Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chippenham 2 v City 2 (Stearn 30m, Brunt 80m) full time

5 posters

Go down

Chippenham 2 v City 2 (Stearn 30m, Brunt 80m) full time Empty Chippenham 2 v City 2 (Stearn 30m, Brunt 80m) full time

Post by Luton Roman Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Same start and bench as Saturday for City.
Now that sounds like a decent point with Straker sent off at 2-1 down.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Chippenham 2 v City 2 (Stearn 30m, Brunt 80m) full time Empty Re: Chippenham 2 v City 2 (Stearn 30m, Brunt 80m) full time

Post by tovid Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Only one team in it from start to finish but we gifted them a couple of soft goals and made it hard work for ourselves. Even with 10 men there was only one team wanted to win and we were mighty close to getting it. 

The players looked disappointed at the end but there are no need for recriminations because they put their all in. 

Very fussy ref who gave a free kick at the slightest suggestion of someone falling over so not surprised someone was sent off but maybe he had a better case for their number 19 minutes before. Having said that we dominated from there on in and with a bit of luck would have got the win.

Raynes my MOM.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Chippenham 2 v City 2 (Stearn 30m, Brunt 80m) full time Empty Re: Chippenham 2 v City 2 (Stearn 30m, Brunt 80m) full time

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:34 pm

Much better display than Saturday. Apart from the mad 5 minutes or so when we let in the goals, we looked the better team even with 10 men. I don't normally criticise the refs as they have a hard job to do and get precious little for it at this level. However, today's ref was overly pernickety, blew up for too many soft decisions and didn't let the game flow. I was saying this, by the way, after the first 5 minutes when he gave everything our way. It wasn't, then, a surprise that someone got sent off even in what was hardly a bruising derby. What I didn't understand was whether it was a straight red or a second yellow. The ref definitely showed a yellow card but I couldn't remember a first (for anyone) before. It is important, obviously, as it impacts upon Straker's suspension. Anyway, an important point which could even have been three after us going 2-0 down and 1 man down so a performance to be applauded.

I called Raynes as MOM as well.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:51 pm

It was a second yellow but it threw us on radio because I thought Batten was booked previously and immediately assumed he'd been sent off.

I felt the ref was ok in terms of not letting the game get out of hand, it was surprisingly well-mannered for a derby, but the sending off seemed very harsh.

Wasn't that impressed with Chippenham. Wonder if it impacts that they seem to constantly chop and change their side? If they play similarly again on NYD I think we'll win, but we really need to get bodies back.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Yeah, with a better pitch as well on NY Day, we should win. Would Straker be available? I didn't think there was any chance oh the game getting out of hand, by the way. It wasn't a blood and guts derby. Indeed, apart from the very vocal away support and some occasional singing from the home support (and a bloody drum), I thought the atmosphere was a touch muted. When I got into the ground , I thought there was a minute's silence until I realised there were no players on the pitch (and before the actual one minute's silence).
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:03 pm

The official league page is showing as Straker getting a yellow on 75 and then the red on 76 but nothing before (from anyone in stripes). Did he say something to the ref after the first yellow?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:42 pm

He got booked for attempting to pull back their No17 after the ref had played advantage
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:44 pm

We will be down to less than the bare bones as Brunts injury didn't look too promising for a quick recovery. Ollis may have to start.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:The official league page is showing as Straker getting a yellow on 75 and then the red on 76 but nothing before (from anyone in stripes). Did he say something to the ref after the first yellow?

The official league site and LiveScore have Stearn down as scoring our second and this occuring before the red card.

Reliability isn't their forte.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelston Koppite Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:14 pm

tovid wrote:He got booked for attempting to pull back their No17 after the ref had played advantage

Yes, he was booked in the centre circle a couple of minutes before the second yellow for his foul.  I presumed that it was for something he had said, but tovid's above comment makes sense.

I think that Jack Batten was booked for sliding in on one of their players by the touch line on the 'dug-out' side in the 2nd half. (May be wrong)
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:27 pm

Now I'm even more confused. I didn't see that Straker yellow in the centre circle, neither did Bob. So Batten was cautioned and Straker picked up two, all in quick succession?

For me the second yellow wasn't one, but if he picked up one for dissent he should know better. A shame because, yet again, he was one of our best players.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:41 pm

A few of us thought the Batten booking was extremely harsh as well. The chipnum lads had a habit of going down and staying down. It is the curse of modern football. Jack got the ball fair and square.
By that time chipnum were just hanging on presumably because of a lack of fitness so it didn't take much to blow them over.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:19 am

stillmanjunior wrote:
Marc Monitor wrote:The official league page is showing as Straker getting a yellow on 75 and then the red on 76 but nothing before (from anyone in stripes). Did he say something to the ref after the first yellow?

The official league site and LiveScore have Stearn down as scoring our second and this occuring before the red card.

Reliability isn't their forte.

Didn't the PA announcer call the second goal as Stearn's as well? Mind you, that PA seemed to be old stock from British Rail.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:20 am

We did seem much fitter than Chippenham even after the sending off which, considering we are down to a core of players, is testament to Jerry's coaching.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:56 pm

Just watched the excellent highlights and a couple of things occurred to me.

Firstly, their goals came from the Nick McCootie show where he was dominating proceedings. However, after he retreated from his central role a bit, they didn't have that much to offer.

Secondly, although, upon a second viewing, I can't really complain about Straker's two yellows, I thought Batten's yellow was harsh.

Thirdly, after our second goal, we absolutely hammered them and were even more close to all three points than I realised at the time.

Fourthly, Stearn was so instrumental in pretty much every attack that he could have been man of the match. I think that, sometimes, we overlook Ross' contributions as he sets himself quite a high bar that, on occasions, he and we are disappointed when he doesn't reach them even if he has been trying hard and achieving much. To be harsh, there were a couple of occasions when he was going for a second goal when he could have passed to someone in the box. However, Ross is so often the player that will try things first time when other players will hesitate too long that he can be forgiven for that.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:30 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:Secondly, although, upon a second viewing, I can't really complain about Straker's two yellows, I thought Batten's yellow was harsh.

I actually think he's really unfortunate. They're both fouls, first saw play continue after an advantage, but if that was a yellow then how McCootie didn't get one for colliding with Batten and Artus early on isn't consistent.

Put it this way, I was more scathing of his stupid two yellows at Poole, the second after we were already 3-0 up. He'll be a big miss at Dulwich.

You mention Stearn's contribution, I think all of them have been on an even keel recently. Yes, there isn't really competition for places making them think "I need to carry on like this", but, as you also said, the fitness levels were so good, better than I remembered at first viewing. Two instances on there where Raynes has been first to a ball which he shouldn't have made.

I'm hoping they have enough in the tank over these next two games especially, as they're very winnable.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:21 am

You make a good point that many of the team are putting in reliable performances - Mann, Batten, Cundy, Straker, Artus, Efete - that perhaps we could give out multiple performances but I find that Stearn wants the ball so much and tries so much that he can occasionally make mistakes or fail in hat he is trying to achieve and, perhaps, doesn't get the credit he deserves because of that. I know that regular watchers of City appreciate him but I do wonder if even then his contributions are somewhat taken for granted. I always joke about him being "The Craig Bellamy of the South West" because of his chippiness but there is also some truth in this as, as a Wales supporter, I would often see Bellamy making clever runs and movements that weren't always seen by his teammates but that didn't stop him. He also was very often more influential to Wales than it seemed compared to the likes of Giggs etc.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down