Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chelmsford thread

+11
Midsomer-steve
City 'til we're relegated
pete mac
Luton Roman
Peter Newman
tovid
Steve Whites Missus
PHILB1973#
BenE
2weirdtown
comrade powell
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chelmsford thread Empty Chelmsford thread

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:14 pm

As suggested elsewhere it would be good to have a thread for every match, especially for those in more distant parts where maybe only a few attend (as happened last Saturday). Rather than waiting for the match to finish I suggest we do what several other clubs' forums do and get the thread up and running in advance. But anyone can do this - don't wait for me!

So what are people's thoughts about Saturday? Both clubs have made a decent start after struggling last year and it sounds like their match with Havant last Saturday was a real ding dong affair with Chelmsford fighting back to draw level three times before conceding a late winner.

With Weymouth visiting on Tuesday let's hope we can get a further six points before starting our long Cup run! Personally I always look forward to games like these against two very long time rivals...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Midsomer-chris likes this post

Back to top Go down

Chelmsford thread Empty Re: Chelmsford thread

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:46 pm

Looks like a close one to call given their improvement (so far) on their last two seasons.
I understand though that some of their fans are currently boycotting matches as they have issues with the club Chairman!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:20 pm

Looks like Chelsmford have brought in a load of new players this season. Obviously weren't happy with what they had. But they seem to have gelled fairly well.
With Lines, Spokes and Hayfield in midfield we look a far better proposition. I still don't think we have fully clicked yet despite the good results and feel there is more to come.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:23 pm

2weirdtown wrote:Looks like a close one to call given their improvement (so far) on their last two seasons.
I understand though that some of their fans are currently boycotting matches as they have issues with the club Chairman!

Their Supporters Club have withheld donations as well.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:20 am

I make a point of reading teams forums or Facebook page either whilst we are due to play them or at random times and Chelmsford's was probably the most unhappiest during the summer. They were asking their fans not to spend anything at the ground if they went as well as what has been mentioned already and admittedly I was half expecting them to be cannon fodder thus season but they seem to have made a real Fist of things so far.
I have seen Chelmsford play for about half hour this season at Chippenham before that terrible incident and although I couldn't tell a lot they did look quite compact and they definitely had some big lads in there.

Slightly off subject but when Pablo Martinez had his heart attack the Chelmsford players were quick to grab the large Chippenham flags and hold them over for Pablo for shade so fair play to them for that.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:49 pm

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:52 pm

Shocking decision. At a time when the country is in financial dire straits this is a poor decision. Assuming all these games (and events) will be moved to midweek, or cancelled (see the Tour of Britain) it just puts more pressure on part time participants while providing a smaller attendance.

Am guessing further rearrangements come the funeral.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:30 pm

It is difficult to know how to react when a monarch of 70 years dies but it is a significant event for the country so I don't think this gesture is out of place.
tovid
tovid

Midsomer-chris and Midsomer-steve like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:42 pm

As someone who, after one day, now has Royal death fatigue I agree that postponing non-league matches is unecessary. I can see some sense in tonight's fixtures being put off but I notice that the Bristol v Bath rugby has simply been moved to tomorrow.
If the Queen's funeral is on a weekday it would be somewhat ironic that one of  the first actions from our new PM  (who made a play that the UK workforce was somewhat lazy)  might be to give everyone a day off!

Peter Newman

comrade powell, Beau Nash and 2weirdtown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:57 pm

Once the PL and EFL had decided to call off their matches this weekend it was no surprise that the NL and lower down the pyramid did the same. But why? The announcement this morning stated that sporting events could go ahead (even on the day of the funeral). The ECB have therefore decided that the test match will be played tomorrow.

It would be nice to think that the football authorities could have thought just once about the fans, especially the many thousands who will have booked travel and even accommodation this weekend to attend matches not to mention all those match tickets bought in advance. Hopefully refunds will be available for the latter.

And before I and others are accused of being insensitive, there would have been the opportunity for those attending matches to pay respects to the Queen through the silences held beforehand as happened last night at Old Trafford.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash, 2weirdtown and Steve Whites Missus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:05 pm

Tricky one. Now thinking funeral will be on a weekday so no further postponements. Also saw that rearranged games to be later in season, not the usual month or so, which might help to plan appropriately if a Trophy or Cup day becomes available.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:48 am

It’s madness. You can do pretty well anything else today but you can’t watch football.

Compulsory mourning………..

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:52 am

Disgraceful decision to ban our sport.

