Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Play offs are

+22
Steve Whites Missus
Notters
City 'til we're relegated
Beau Nash
Jon_BOA
Peter Newman
SteveBradley
tovid
Roy D Hacksaw
westonpundit
2weirdtown
Micawber
SteveS
OliverH
kermit
Luton Roman
stillmanjunior
LB
yuffie
Maurice Ashman
comrade powell
pete mac
26 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Play offs are  - Page 3 Empty Re: Play offs are

Post by pete mac Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:49 pm

I fully understand people’s anxiety about future finances.

My view:

We are in this to play and get promoted. That’s what we set out to do every year.

We need £17k to stage the game against Dorking. I think we will raise that comfortably to back our team. If we progress there are easier fundraising opportunities in SF and Final. Not least they say Bt sport will cover those.

On next season if we did go up and it’s a big if to win 3 straight games - then the Board will set a budget we can live with. I for one will be arguing against chasing the dream.

The world will change and many Clubs will not be able to do what they have done before.

We are a well run Club and I think we can compete at NL level with others spending less.

Let’s back the team and enjoy this. Isn’t it what we are here for? Surely this should be fun?

pete mac

SteveBradley, Midsomer-steve and thomasmaxbaer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:16 pm

pete mac wrote:
We are in this to play and get promoted. That’s what we set out to do every year.

Agreed, and if this was a normal year and normal playoffs I'd want us to win and get promoted, but it isn't and these 1/2/3 additional games suddenly have the chance to cost the club up to £35k it doesn't have. If the expected loss before the covid crap was £25k sticking another £35k loss on top of it is criminal, the club hasn't broken even in at least the last 10 years, it's not like this year is using retained earnings from a previous year, just more and more debt.  

pete mac wrote:
We are a well run Club and I think we can compete at NL level with others spending less.
Are we? Honestly? When we've been making a loss for at least the last 10 years, and within the last 3 have lost £225,371 (£137k FY 18, £62k FY 19 plus £25k estimated from FY20) That's almost quarter of a million pounds of losses (will be a quarter of a million if the club has to find £35k) in three years and we're claiming to be well run?

pete mac wrote:
Isn’t it what we are here for? Surely this should be fun?
How are games that at best we're going to get to watch on a stream or maybe BT Sport if we win a game, fun? There's no getting together with fellow fans, no singing, no sense of a seasons climax, it will be some limp games behind closed doors with a tiny interest from people in our league. Normal playoff games are fun, this farce is utterly pointless and probably going to contribute to yet another financial crisis.

This is the last I'm going to say on it as I appreciate everyone has different views, and none of us will change them, and ultimately we all want the best for City.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:07 pm

I too am very annoyed and agree totally with Jon_BOA . l am a Society member and have contributed to most fundraising schemes in the past but I won't be to this one.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:19 pm

I fully understand people’s anxiety about future finances.

My view:

We need £17k to stage the game against Dorking. I think we will raise that comfortably to back our team. If we progress there are easier fundraising opportunities in SF and Final. Not least they say Bt sport will cover those.

On next season if we did go up and it’s a big if to win 3 straight games - then the Board will set a budget we can live with. I for one will be arguing against chasing the dream.

The world will change and many Clubs will not be able to do what they have done before.

Let’s back the team and enjoy this. Isn’t it what we are here for? Surely this should be fun?

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:25 pm

Sorry that got posted again!

Figures were provided that night that’s how a good last year financially.

Given the circumstances we are in I’ll take any fun I can get. Seeing us on TV is fine - good enough for everyone else.

We are all City fans and we all want the best for our Club.

This should not increase our debt. £17k the figure and I think we’ll raise it.

Come on chaps - enjoy the game in the difficult times we are in.

Surely you’ll be there for your team.

Yours in City!

Pete

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:25 pm

Sorry that got posted again!

Figures were provided last night that’s how a good last year financially.

Given the circumstances we are in I’ll take any fun I can get. Seeing us on TV is fine - good enough for everyone else.

We are all City fans and we all want the best for our Club.

This should not increase our debt. £17k the figure and I think we’ll raise it.

Come on chaps - enjoy the game in the difficult times we are in.

Surely you’ll be there for your team.

Yours in City!

Pete

Last edited by pete mac on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:25 pm

If the games are televised will there be income from them? How much would that be?

Will there be an option to see the games, if only online?

Will there be coverage on Bath City Radio?
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:28 pm

All to be announced but Bt sport likely only to want SF and Final. Would expect a fee. Club is looking at live stream for our game

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:27 pm

Assuming we can stream the Dorking game are we able to to make a connection charge.?

