Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Player News

+26
Beau Nash
cannonball
SteveS
striped67
Dusty Lynfield
Sir Ged Roddy
pete mac
the demon headmaster
Ashley
Jon_BOA
Bluebird
Dave
stillmanjunior
2weirdtown
Roman Mike
Manchester Romans
Major Icewater
Marc Monitor
Midsomer-steve
Elmore James
LB
yuffie
BenE
Steve Whites Missus
comrade powell
pmh9800
30 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Player News - Page 2 Empty Re: Player News

Post by Marc Monitor Sun May 08, 2016 8:12 pm

LB wrote:With the signing of Deaman, wonder where this leaves Matt Taylor? He wasn't named as one of the retained or released players, so wonder if his role will be a coaching rather than playing one.

I got the impression that Taylor was always going to be a coach first and a rarely used back up second (in the style of Jimmer)

LB wrote:With regard to signing a goal scorer etc, in view of some of the signings he made in his first spell as manager (eg Scott Partridge) I think we have to be prepared to trust Gary Owers' judgement on this.

As a relative newbie, I hadn't realised he had signed Partridge, that does bode well (although I hope we are going for more younger talent than ex-pros mostly).
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun May 08, 2016 8:13 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they let Watkins go.  Pace is a big factor in his game and he's now 29 so his fitness struggles may not get any easier.  We may have had the best of him.  I think if he lived nearer Bath it might be a different matter in that he would be retained.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 pm

I would imagine he would go for all the reasons you suggest. He hasn't had a great couple of seasons, has a fairly demanding job and he used to share lifts with Adelsbury, didn't he? Indeed, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him down at Truro. Mind you, they may be playing at a higher division than he can handle.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun May 08, 2016 8:23 pm

2weirdtown wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they let Watkins go.  Pace is a big factor in his game and he's now 29 so his fitness struggles may not get any easier.  We may have had the best of him.  I think if he lived nearer Bath it might be a different matter in that he would be retained.

I think he's 31, am sure he's one of the few players older than me. Which makes me feel old.

Owers' player recruitment in the past has been excellent. Evans, Holland and Partridge, three players easily in my all-time City XI, were Owers signings. Most of his loan ones worked out as well, bar a couple of exceptions. Jamie Cook first time around was superb, Darren Hawkins stands out as well.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun May 08, 2016 8:26 pm

Good news. Holland is another player that really impressed me when I first started watching City. Indeed, one that we have found difficult to replace.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sun May 08, 2016 9:22 pm

LB wrote:With the signing of Deaman, wonder where this leaves Matt Taylor? He wasn't named as one of the retained or released players, so wonder if his role will be a coaching rather than playing one.

With regard to signing a goal scorer etc, in view of some of the signings he made in his first spell as manager (eg Scott Partridge) I think we have to be prepared to trust Gary Owers' judgement on this.

Also Luke Matthews? Not sure what this stays about him with 2 CB's and Chas already signed. I quite liked the look of him before he got injured our very first game v Wealdstone. Shocking challenge as I recall.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun May 08, 2016 9:28 pm

Roman Mike wrote:

With regard to signing a goal scorer etc, in view of some of the signings he made in his first spell as manager (eg Scott Partridge) I think we have to be prepared to trust Gary Owers' judgement on this.

Also Luke Matthews? Not sure what this stays about him with 2 CB's and Chas already signed. I quite liked the look of him before he got injured our very first game v Wealdstone.  Shocking challenge as I recall.

Might have dreamt it but I'm sure he went off to America?

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sun May 08, 2016 9:35 pm

Palms wrote:
Roman Mike wrote:

Also Luke Matthews? Not sure what this stays about him with 2 CB's and Chas already signed. I quite liked the look of him before he got injured our very first game v Wealdstone.  Shocking challenge as I recall.

You might be thinking of Eliot Richards. Stitched us up on xfer deadline day. Tampa Bay Rowdies.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun May 08, 2016 9:45 pm

I think Matthews went to America on a similar 'scholarship' arrangement to Noah Keats.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun May 08, 2016 9:54 pm

Roman Mike wrote:
Palms wrote:
Roman Mike wrote:

You might be thinking of Eliot Richards.  Stitched us up on xfer deadline day.  Tampa Bay Rowdies.

Been released by them and replaced with Joe Cole

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun May 08, 2016 10:20 pm

Re Watto - Truro won't be playing at a higher level.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon May 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Interesting article in today's Chronicle explaining Dave Pratt's departure for Chippenham.

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Bath-City-Bid-frontman-Dave-Pratt-blown-water/story-29249445-detail/story.html

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon May 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Wonder what the truth is. We've been accused of throwing money around....Inc getting Pratt from Maidenhead. He must be earning loads now then !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebird Tue May 10, 2016 4:04 pm

Interesting stuff. To put it in perspective I was told what he was earning at Bath, and it wasn't as much as I would have imagined in all honesty. Set that against what Mr Sandell was demanding from us to sign for another year then I think we have a bargain, even if we do have to give Pratty a bit extra.

Bluebird

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue May 10, 2016 6:40 pm

You certainly have a bargain alright. I'm sore as hell at losing him. Whilst he may not have scored much this season the opposition have always had to put a couple of players on him.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Wed May 11, 2016 1:25 pm

It definitely makes who we can get in as a replacement a very interesting question. If we can't compete with the wages being offered by Chippenham, who can we afford to bring in? (That being said, of course there may be other factors and in reality we could have a decent fully stocked front line by the start of the year.)

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Wed May 11, 2016 10:10 pm

From Weymouth's Facebook page:

"Terras boss Jason Matthews would like to give a massive thanks to George Rigg for his services to the club after leaving today to join Bath City."

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed May 11, 2016 10:45 pm

Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed May 11, 2016 11:42 pm

Seems like he used to travel with Matthews, which would make him fairly local (presuming he still lives about 15 mins from Teerton Park).
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Wed May 11, 2016 11:49 pm

We'll miss you Dave.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Wed May 11, 2016 11:53 pm

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu May 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Yes I normally read Sky Sports articles the other way round. It is the player looking for a club. Not a single club is mentioned.

But he's described as a centre back elsewhere.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Thu May 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Ashley wrote:From Weymouth's Facebook page:

"Terras boss Jason Matthews would like to give a massive thanks to George Rigg for his services to the club after leaving today to join Bath City."

There's more

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/rigg-leaves-weymouth-46827/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu May 12, 2016 9:34 pm

Havant (now in Ryman League) and Gosport shedding players Inc Justin Bennett from latter. Always been a pain against us but doubt we can afford him.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Mon May 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Watkins is staying. Deaman just a rumour. Both news from the Chron

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next