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:11 am

The FSA... We believe football is at its finest when bringing people together at times of huge national significance – be those moments of joy or moments of mourning

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/football-postpones-fixtures/

Well said.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:22 am

The views of football's and rugby's governing bodies...

To honour her memory and lifelong commitment to our national game, English football has united to postpone football fixtures at all levels this weekend. This is our opportunity for the football community across the country to pause and reflect during this period of national mourning.

As we turn to this next era, we ask you to join us all at the FA in recognising, thanking and praising Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for everything that she did for our beautiful game.

and...

The overwhelming opinions shared so far are that teams and supporters want to come together to honour Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, to be united in our grief as we express sorrow at her passing.

Rugby, at its heart, is about community and bringing people together, in good times and in sad. Rugby clubs are a source of strength and support during times of uncertainty, and we hope that by enabling games and other rugby activity to go ahead this weekend, with families and friends congregating, it will help us to unite at this time of national mourning.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:31 am

Such nonsense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:38 am

Interesting that even the Daily Mail is infering/implying that the FA were unable to get any real guidance from the Dept of Culture on whether or not to play today. - So erred on the safe side to postpone fixtures. Another irony is that the Minister for that Department was at my house (well the front door) just a few weeks ago and said to feel free to contact her at any time with any concerns.
I assume, however, she was thinking along the lines of the traffic in Bradford on Avon and not City's game being called off.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:58 pm

None of this nonsense when the Queen's father, George VI, died on Wednesday 6.2.1952. We played three days later, thrashing Exeter City Reserves 7-1 at Twerton (I was unable to attend but I'm sure the forumnistas of the time applauded the decision).

What about previous monarchs to die during the football season?...

Victoria - died 22.1.1901 - next match 2.2.1901 v Timsbury - we were only playing friendlies in that first season of Bath City's existence (matches played in earlier years involved clubs unrelated to ourselves according to the Good Book)

George V - died 20.1 1936 - next match 25.1.1936 v Barry

I hope that when Charles' reign comes to an end the FA recalls the moving scenes at the Oval this morning and makes a more sensible decision!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:22 pm

I assume we are playing on Tuesday, so I am sure we can all pay our respects together then, so what is all the unrest about on this thread. Having three days since her passing, to grieve/pay our respects alone, or just with close family, seems right to me. If we had gone to a football match today, I doubt that this subject would have been uppermost in our minds, except, for a minute's silence or whatever on the pitch-side, so it could have been deemed disrespectful to go to a sporting event so soon. Even her beloved horse-racing was postponed until tomorrow, and I expect that at least some of those present at the Oval today were wondering if they should have really been there.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:21 am

The misery caused to millions by not having any football and other disruptions to usual life activities would not have been the Queen's desire as she always said she cared for the people.  However, the monarchy is a tool of government, used as they see fit.

The main television channels have caused immense suffering with their 24/7 coverage of matters monarchy.  I would expect the NHS to have to deal with increased mental health issues due to loss of normal programming for however long that is going to last.

People should have been given a choice to carry on as normal from last Friday or grieve privately or collectively in their communities.  A minutes silence at sporting events, as is usual when someone dies, would have been sufficient.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

comrade powell and Steve Whites Missus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:33 am

Nobody was forcing people with tickets to attend the test match yesterday - who knows, perhaps some with tickets decided not to go. But those who did provided a memorable show of respect to the late monarch. Far more respect than those flocking to royal buildings to shove their phones in the faces of grieving family members.

As so often, the football authorities just don’t understand the game’s supporters.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:02 am

The wall to wall coverage in the media is more about easy programming and easy journalism. They do the same for every event nowadays.
But the evidence is that millions do care deeply and go out of their way to show they care . The idea that none of them are football supporters is not feasible. Quite frankly a minutes silence has become commonplace and is not a mark of special respect.

Last edited by BenE on Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:35 am

Totally agree with Comrade.
We are led by the media in so many ways it is increasingly difficult to be certain what is the real situation.  When reference is made to the hordes outside Buckingham Palace and then pictures show what would have been the attendance at TP.
Interesting that today is 9/11.

Last edited by Peter Newman on Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by chelmsford fan Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:40 am

Hi Chelmsford Fan here just like to echo some of the views expressed here. I know a number of lads who intended to make the weekend trip to Bath booking independently both B & B and Travelling. It has cost them a lot of money and I doubt they will get a refund. As it is many of us are only attending away games to 'support the team not the club' so a postponement is most disappointing as most will not be able to make a Tuesday game.
Surely a minute's silence would have been sufficient.

chelmsford fan

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:58 pm

Chelmsford site report that Tuesday 1st November is the new date for this game.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next