Say we were able to charge £12 we should be looking to get 1000 contributors which would raise £12k. Presumably if we were able to stream then Dorking supporters would also be able to connect so that may increase the potential number of contributors. Not sure of the VAT implications but there may be a way to avoid this element.

Last season we had the one match with Wealdstone that attracted 2200 but the net match receipts would have been shared. So 1000 contributors might offer a similar gate income as to received for that game. Obviously our costs will be much higher but it looks as if there is a potential income from the game.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:24 pm

I agree a match played behind closed doors will be no fun.  It's not as if we can watch it together anywhere.  We're talking about a spectator sport here and if the manager/players think the club lacks ambition if not participating in these play offs then their priorities are wrong for me.

The potential for these games happening in these circumstances has been known for what, 3 months now, yet there seems to be nothing concrete known about how this will play out.

They say that what keeps football fans supporting their club through thick and thin is the dream of seeing some success now and again.
The possibility of 1,000 odd people stumping up to connect to watch this game in the present circumstances is to me beyond dreams and into pure fantasy.
Happy to be proved wrong and I would still stump up out of loyalty even though I'm agin' it and will be down on the beach.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Last night we heard from a professional, focused and eyes wide open board on many disparate issues inc the play offs. They're all fans and the Society has a majority on the Board so even more reason imo to trust them.

Discussion is healthy but at the end of the day a decision has to be made and it has been. Entirely up to individuals to support or not, and that has to be respected on both sides.

For me, ive read plenty of programmes in lockdown about City's impoverished past. So I can understand the fears of some, but I look at how our losses are reducing, revenue streams increasing, community engagement hugely improving, alongside a smart, more streetwise Board, and a clever manager. Reasons to be cheerful.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:08 pm

If the Dorking game was live streamed then £12 is much too high.

Whilst not wishing to under value Dave's excellent camera work...a £3 minimum, with an option to make a larger contribution, could attract an audience of thousands.  

Linking in to BCIR, Match Chat and the other social media could make it an occasion with atmosphere.

Idea The arrangements for a semi final say £5 and £7 for the final.  Do the other clubs have City's expertise in media broadcasting?  If not then City could supply. Question
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:54 pm

I used the figure of £12 mainly as it was aimed at City supporters who would have happily paid that as admission to an actual play-off match. I appreciate we would not be getting a Sky HD picture quality but at least it would be a contribution towards the Club's positive decision to take part in the play-offs.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:51 am

I would happily pay the standard entrance fee to watch a live stream of the game. I will even save 80 miles of fuel and wear and tear on my car. It’s a win win situation, and if City win it would be a win win win situation. Actually, I would happily pay £20 to be able to watch a live stream of the match. Armchairs not Terraces.

City 'til we're relegated

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:15 am

Agreed, EFL charge £10, we could go to £15 given the savings on transport, food and drink. With City and Dorkings combined average below 2000, the game on a summer weekend with lockdown easing and pubs, restaurants and by then other leisure options available we are not going to get thousands watching. Away fans would only pay a minimum if there was one, so let's price it properly.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:32 am

Gerry said 'We heard from from a professional, focussed and eyes wide open board on many disparate issues including the play offs'. Do you really believe that? I am genuinely surprised at some of the things being said here and I just don't think people have grasped the situation.
In my opinion what we have is a board who have been pressed into a corner by one or two individuals who are desperate to take part in the play offs and they have ignored all sustainability issues and the the fact that the club should be bigger than any individuals. Historically at this club the season ticket money goes to subsidise the weekly losses up until Christmas and then from Christmas on things get really difficult. The Board are prepared to gamble spending this season ticket money now on these play offs if the fundraising fails. This would put the club under immediate financial pressure when the season starts. They have basically caved, is this a professional attitude? I don't think so.
I had an email in the past couple of days from Bath City Farm. They do great work in the Twerton and wider Bath community and they are trying to raise £50k just to keep going. There are massive financial pressures out there on all organisations at the moment and although some people will obviously contribute something to play offs fundraising there are much better causes for business etc to support at the moment.
Anyway I am going to try and keep away from the forum as it is obvious to me that so many just do not appreciate the reality of the situation. I shall not be contributing anything but the Board are potentially digging a very big hole for themselves and hope those of you supporting this will be around to help drag them out of it.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:56 am

Luton Roman wrote:Agreed, EFL charge £10, we could go to £15 given the savings on transport, food and drink. With City and Dorkings combined average below 2000, the game on a summer weekend with lockdown easing and pubs, restaurants and by then other leisure options available we are not going to get thousands watching. Away fans would only pay a minimum if there was one, so let's price it properly.

I was in the middle of a long rant questioning the ludicrous £3 suggestion but Gerry has put it far more succinctly and is bang on the money, excuse the pun.

