Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Play offs are

+22
Steve Whites Missus
Notters
City 'til we're relegated
Beau Nash
Jon_BOA
Peter Newman
SteveBradley
tovid
Roy D Hacksaw
westonpundit
2weirdtown
Micawber
SteveS
OliverH
kermit
Luton Roman
stillmanjunior
LB
yuffie
Maurice Ashman
comrade powell
pete mac
26 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Play offs are  Empty Play offs are

Post by pete mac Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:14 pm

ON

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Play offs are  Empty Re: Play offs are

Post by comrade powell Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:43 pm

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:15 pm

Happy to contribute to any fundraising needed. We go game by game so do-able

pete mac

thomasmaxbaer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:51 am

Willing to join you Pete. Waiting to find out about the collection - putting my money where my mouth is!

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:14 am

So now we wait to see how the play-offs are going to work at our level.

It was interesting watching the programme on how Man City returned to training/playing that was on Sky Sport after the Arsenal match last night. It wasn't far off a military operation, with dozens of the club staff involved and massive logistical arrangements made around their stadium and training facilities. Of course, money and facilities were no problem for them. Not exactly the case at our level.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:51 am

It will be interesting to see how much this does actually cost us.

The initial estimate was around £60000 but that figure went down to around £20000, although on Twitter last night someone reckoned between £75000 and £150000 for the National League clubs involved!

I suppose much of it will depend on how many tests we need to have, which will be dictated by how many games we play. Presumably we will need a squad of more than 16 players, because there must be more risk of injury potentially playing three games in a short space of time especially after not playing for so long - a bit like pre-season - as well as the possibility of someone failing a test.

Whatever the arrangements for the games are, hopefully they will go more smoothly than the vote that eventually brought them about!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:40 am

I'm wondering if some of the costs quotes were for clubs combined, rather than each. i.e. £150,000 across seven clubs is about £21-22k each.

I'll see whether we will have permission to cover the games on radio and what sort of checks we need to have beforehand. Can't see it being a problem logistically as the stand will be empty, the same if we have to play at Havant etc after.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:55 am

Has it been confirmed how the semi finals will line up - I think last season it was 2nd v winners of 5v6 and 3rd v winners of 4v7, which would see us away to Weymouth if we get past Dorking.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:00 pm

You're right - was getting muddled because had we beaten Wealdstone last year we would have travelled to Woking, but we were technically the 5th v 6th game. I had it in my head we came 4th. Welling played Chelmsford.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Chilvers on bench for Colchester this evening. They might be done and dusted before we get going.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:33 pm

LB wrote:The initial estimate was around £60000 but that figure went down to around £20000, although on Twitter last night someone reckoned between £75000 and £150000 for the National League clubs involved!

The £20K figure appeared to come from Havant's manager Paul Doswell. This seemed to more to convince other clubs to back Havant's plan rather than from any actual knowledge.

Given that the whole basis for allowing play-offs in the NLS and NLN is that it's an elite level of sport, it would suggest that we will have to follow all the conditions Premier League clubs had to resume training and games. Which would make £20K a very optimistic figure.

I'm very glad I'm not involved in the decision to commit City to these games.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:46 pm

To be fair, I don't think we have committed to play the game(s).
I thought the board said subject to certain criteria which included the costs being acceptable.
We could always say no and give Dorking a bye.
I appreciate Jerry would be pretty upset, but the survival of the club is paramount.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:01 pm

Totally agree Kermit.
There is a club Q&A next Tuesday arranged by the Supporters Society, in lieu of the postponed AGM. An excellent opportunity for the owners of the club to get some clarity on the Club's financial position.

(Edited to correct date - thanks Luton Roman!)

Last edited by OliverH on Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:17 pm

Next Tuesday evening, 23rd from 7pm. Certainly worth a virtual attendance.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:11 pm

Several people I have spoken to don't think that we should go ahead with the play off game(s). Obviously the manager would like this to go ahead but this is supposed to be a community club where the vast majority of the shareholders wanted a sustainable club. I just can't see how in the current circumstance in relation to club and country this meets the sustainable objective. Hopefully the Board will not give into pressure from any individuals.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 am

I'm not saying we shouldn't enter the playoffs. I'm saying we need to be able to do so without incurring costs which are unreasonable or uncertain.
If funds can be raised in a way that doesn't impact on the viability of the football club, then I would love to have a crack at promotion. When the next season actually starts, I think many National top flight clubs will be operating on a more level playing field regarding budgets, which might make it slightly less difficult to stay up.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:57 am

I feel very uneasy about us participating in the playoffs. I can't really understand why so many people seem to be enthusiastic about them taking place. Surely one of the major attractions is being able to go to the match and watch the game live which people are not going to be able to do. I guess its possible it could be on TV but would have thought TV companies have so many other games from higher levels to cover that they wouldn't be interested.
No one at the moment seems to know how much it will cost to stage these games with figures varying from £20K to £60K. We will get absolutely no income from the games in terms of attendances, bar takings etc. And this is all for the dubious pleasure of winning promotion to the top division of the National League. No one knows what lies ahead next year but the likelihood is that if the season starts in September there will be restrictions on attendances and the possibility of away fans being discouraged from travelling to matches. Bar takings will be down as social distancing will have to be observed in the clubhouse. Many experts also believe that unless a vaccine is produced there could well be a second wave of the virus in the winter which would necessitate another increase in restrictions.
Even though the manager and players obviously feel they have earned the right to have an attempt at winning promotion I feel the financial risks are too great. I think we will be better off in the long term playing in the NLS for another season rather than facing financial ruin for what could well be a season of struggle in the league above.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:25 am

