Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

East Thurrock 1 v City 0 full time

+5
pete mac
Steve Whites Missus
tovid
LB
Luton Roman
9 posters

Go down

East Thurrock 1 v City 0 full time Empty East Thurrock 1 v City 0 full time

Post by Luton Roman Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:33 pm

Stearn for Watkins only change.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

East Thurrock 1 v City 0 full time Empty Re: East Thurrock 1 v City 0 full time

Post by LB Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Can’t help thinking these are the sort of games that we need to win if we have ambitions for this season.

Disappointing that we failed to score again - third time in four away games now. The promise from the friendlies that we had solved last season’s goalscoring problems seems a bit optimistic now. If we are to get the best out of Mills I think we need to find a way to play him alongside Brunt from the start because he doesn’t seem to fit the ‘impact substitute’ role.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Oh dear. So much for the 10 points from 4 games scenario.

Last edited by tovid on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:18 pm

Yes, 9 goals in 8 games and hot shot Mills spending more time on the bench than on the pitch. Doesnt seem right.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:29 pm

We have the class, but it feels like it has been many a season since we have had a player who when they get the ball you think something is gonna happen.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:53 pm

I like Morton. He is a terrific player but I feel he has been shoe horned into the team and Mills (and our goal scoring options) has been the loser. 

I have never been a big fan of a lone striker and unless we start scoring freely I will not be convinced.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:21 pm

First real big disappointment of the season for me today. I listened on BCIR and once again we missed chances and Mills guilty of missing 2 good ones.

Freak goal to a ream in the bottom 3. Instead of going third we end up mid table.

I expected defeats vs Dartfird and Torquay and wasn’t surprised at Chelmsford but today was a pisser.

A long way to go but my expectations have taken a dent. Hopefully the players will respond positively next week.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:59 pm

tovid wrote:Oh dear. So much for the 10 points from 4 games scenario.

Yeah, sorry about that. I am going to be hearing about this for years to come, aren't I?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:56 am

I am surprised Jerry isn't playing with three at the back. Neither Raynes nor Straker are proper full backs and this would give them more licence to get forward and link up with midfield. 

You could then have three in midfield and two up top. 

My three in midfield would be Rigg Mann and Artus with Mills alongside Brunt. Watto and Stearny would miss out. 

Mills needs to get one going in off his backside as he is now trying too hard, because of his limited opportunities. He needs a goal to get him going.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:12 am

How does a striker try too hard?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:42 am

comrade powell wrote:How does a striker try too hard?

Not being instinctive, taking an extra touch, passing not shooting....

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:27 pm

Certainly hear JG frustration in the post match interview, and picking out Mills who could have done better. I guess he will say 'Try starting me then'.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:12 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:
tovid wrote:Oh dear. So much for the 10 points from 4 games scenario.

Yeah, sorry about that. I am going to be hearing about this for years to come, aren't I?

To be fair, I think a lot of us felt the same - Chelmsford hadn't got off to great start so a point there didn't seem unreasonable (and but for the penalty we would have got one) and in their current form it was also reasonable to expect that we would beat Weston, East Thurrock and Hungerford.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:22 pm

tovid wrote:I am surprised Jerry isn't playing with three at the back. Neither Raynes nor Straker are proper full backs and this would give them more licence to get forward and link up with midfield. 

You could then have three in midfield and two up top. 

My three in midfield would be Rigg Mann and Artus with Mills alongside Brunt. Watto and Stearny would miss out. 

Mills needs to get one going in off his backside as he is now trying too hard, because of his limited opportunities. He needs a goal to get him going.

I had also wondered about going with a back three for the very reasons that tovid says.

If we are going to play two up front then I think either Mann, Stearn or Watkins will have to drop out. I think we need Frankie in midfield alongside Morton and we need someone to provide the 'ammunition' for the front two so this would ideally be either Watkins or Stearn. Would perhaps be a bit harsh on Mann who has done pretty well so far, but I think he could be useful as an 'impact' sub.

Will be interesting to see what Jerry does for Saturday, but in view of the relative lack of goals I think it is about time Mills started, but not in the lone striker role.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 pm

IMO (albeit humble) it's about time that Brunt and Mills played together up front rather than one or the other.

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:14 pm

I find comments like "neither Raynes and Straker are proper full-backs" amazing. Straker has been left-back for over a year and, barring a needless red card at Poole, has been a real asset. How many wingers regularly get the better of him? Not many. I think he'd be good in a wing-back role but I don't see the need for a radical change yet. We've kept the same back four for eight consecutive matches, kept three clean sheets and let in more than one once. Give it a go in the SPC maybe but I wouldn't suddenly introduce it unless we were panicky at the back.

It is frustrating that we have failed to score in three of our away matches, ironically the one we won was our poorest performance. I'd be more concerned if I said on commentary "yet again, no goal threat". We're creating chances, just need a combination of more composure and luck to take them.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:33 pm

He is doing a left back's job and doing it well enough but if you watch him he is not a great defender. Even so my re-shuffle is to enable the goal machine Mills to get in the side not to criticise Straker.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Id have thought the Weston, E. Thurrock and Hungerford games would have been the opportunity to pair Brunt and Mills together, particularly given our poor goal return and uneven start to the league. After Hungerford we have a resurgent Oxford, FA.Cup, and a strong Welling outfit, which might require a different approach.

Im sure JG talked about horses for courses at the outset, if not, welcome to the Somerset cup then John Mills.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down