12 years now, and I'm not saying we simply deserve to be in NL for no reason, but when you look at some of the clubs around us in the table: Aveley, Braintree, Hampton and Richmond, Farnborough... they don't exactly have large budgets either, and unlike us, get far smaller crowds, and have far worse facilities. Not that it really matters, but they don't quite have the same sought of history that we do either. I think City fans have every right to expect us to push for promotion, or even the title, most seasons.

nwatson

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:39 pm

The work done behind the scenes at the club must have also helped increase gates too.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

nwatson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:53 pm

2weirdtown wrote: The work done behind the scenes at the club must have also helped increase gates too.
Absolutely. Carole and loads of people. Bob Chester, too many too name. Whoever thought of the 2 bars inside the ground too. Just love how we gone from 500 fans too 1200 average or whatever it is.
Paul1978
Paul1978

nwatson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:59 pm

nwatson wrote:
Paul1978 wrote:

Agree about Morgan and the players, But don't think crowds are higher because of our league position. Look how awful we have been since covid, two 18th place finishes, and one of the most negative City seasons off the pitch I experienced last year, but still gates of 1-1.3k average. I also don't think it's too much to ask to expect a bit more than simply being around the play offs. We have been in this league for 12 years now, and I'm not saying we simply deserve to be in NL for no reason, but when you look at some of the clubs around us in the table: Aveley, Braintree, Hampton and Richmond, Farnborough... they don't exactly have large budgets either, and unlike us, get far smaller crowds, and have far worse facilities. Not that it really matters, but they don't quite have the same sought of history that we do either. I think City fans have every right to expect us to push for promotion, or even the title, most seasons.
I think we do have the right to push for promotion and we are but I think the Yeovils, Maidstones, Dorkings, Ebbsfleets have much larger budgets and squads. We'd need a backer from the outside to be title material. Can they be trusted though? Look at Oldham, Bury, Torquay, Yeovil last season and many others who been ripped off?
Paul1978
Paul1978

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:05 pm

comrade powell wrote:Paul, the thread you're referring to is here...

https://bathcityfc.forumotion.co.uk/t3185-8-at-home-11-away

See my last post on the second page - I agreed with some of your arguments about the playoffs but my overall opinion of them hasn't changed at all.

The other factors which Peter refers to must surely include which level we're playing at next season and even more importantly the state of the Club's finances. It's all very well saying that one promising teenager will put more on the gate than two other contracted players but my point is that we've been desperately short of numbers for some time. Their lack of game time suggests that the recent reinforcements have not been the answer.

And I think you'd have liked Manning! Wink

Not reading all that powell. We all differ as were all different. It makes for great debate. I'm happy with this season and whatever will be, will be. Might have liked Rex but his stats at WSM suggest otherwise. He might come good next season and good luck too him. Jordan Thomas replaced Rex and we can't argue about that replacement.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazzer Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:53 pm

Digger wrote:So who would you keep for next season?

Mine would be the following.
Buse- assuming The Y let him go. Failing that sign Jose CG from Bristol City for a year loan
Russe
Clark
Cook
Raynes
Greenslade
Parcelle
Hayfield
Morgan - should never have gone out on loan.

Agree with most of above except I’d have Dyer rather than Morgan, and would retain Smith who hasn’t had the best of seasons but gives 100% and brings experience which we may need if new signings are youngsters.

Wilson’s had a good season and manages his fitness well - we don’t have the squad depth for anyone injury-prone.

Would like to see more of Yeboah and Idehen who’ve both looked promising so far.

Mazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by threeday week Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:56 pm

Hayfield? Take a trip to any western league club in the area and I garentee you will see better midfielders

threeday week

Midsomer-steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:02 pm

threeday week wrote:Hayfield? Take a trip to any western league club in the area and I garentee you will see better midfielders
I rate the Bath City Declan Rice.
Paul1978
Paul1978

PHILB1973# likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:02 am

I don't think that it's out of the question for us to have a competitive squad size and a decent playing squad depth which is something that Jerry has always struggled with. He used to be too over reliant on loan signings and it took him too long to start finding local players to poach. Our bench is laughable at the minute and we should have a bench of younger local talent on there which maybe could turn a game rather than old or tired or not up to the job players and players who can't play on plastic or are here one week and re called by their parent club the next. I would take one Rex Mannings over 100 Vassell's anyday.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Midsomer-steve and nwatson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:00 am

The balance of quality, quantity and budget is always the challenge here. We seem to be less reliant on loans, though injuries have forced JGs hand recently. Getting those solid if unspectacular NLS players such as Jones and Mannings is always going to be key. Then getting key players such as Russe, and match turners like Thomas to support the goalscorers. Easy on paper !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:16 am

Presumably we're waiting for Chippenham to announce their Player of the Season. Their last two winners have been our consistently best players.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and Paul1978 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next