Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welling today

+5
BenE
Peter Newman
2weirdtown
comrade powell
LB
9 posters

Go down

Welling today Empty Welling today

Post by LB Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:15 pm

Didn't quite know what to expect when I saw the starting line-up - with Cooke and Clark both on the bench did have a bit of a feel that we had set up not to lose. It took a bit for us to get into our stride, playing too many long balls with the wind behind us and down the slope. Once we got into our stride and Scotty had put us ahead you always felt that another goal was coming and we should probably have been further ahead before Thomas made it 2-0 - I thought in the first half he was playing at a different level and Welling couldn't really get close to him.
As we saw against Chelmsford. 2-0 can be a tricky scoreline, but Welling were no Chelmsford and after their flurry at the start of the second half we got back on top and once Dan scored it was game over. An excellent all round team performance - JT deservedly MoM but again Russe was everywhere in midfield doing what he does so well. Hopefully we can take the performance into the two Chippenham games.

LB

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Welling today Empty Re: Welling today

Post by comrade powell Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:45 pm

Good to see some goals after a few barren matches. Fully deserved win against the worst Welling team to visit Twerton for many years. Hope they can turn it around as I always enjoy visiting their place. Chippenham had an excellent result at Maidstone and will surely prove to be tougher opponents.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:53 pm

Broadly, I agree with both posts. Welling simply lacked a cutting edge - or were efficiently shut out by our capable defence. But remember they put four more past Yeovil than we did. Good to see Tom Smith in the thick of things.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Paul1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:25 pm

It is always difficult to know whether the opponents were poor or we played really well. I think it was more of the latter today as we had a number of players who turned in high quality performances in far from ideal playing conditions. Some of the crosses that Elliot Freer provided were outstanding as was the crossfield pass from Danny Greenslade.
Also our defence players played their part in a convincing performance. It was one of those games when there were a number of the side who could have been contenders for man of the match. Chippenham will be a difficult game but now feeling more optimistic.

Peter Newman

Paul1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:35 pm

They were mentally fragile and the fight went out of them as soon as Scott scored. Up until then we were like a one man team but we gradually became more fluent. But we are a team that makes the most of its chances and sure enough they came along.
I think Freer delivered the crosses for the first three goals so he was pretty effective even though Thomas caught the eye.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:47 pm

comrade powell wrote:...as I always enjoy visiting their place...
Especially the Danson Stables pub. Very Happy rendeer santa
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:29 pm

I’m always reminded of your post when I walk through Danson Park… 👿
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:04 am

We're Welling poor or us god dam fantastic. I go for the latter seeing as Welling stuffed Yeovil 4 -1. I thought Frear deserved MOTM, 3 assists is fantastic from the Left winger veteran. Incredible attendance for Saturday before Christmas I was expecting 800ish with the Rugby at home as well. UTC boys.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:36 pm

4 tries for the rugby team as they go top and 4 goals for the City as we bounce back into the play offs.

What a time to be a Bathonian !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:57 pm

For the last few games wherever Thomas has played the pitch is ripped up, caused I presume by defenders twisting and turning trying to stay with him. It is only a matter of time before I find one that has twisted so much he has screwed himself into the ground.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down