If someone is going to put hand in pocket and subsidise play-offs without worsening our financial situation then fine.
For me it's a no.
This has only become a possibility because the Premiership restarted in order to avoid financial penalties and determine who plays in Europe.
We are in the midst of world changing events and this country is facing financial disaster. I think the season should have been quickly written off. The energy going into this debate should be concentrated on how football, especially at our level is going to survive at all going forward.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:59 am

2 distinctly separate points for me here:

1. Cost of the play offs. There are a range of figures being quoted and I believe there is an NL meeting of all play off clubs today to provide more details. Hopefully that will give clarity. If it can be afforded, through sponsorship, fan giving, BT/ streaming, or whatever, that does not critically impact on the clubs sustainability, then lets go for it; and

2. Life in the NL. Who knows what it will look like next season or even when it would start, but if the season had played out as normal and we had been in the play offs would people have called into question our participation? I hope not because there is certainly no ideal time to say yes we are now ready to go up. If we had declined on the basis of not wanting to give it a go, then goodbye ambition and attracting the calibre of staff, players and manager like JG. Social distancing wouldn't be an issue as our attendances would reduce and people can return to their beloved standing spots. Community club or not people want success. More sponsorship, bigger gates and hopefully some sort of ground development would follow, and, importantly, clever recruitment would be needed. We have the right guy in place.

Even a glance through City's history will show a lot of impoverished times, but not a reason to stifle aspiration, but to do things better. Wealdstone's forum are also debating their challenge, but with excitement. So, if we can sensibly afford it, lets got for it.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:14 am

It is interesting to hear more people taking the view that it may be best to not take part in the play-offs.

Personally, that is the way I feel. When the initial decision was made to not have play-offs at our level I was relieved. However, I should have realised that it wouldn't be that straight forward when the National League and Havant are involved. I fully understand how disappointed Jerry and the players would be if we didn't take part but with the ongoing uncertainty over the redevelopment and the clubs position that it has to financially sustainable now, I would hope they'd all understand.

As a few other people have said if we can find a way of raising the funds needed then that's different but given the timescale involved, assuming we will have to commit to playing quite quickly, that will be a real challenge.

And then, if we do manage to raise the money it could be all over within 90 minutes. Having watched the four games that have been played since the restart it was clear that all the teams involved were understandably short of match fitness. And Arsenal lost two players to injury within 20 minutes after 2-3 weeks of full-time training. What are the odds on us losing several, after maybe just 3-4 sessions, however fit the players have kept themselves over the break.

To be honest, you might as well stick the six teams in a hat and draw one out, as the actual play-offs will be more of a lottery (with very expensive tickets) than usual.

That said if we do take part I will want us to win as much as anyone (especially if we got to the final and played Havant). And I would be prepared to contribute to any fund and, if allowed, take photos of the games (paying for my own test if required) and donate any money made from the photos to the fund.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by westonpundit Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:14 am

Blimey I can't believe the number of negative comments on the play offs proceeding if its considered safe to do so. I appreciate my reaction is driven by enthusiasm and passion for the club but then that's what excites us each week watching the team play. Every week we aim to succeed and win games to reach the clubs targets and ambition to play at the highest level. I for one recognise what a tremendous season we have enjoyed to date and proud of what the club, directors, manager and players have achieved and feel they deserve in the least the chance to finish the season and achieve what they set out to do in July....and that's win promotion !!

I feel that you should take opportunities when they present themselves and who knows how the NL will look like next season as the new climate and financial pressures will affect all teams and it may be a much more level playing field than ever before. I can't believe it will cost c 20-30K for the club to host these matches.......no fans, away support, bars to be open, crowd control, policing etc...put a few coats down for goals and off we go. Lets get behind the club, directors, management and players for these games to go ahead as it's what they DESERVE !

westonpundit

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:45 am

If the National League were any ordinary kind of organisation they'd be working right now to get a high profile company on board to sponsor the play-offs, and maybe get them televised on one of the minor sports channels. Or perhaps maybe even sending a delegation to the Premier League to see if they can contribute anything - you know, as a way to help all the clubs involved cover our costs.

That's what you or I would do in their position, right?

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:32 pm

I'm really not trying to be negative, I'm just genuinely concerned for the club's survival given COVID and the redevelopment knock back. Hopefully next Tuesday's meeting will clarify whether we can indeed afford it. And as Roy says, hopefully the league will find a way to take the burden off of clubs' shoulders.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:46 pm

I agree with you Westonpundit.

We are surely in this to play football(and watch albeit on TV)

We must surely assess the cost of competing but have to be positive about finding the money.

As for next season as Gerry said, it will be a new landscape and Jerry will use loan players etc.

Yeovil, Wrexham, Chesterfield, Hartlepool, notts County.

It was fun when we went up before.

The Board will have to stay within budget if that’s the strategy the Society adopt???

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:03 pm

What other strategy is possible?
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down