Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City 1 (Rigg 54m)v. East Thurrock 0 full time

+5
tovid
Maurice Ashman
Ashley
Steve Whites Missus
Luton Roman
9 posters

Go down

City 1 (Rigg 54m)v. East Thurrock 0 full time Empty City 1 (Rigg 54m)v. East Thurrock 0 full time

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Rigg and Hinds start. No Kevin. Brunt and Watkins on full bench.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

City 1 (Rigg 54m)v. East Thurrock 0 full time Empty Re: City 1 (Rigg 54m)v. East Thurrock 0 full time

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:14 pm

That first half was played so slow if Brunt had come on he could have looked like Usain Bolt!

Great result, league position and clean sheet run after so many tiring games.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

City 1 (Rigg 54m)v. East Thurrock 0 full time Empty Re: City 1 (Rigg 54m)v. East Thurrock 0 full time

Post by Ashley Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Superb win, to get 3 points when not out our best is a good sign. Good results around us too.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Bring on Torquay !

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 pm

ETU didn't have a lot of quality but they worked hard at closing us down so to come away with three points was hard work. But it is a measure of a decent side if they come out of these games with a win. 

Well done for a gritty performance.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:56 pm

I thought that Thurrock showed far more determination and character than Chippenham and although it would have been undeserved, very nearly snatched a point with that shot that hit the post. We weren't at our best but with all the matches recently, including a tough midweek one, that was a very welcome win.

While I prefer us not to run down the clock in the corner like that, I'll be applauding the tactic if we're repeating it against Torquay!

Last edited by comrade powell on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Corstonian Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Running down the clock by confining play to one corner in their half for minutes on end was great game management in my book. We've sometimes carried on trying to score again in those situations and been punished - this was the sign of a more professional mindset.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Was it longer than at Worcester??

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Corstonian Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:53 pm

4 minutes additional time was announced (which seemed a little excessive since there were no injury stoppages I can recall in the second half and only 4 subs) - I'd say around three of those minutes were used up in an area about 10 yards square.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:10 pm

Not a classic but who cares - today I finally buried my unlucky City scarf hoodoo!

cheers cheers
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:29 pm

I actually had this down as a "Before the Lord Mayor's Show" potential potato skin pre-match so am glad that we held onto the 1 goal lead. We inevitably looked disrupted after the departure of Efete who did so well for us over the festive period. I thought that, with the injuries, Jerry put out the best team he could. We were often playing it too high against a very tall defence which wasn't getting us anywhere. Hinds looks good but needs good service behind the defenders to run onto but just didn't get that yesterday. It is a shame that Joe has to go back to right back, however well he played yesterday, as he looks great in the centre of midfield but, unless we get another right back in or Kevin stops breaking, needs must. Good to see Watto come on. Still not sure what is going on with Brunt - I assumed he would get better returns against those tall centre-halves but he didn't really get a sniff of anything. Aside from that, it was good to see Rigg back and, obviously, the defence - the odd mistake and post saving us aside - were great. I wish Frankie wasn't so card-prone. I am sure there was no complacency ahead of the Torquay game but, if there was, yesterday should have blown it away. As everyone's said, an not-particularly-pretty win but the ability to get such results are the sign of a good team.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down