Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retained list.

+22
SouthendRoman
Twerton Parker
LB
Roman Mike
stillmanjunior
SteveS
roscopeekotrain
SASCHA
London Calling
BenE
Midsomer-steve
Sir Ged Roddy
Steve Whites Missus
comrade powell
kermit
pete mac
2weirdtown
Eddie Hitler
yuffie
Ashley
Luton Roman
Marc Monitor
26 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Retained list.  Empty Retained list.

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:56 am

We haven't done this, have we? As the season fizzles to a close, who would keep from this squad and who would you get rid of? I have to admit that I am going to be very boring and say that, aside from Diallo who I am not yet convinced about (although he still has games left to impress), there isn't anyone that springs to mind that I would let go and I agree with Howells' assessment that we need a new centre half. As mentioned on another thread, I am not sure that we need another striker necessarily but I am not privy to who is going.

Last season's clear-out of the pensioners means that we have a young squad with only Gallinagh, Walsh, Watkins and Simmo at the upper end. The latter, I would hope, isn't going anywhere and I would obviously keep Gallinagh. Walsh has done enough to stay for another year and, while I would be happy for Watkins to stay another year, it wouldn't be a disaster if he was fed up with the travelling as long as we got an adequate replacement (that's a big 'if' with our patchy recruiting record). All the young kids have impressed me for the most part especially Bowman and Keary (I am not sure whether Hemmings counts as young) and all those in their mid-20s are well-established and worth keeping. If I was being extremely critical, Adelsbury is mistake-prone and patchy and Slocombe doesn't stick in my mind as being particularly impressive. However, neither have done enough wrong to be let go, I think.

Carry on with largely this squad, add what Howells wants (but get someone else to scout them perhaps) and bring some more kids through and I will be happy. As we are going to be looking at more of a consolidation year with the community ownership hopefully bedding in, I would even be happy for Howells, Britton and Rollo to stay. At least they are cheap/free, produce a pleasing quality of football and will give Rollo another year's experience before he, I imagine, takes over.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Retained list.  Empty Re: Retained list.

Post by Luton Roman Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:18 pm

Diallo is a must stay, I've been impressed. Slocombe has other things on his mind I imagine. Keary might be looking for more starts elsehwhere, signals about another strong centre half (can see where the Steve Elliott interest was coming from) means he might be gone. Consolidation year? whileI think this was the year to win it, the points per game at the top shows it could have been anyones, next year this squad plus a couple must have their best chance even if the likes of Maidstone, Ebbsfleet plus Welling or Dartford will be coming strong.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:22 pm

I think it will be another year where there will be a lot of candidates and I think, realistically, sneaking into the play-offs will again be our best chance of elongating the season. I don't mind that either.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:34 pm

Marc Monitor wrote: only Gallinagh, Walsh, Watkins and Simmo at the upper end.

Gallinagh is 30, Walsh 31, Watkins 29 and Simmo 31 so we do have a very young squad.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Whilst it is probably unlikely I would have no problem if we kept exactly the same squad.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:59 pm

Release Walsh, keep Keary.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:33 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Diallo is a must stay, I've been impressed. Slocombe has other things on his mind I imagine. Keary might be looking for more starts elsehwhere, signals about another strong centre half (can see where the Steve Elliott interest was coming from) means he might be gone. Consolidation year? whileI think this was the year to win it, the points per game at the top shows it could have been anyones, next year this squad plus a couple must have their best chance even if the likes of Maidstone, Ebbsfleet plus Welling or Dartford will be coming strong.

He had a good game against Bromley.

Perhaps we should forget community ownership. Sell the club as a franchise and relocate it to Kent, saving a fortune in travelling.
Laughing
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:18 pm

This is always a hard thread to do. My view is that I suspect Walsh and Watkins will go.

Travelling and all that.

Elliot will join.

And there will be a hung parliament.......

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:28 pm

.......and the euro will strengthen against sterling.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:29 pm

I assumed - and hoped - the Steve Elliott interest was over. I just can't see any point unless he is on a pay-per-play contract.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:13 pm

pete mac wrote:This is always a hard thread to do. My view is that I suspect Walsh and Watkins will go.

Travelling and all that.

Elliot will join.

And there will be a hung parliament.......

and Somerset will narrowly lose out to Middlesex for the championship title.

Yes, I wonder if Walsh will be retained. Apart from the travelling, I don't think he has been as dominating as when he first returned. We definitely need someone to bolster the central defence and I'd imagine Walsh would expect to be starting every game. Having said that, he has been excellent in some games and provides the leadership we often lack on the pitch.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:19 pm

Archie indicated very clearly that they wanted people at training......conclusions follow........

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:22 pm

Let Watkins go. With Diablo and Stearn we have two short speedy players. Do we need a third?

Stearn's goals and great photo poses for yuffie win him a place.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:47 pm

The team is not young, however much it has been advertised as such. According to the website*, we have just 4 players (Ball, Bowman, Hemmings and Keary) who are under 24 but all over 21. Young players are 17-18 year-olds. We could use more of the Academy and University players.
*The website does not include players like Perry, Elliott Gibbons and some more. These players have played very few games.

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:54 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:Stearn's goals and great photo poses for yuffie win him a place.

I'm sure he's read some of Yuffie's comments about him!!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:32 pm

My immediate thought is that, as Yuffie says, I would be happy if we were to keep the same squad - but we need to increase it with a couple of Academy/U21 players (thereby at little extra cost) that were deemed worthy of more fully integrating into the 'regulars', as we have operated this season with too few to pick from (noticably short on the bench too often).
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:33 pm

I don't like talking about this much when there are still several games to go.

I believe Diallo has been played out of position ever since the Farnborough home game out wide left. He does not look the same player here at all but he is gradually getting used to the role.

What we really need is a real leader at the back. Presumably to get one who is also of at least the standard of player we have already got will mean someone will have to leave.

Adie decided to sacrifice having a back up goalie to maintain the quality of the outfield players. I can see his point. Would someone want to sit on the bench all the time - even Barrington?

I wouldn't have said goals were our problem.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:43 pm

An additional keeper doesn't have to sit on the bench if he has dual registration as I believe Barrington has with Larkhall. Maybe it's not as simple as that, but I think you have to be a hell of a keeper to be the club's only choice.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:19 pm

but when would he play? How would that create competition?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:27 pm

I don't see why the situation for a keeper is that different to any other position. We have more than one player to fill most on field positions. It's true that many players can fill more than one position, but fans don't show concern at a player who may sit on the bench for many weeks. Would be interesting to see how many clubs at this level just have the single keeper in their squad.
Still, we'll have Trego to provide that competition next season!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Luton Roman wrote:http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Bath-City-forward-Andy-Watkins-says-lowly-Hayes/story-26270180-detail/story.html

Andy Watkins pretty clear where he wants to be next season.

cheers

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:32 am

I think Jason has been working on his distribution. He is looking to throw out as often as he can and there are noticeably less back passes to him. Dan Ball has been clearing to row z all season and Keary seems to have taken the same view.

The point about goalkeepers is that they are never substituted except for injury. A reserve goalie will be on the bench the entire game. If we paid for one good enough to wear the jersey would that be a good use of money?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:46 am

No, perhaps not. But was it sensible 12 months ago to rely on Jason always being available? His 3 match suspension led to us bringing in the bloke from Reading, whose short stay ended with the Gosport incident. I'd hope that a repeat for Jason on Monday would lead to a call up for Barrington at Larkhall, but I'm never sure how immediately we have access to a dual registration.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:01 pm

That was worth it to see Josh Low don the gloves.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next