Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City 2 Havant and W 0

+3
2weirdtown
comrade powell
Luton Roman
7 posters

Go down

City 2 Havant and W 0 Empty City 2 Havant and W 0

Post by Luton Roman Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:47 pm

4th consecutive win, 2nd consecutive clean sheet, top of the league, sounded like we were under the cosh for a while, but then we have super Scotty Wilson !

Luton Roman

Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

City 2 Havant and W 0 Empty Re: City 2 Havant and W 0

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:06 pm

I wouldn't say we were under the cosh. As convincing a 2-0 as you're likely to see. I can't decide who were the worst in their games against us - Havant, Maidstone or Eastbourne - apparently they're all full time but you wouldn't have guessed. Still it was another convincing performance from City played in very warm conditions.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and Mazzer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:20 pm

Yeh, listened to 2nd half on BCIR and found myself not chewing my fingernails as I usually do.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:51 pm

It was a game similar to WSM in many respects in that we went for long periods without the ball. But the difference was Havant were toothless (or our defence marshalled them well). We have goals in the side even when we see little of the ball.
The three new lads Russe, Thomas and Clarke have really improved the team.
BenE
BenE

comrade powell, Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:00 pm

A supporter well known to many of us suggested that our opponents should be called "Havant-a-clue-ville".

Last edited by Colin Voutt on Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Colin Voutt

Beau Nash, Midsomer-chris and Steve Whites Missus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:19 am

City 2 Havant and W 0 600ec010

I think this tweet sums things up. We are hard to beat and digging in with our forwards in good form but I still see a lot of problems ahead.  We are a tough watch if I’m honest and I get little enjoyment from our style of play. 

As the expression goes, make hay while the sun shines. Important points being taken but there is still no world where we maintain this with displays like we are putting in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:05 pm

Tough to watch?really. We're a far better outfit from last season. The new boys have given the team a new edge. All praise Jim Barron🤣

Digger

comrade powell and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:09 pm

Well Havant's fans are always top of the sour grapes league! I hope the local who went out of his way to scream 'justice!' in our ears following the late equaliser at their ground last season was present yesterday to endure his team's appalling performance.
I agree that the table can be very misleading so early in the season - the majority of the teams we've played languish near the bottom and those on social media crowing about us being top might wait a few more weeks until we've played the likes of Yeovil and Worthing before getting too carried away.
But after the dross served up last season, especially at Twerton, I think it's been a lot better so far. One of the main positives must be the number of goals scored, especially as they have come from six different players with Wilson continuing his prolific form of the spring. And at last we appear to have a midfield worthy of the name again (although I'm mystified as to why Hayfield isn't starting - perhaps he's not fully fit). Will be interesting to see how the stronger teams deal with the likes of Thomas and Clark - on the evidence of Monday and yesterday they simply foul them in the crudest ways possible!
Erasing the Weston debacle from the memory, we've only conceded 5 from six (Weston have only scored 4 from 6!) but I'm still not convinced about the defence. Yesterday saw yet another example of crosses into our box which better teams would have converted.
But overall, reasons to be cheerful!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:14 pm

Yes, agree with above. Sterner tests to come I am sure. Especially as, if everything I read is true, every other club in the NLS is full time!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:42 pm

comrade powell wrote:Well Havant's fans are always top of the sour grapes league! I hope the local who went out of his way to scream 'justice!' in our ears following the late equaliser at their ground last season was present yesterday to endure his team's appalling performance.
I agree that the table can be very misleading so early in the season - the majority of the teams we've played languish near the bottom and those on social media crowing about us being top might wait a few more weeks until we've played the likes of Yeovil and Worthing before getting too carried away.
But after the dross served up last season, especially at Twerton, I think it's been a lot better so far. One of the main positives must be the number of goals scored, especially as they have come from six different players with Wilson continuing his prolific form of the spring. And at last we appear to have a midfield worthy of the name again (although I'm mystified as to why Hayfield isn't starting - perhaps he's not fully fit). Will be interesting to see how the stronger teams deal with the likes of Thomas and Clark - on the evidence of Monday and yesterday they simply foul them in the crudest ways possible!
Erasing the Weston debacle from the memory, we've only conceded 5 from six (Weston have only scored 4 from 6!) but I'm still not convinced about the defence. Yesterday saw yet another example of crosses into our box which better teams would have converted.
But overall, reasons to be cheerful!

If we can't enjoy and celebrate being top of the league but must wait until later in the season when we should have more considered and informed opinion....bah, football is to be enjoyed and success taken when you can. City haven't won many trophies at all so wins, goals and yes being top of the league for however long or short is something I will enjoy and crow about. Life is too short!

Luton Roman

Midsomer-chris, Midsomer-steve and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:44 pm

Lecture over?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:07 pm

Is part of the reason some of our played opponents are lower in the league due to the fact their games against us resulted in them gaining nil points.

Peter Newman

comrade powell, 2weirdtown, Midsomer-steve and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:27 pm

If Havant are full time it is difficult to see what benefit it is bringing.
Our previous ball retention style of play did us no good at all as sides realised we could be pressured into mistakes. My impression is that overall we are getting more goalmouth action with this style of play, we are just getting to see the opposition fannying around with the ball rather than our own players.
BenE
BenE

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down