Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City 0 Havant 0

+7
kermit
2weirdtown
tovid
Colin Voutt
comrade powell
Steve Whites Missus
Luton Roman
11 posters

Go down

City 0 Havant 0 Empty City 0 Havant 0

Post by Luton Roman Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:40 pm

Cmon guys, over 1200 there yesterday, somebody must have a view of that point, good, bad or indifferent?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

City 0 Havant 0 Empty Re: City 0 Havant 0

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:03 pm

Twerton would have gone wild had we scored in those last few minutes.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:28 pm

It went wild with the penalty miss!

Looked a 0-0 draw for nearly all of the game and neither side deserved the three points but the one gained probably helps us more than them. The real sickener was seeing afterwards that Welling had clawed back a three goal deficit. Hopefully that won't inspire them.

Based on his interview, Jerry Gill clearly thinks otherwise but I thought Havant were one of the worst teams we've faced at TP this season.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:40 pm

comrade powell wrote:Based on his interview, Jerry Gill clearly thinks otherwise but I thought Havant were one of the worst teams we've faced at TP this season.

The "star" of their team was the No. 14, Newton, who was very, very proficient at falling over when he lost the ball. However, he did have a turn of speed.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:17 pm

Am I the only one who laments this modern policy of refs giving free kicks every time a player falls over? I just want to shout - get up man, you're embarrassing yourself.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:23 pm

I was surprised by the gate, it didn't look like 1200 but it is always difficult to judge when the opposition bring more than a car full.
As Powell says we certainly didn't deserve a win as we were particularly toothless.
I'd be interested to know if Ben Seymour has actually had a shot yet.
But defensively we have looked much more resilient.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:27 pm

Sounds as though I made the right call to not travel to TP for this one.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:52 pm

I am enjoying these 0-0's because we look more like a team that is playing for each other. The midfield doesn't have a big hole in it that the opposition waltz through.
But we do not look confident on the ball and that is to be expected given the position we are in.
If Raynes had been in midfield we might have had a bit more purpose going forward but he is an excellent defender.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:16 pm

tovid wrote:Am I the only one who laments this modern policy of refs giving free kicks every time a player falls over? I just want to shout - get up man, you're embarrassing yourself.

No, you’re not the only one. I feel for the officials trying to judge what is and what is not a foul. At the highest level the game is played at such a speed that only slow motion replays can detect what happened. And of course most players seem to set out to con the ref and get opponents into trouble. Then you have pundits pronouncing after watching endless replays “there was a slight contact so it was a foul.”

Unfortunately it’s all copied right down through the levels.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:47 am

Colin Voutt wrote:
comrade powell wrote:Based on his interview, Jerry Gill clearly thinks otherwise but I thought Havant were one of the worst teams we've faced at TP this season.

The "star" of their team was the No. 14, Newton, who was very, very proficient at falling over when he lost the ball. However, he did have a turn of speed.

Yes, Newton was a 'thrush'....an irritating tw*t, but the "star" for me was the Dutch striker number 27, Manny Duku, a recent signing from Caledonian Inverness Thistles. He had already missed 2 sitters before he showed the Irish guests how to win the crossbar challenge! I was hoping we could have a rendition of "What a waste of Manny" but the moment was lost in all the excitement of the last few minutes.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:14 am

Worrying that we now regard a home draw as a good result. And we were lucky to draw on Friday. If we draw our last 2 games at home and lose our 2 away games we'll be relegated.

Micawber

threeday week and Rodney like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:57 pm

Micawber wrote:Worrying that we now regard a home draw as a good result. And we were lucky to draw on Friday. If we draw our last 2 games at home and lose our 2 away games we'll be relegated.
Hmm, might take that cos it would mean Welling and Billericay winning probably 3 of their last 5 games to overtake us.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:06 pm

Micawber wrote:Worrying that we now regard a home draw as a good result.

A draw against a team 14 points above us with a much larger squad and one defeat in nine heading into the game is a poor result? The only team that had stopped Havant from scoring in their previous 10 matches were the current league leaders. I think they had one shot on target from open play, which was in the first minute. I class the crossbar as off target before anyone brings it up!

I'd take four points from Havant this season as being a decent return. From the start of April I thought our hardest remaining games were Friday and tomorrow.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:28 pm

Based on gaining just 1 point from our last 9 away matches, I think any away from TP may prove a tad difficult.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:28 pm

comrade powell wrote:Based on gaining just 1 point from our last 9 away matches, I think any away from TP may prove a tad difficult.
Nothing like being positive 🤣

Rodney

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:38 am

comrade powell wrote:
No, you’re not the only one. I feel for the officials trying to judge what is and what is not a foul. At the highest level the game is played at such a speed that only slow motion replays can detect what happened. And of course most players seem to set out to con the ref and get opponents into trouble. Then you have pundits pronouncing after watching endless replays “there was a slight contact so it was a foul.”

Unfortunately it’s all copied right down through the levels.

As a slight aside, it was interesting at Wembley on Saturday*, watching from the top tier, how much closer the referee (Michael Oliver, I think) appeared to be to be ball when he gave decisions. It wasn't something I've noticed while watching top flight football on TV (or at our level) but I think it must help them get more decision correct.

*little else of interest happened in the game

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down