If our Community Days saw crowds soared from 1000 to 6000 I’d say the low price has some justification because it means people really are put off by the cost to attend. But they don’t really, I haven’t got the figures but I think it perhaps puts about 500 on the gate? That’s to pay whatever you want. If Slough Town suddenly said they would charge £10 to show their game with Dartford I wouldn’t do it. If they then said £3 I still wouldn’t do it. If people are interested they’ll pay, if they’re not they won’t.

It’s an unfortunate situation but also think of the number of extended highlights/interviews/goal compilations we’ve been able to enjoy for free over the years. I would have paid a tenner for all that alone.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:26 pm

I think we can raise the £17k.

I have known Steve a long time and we fought hard with many others to keep the club afloat.

I take what Steve says about next year very seriously.

If we do win 3 and go up we must make sure we have a sustainable budget.

I’ll fight for that Steve but for the moment in a collapsing world let’s enjoy the playoffs at least and back our team who deserve our support for a magnificent season.

pete mac

Midsomer-steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Notters Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:54 pm

I, too, am worried about the financial implications of competing in the playoffs. It is a massive gamble with little reward. With no certainty of when we will be able to next watch a home game, the lack of matchday income is going to a massive blow to the club. With less money in people's pocket and playing in a higher league, it'll be very difficult for fans to justify paying higher entry fees to watch games that we'll lose most weeks (we won't have the finances to compete after this).

Trying to raise £35k in three weeks is big ask, and ultimately we will be paying for this for years to come. I didn't attend the meeting last Tuesday, but I heard that they didn't want any questions about financing the playoffs. If this is true, that shows little regard to fans that are really concerned about our club. I'm not particularly comfortable with major decisions being made by those who can easily detach themselves when things go bad.

Notters

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:58 pm

Thee was plenty of discussion about financing the play off, Steve S made sure of that. A record was kept and will be available for all to see.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:31 pm

It’s £17k not £35k. Only the bigger figure if we go all the way.

I’ll put a bet on that we raise £17k if anyone wants to take it........

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:10 pm

Unlike Jon-BoA I'm not angry but I am disappointed.

For all the fine words about sustainability I think most fans would rather have a tilt at glory and worry about the consequences later.

What I find strange is that it being treated like a once in a lifetime opportunity. People seem to forget we were in the play-offs last season. There should be no pressure to bankrupt ourselves for this chance. But that is a real possibility.

I am surprised people think it will be easy to raise £17000, never mind the £35000 it will actually cost. Maybe they are right, and well done if it is raised, but I would hope that it is raised from within the supporter base. You cannot keep going cap in hand to the people of Bath especially for something as elusive as this. For one thing there will be the need to go out for funding for two other big events on the horizon. The first will be fitting out the new stadium and pitch which will cost hundreds of thousands (if we get permission). And the second will be when we go for 75% ownership. Also in the hundreds of thousand.

If we cannot demonstrate we have made a success of being financially responsible, what is the chance of those two coming off? The first time we have had to show it we have revealed ourselves to be a bunch of chancers.

I am a bit puzzled how we have managed to reduce our losses this year from last year. As far as I can see there has been no appreciable increase in our income. But if we have got it down to £25000 it seems madness to blow it all on 3 games.

Finally promotion. What makes people think we will be able to break even with all the extra costs involved in the higher league if we cannot do so now? Why haven't we set a break even budget this season? Given it was one of the central planks of the BID? What would be the pressure to do so next season? This is fanciful at best.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:12 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Thee was plenty of discussion about financing the play off, Steve S made sure of that. A record was kept and will be available for all to see.

There were words exchanged but that is not the same as listening to the points raised.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:55 pm

Having read some of the comments on here I wonder if we were all at the same Zoom meeting!

I personally thought that what Nick Blofield said was re-assuring - I am pretty sure that he said that the season ticket income had been ringfenced for next season and wouldn't be used to fund the playoffs.

I think he also said that we don't necessarily have to raise it all in 3 weeks, and realistically we only have to raise £17000 in that spell to play the first game. If we get to the semi-final and final we have another two weeks, and then there is the possibility of income from BT Sport and sponsorship might be easier if we have won the first game. As for next season, I think there was mention of different budgets being put together depending on where we are playing.

I agree with pete mac that the playoffs, and by virtue of that promotion, were our target and that we should take the chance that we have been given, although it is clear that there are a lot of differing views on this.

LB

Midsomer-steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:52 pm

Notters wrote:I didn't attend the meeting last Tuesday, but I heard that they didn't want any questions about financing the playoffs.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) that it was Jerry who said that during his Q&A, i.e. he personally didn't want to field those questions (which is fair enough as it's not his job). The board then shared a statement from Paul Williams (Football and Finance director) and took questions on finance.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next