Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v. East Thurrock

+12
Marc Monitor
Micawber
sned
stillmanjunior
SteveS
Dusty Lynfield
BenE
comrade powell
2weirdtown
Steve Whites Missus
the demon headmaster
Luton Roman
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

City v. East Thurrock Empty City v. East Thurrock

Post by Luton Roman Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Ahead of team announcement we can speculate whether Welch Hayes is back in the fold? Perhaps more a JG type player than for GO? And will Richards also start given his Keynsham debut? And who starts with Morgan?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

City v. East Thurrock Empty Re: City v. East Thurrock

Post by Luton Roman Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:39 pm

Welch Hayes, Richards, Nat and Edwards start. Nick, Marvin and Jamie on bench. More footie on ground type team then.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:52 pm

And goals ! City 3 up at ht through Opi, Miles and Watto.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:54 pm

City win 4-0 with Tom Smith getting the final one. Att 907 on Student Day. Cant wait to hear about it.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:10 pm

That makes a refreshing change!

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Well for me Matt Richards looked the player Darren Jones should have been!
Great team performance.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Listening to it on BCR was a rare stress free pleasure today. Sounds like everyone played well.
If the sort of pressing/passing game played under JG is the future, I wonder where Morgan and McCootie will fit in - as mentioned on BCR today.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Oh, and well done to all behind the Student Day initiative. So pleased that a big crowd was rewarded with a big performance on the pitch.
cheers cheers
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Yes, a memorable performance with some cracking goals. Thurrock couldn't live with us but that was their first defeat away this season. And a great turn out of students and school children. Hopefully they'll be back for more!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:05 pm

At last a good performance in front of a bumper crowd.
Miles Opi and Tom caused them all sorts of problems which unfortunately evaporated when Nick and Marvin came on. I don't think you see the best of either from the bench. Do they warm up enough?
Absolutely stunning pass from Watto for the fourth goal and cool finish.
Pleased the Gill style of play started to bear fruit. Still not convinced by Jarvis but you can't argue about 4-0.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Super display today, probably the best I’ve seen of that style since that game against Havant 2-3 seasons ago. First time we’ve controlled a game from start to finish for a long time.

Matt Richards was the difference today, gives Frankie and Tom Smith the licence to push forward, and gives the team the confidence to play Jerry’s way.....keeps thing simple, gets his foot n the ball an£ help# control tempo of game. He’s the sort of player we’ve probably needed for the last few seasons. Hope Jerry gets him to sign on the dotted line soon!
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 pm

First half was the best we have played for a long time but it looked as though the score was not going to reflect this but that all changed with the 2 quick goals just before the break.
There were several contenders for man of the match as everyone on the pitch during the first half seemed to play well. As has been said Richards made a big difference, just sitting in the midfield and doing the simple things. We have missed someone like him.
The quick inter passing game did not suite Marvin and he looked a bit out of place when he came on. Nick did not manage to get in the game at all, I don't know what the problem is but he does not look anything like the player he was second half of last season.
Welch-Hayes was back to his best and a mention for Dan Ball - he was left out by Owers at the start of the season and initially Jerry Gill seemed unsure about him but since slotting in at centre back he has been excellent and must surely be a first choice in that position now.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:26 pm

I think Straker is getting better by the game as well. Defensively we were sound, backed up by a goalkeeper that I genuinely think could be playing for England in the next few years.

Jerry's early player recruitment has been excellent and Miles' loan spell has clearly done him the world of good.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Is it this Matt Richards? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Richards_(footballer,_born_1984)

Got good pedigree if not. Missed the game today but sounds like he played well.

I missed his signing being announced though?

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:18 pm

Nah our matt richards head is shinier.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Impossible.

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Agree with Stillman Junior about the excellence of Luke Southwood. I must admit that I had my doubts during the 1st game at Bognor but I think now he is the best goalkeeper we have had at the club in my 50+ years of supporting City.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Great game today. We looked like we were ready to shoot from the start and the build up play was excellent. We had already pulled a great save (the first of a couple) form their keeper before Edwards excellent goal. I put his confidence down to him being a loanee from another club but we looked ready to shoot all around the area from different players. Very impressed by Richards who appears to have brought back some of the Chas stability if not quite the passing yet, Miles Welch Hayes who deservedly got man of the match, Smith, Edwards, Straker and, as always, Southwood. The rest of the team played well as well but those stood out for me. Watto's goal and pass for the last goal was also exceptional.

Some vindication for Jerry, a useful win not only to break the bad streak but also against a team placed near us and a great foundation to build on. Next Saturday is a very interesting match. Play like today from the start and I give us every chance of a win.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by coltrane Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:27 am

Really enjoyed Saturday afternoon. Is Matt Richards signing for city?

coltrane

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:46 am

Having watched back some of the goals with a punditry hat on, some of the non-tackling from the East Thurrock players is shameful. For Edwards’ their number 9 (Higgins) literally stops, allowing him to start his run.

During the counter for the fourth, their number 7 (Paxman) has done well to track back initially, then practically bolts up and let’s Smith tuck the ball in.

Still quality moves and executions but I don’t think the East Thurrock manager will see it that way. Anyway, we are now 12-11 up on them on aggregate after five games...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:04 pm

stillmanjunior wrote: Defensively we were sound, backed up by a goalkeeper that I genuinely think could be playing for England in the next few years.

He already looks better than Hart!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Interesting interview with Jerry Gill on Chronicle website

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bath-city-fully-deserved-thumping-764566

Not quite sure what this means for Nick and Marvin in the longer term, and I must admit I thought Jarvis did a lot of running around but to no real effect.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:38 pm

It's a squad game and we will need to mix it with some teams to get the ball to play.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

City v. East Thurrock Empty Best game

Post by Ad da Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 am

Best game ive seen so far this season

Ad da

Back to top Go down

Post by pete44 Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Excellent performance from back to front - what a difference from the Whitehawk game

Only down sides was the subs, McCootie was poor and once again giving away free kicks. Morgan as usual rooted to the spot like big oak tree up top.

pete44

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next