Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Player News

+26
Beau Nash
cannonball
SteveS
striped67
Dusty Lynfield
Sir Ged Roddy
pete mac
the demon headmaster
Ashley
Jon_BOA
Bluebird
Dave
stillmanjunior
2weirdtown
Roman Mike
Manchester Romans
Major Icewater
Marc Monitor
Midsomer-steve
Elmore James
LB
yuffie
BenE
Steve Whites Missus
comrade powell
pmh9800
30 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Player News Empty Player News

Post by pmh9800 Sat May 07, 2016 10:54 am

Off the website:

"With the 2015/16 season just ended there is no time to rest as work progresses in advance of the 2016/17 season. The Club is pleased to announce that Gary Owers has agreed terms and looks to build upon what he achieved over the last three months. Gary has been busy in preparing for the new season by having discussions with the squad to build his team for next season.

We are also pleased to announce that Frankie Artus, Dan Ball, Jack Batten, Chas Hemmings, Billy Murphy and Steve Phillips have all signed with negotiations ongoing with other players. Details of further signings will follow.

Leaving the Club are Andy Gallinagh, Ash Kington and Brad Williams. We thank them for their time at City and wish them well for the future."

pmh9800

Back to top Go down

Player News Empty Re: Player News

Post by comrade powell Sat May 07, 2016 11:31 am

A big relief that the manager is staying. Not really surprised by the news of the three departures - Andy Gallinagh in particular will leave us with many good memories of his time at the club and it's sad that his time here ended so low key. It will be very interesting to see which of those players not mentioned are eventually signed on again.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat May 07, 2016 12:16 pm

This is really promising and excellent news to have already tied a number of things down.

I'd propose all those who intend to get and can currently afford a season ticket should purchase to give the board a players budget indication.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat May 07, 2016 12:21 pm

I was impressed by Billy Murphy so it is good that he has decided to stay.

We could do with Frankie being available more often next season. Can he do anything about his disciplinary record?

Not surprised that the others are leaving but agree Gallinagh sort of petered out. Pity we couldn't show him our appreciation.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat May 07, 2016 12:23 pm

As Martin says I don't think the departures are a surprise - those three would have be top of most lists.

Good news on the six who have signed. That's 4/5 of the defence that was so improved in the final weeks of the season. I guess the only surprise is Billy Murphy. He must have been released by Bristol City. I was not really sure about him. He never stood out for being really good or bad.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat May 07, 2016 12:55 pm

The manager clearly sees things in Murphy which have escaped me - let's hope he really steps up to the mark next season.

As for Frankie's disciplinary record, he could do himself and the team a favour by not constantly being in the officials' ears early in matches. I'm sure this goes against him when he mistimes a tackle later on.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat May 07, 2016 1:18 pm

Dave Pratt - http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/chippenhamtown/news/breaking-news-1611296.html - sad but not the player he was.

I haven't seen anything in Billy Murphy, need him to be more involved and dominant.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat May 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Agree with other posts - really pleased that Gary Owers has been confirmed and with the signings so far. Nice to feel enthusiastic for the new season this early!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sat May 07, 2016 1:47 pm

I understand Andy G, has other commitments outside of football that may impede on his footy. Not surprised by Dave Pratt going, didn't impose himself this time round. Let's hope GO has his eyes on another Scotty Partridge

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat May 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Like others pleased by the quick decision to tie up the boss and some players, something we have noticeably been slow to do in recent seasons. Well done the board for responding to his ambition.

I too haven't seen much in Murphy. Disappointed and surprised Dave Pratt has gone. Only 10 goals this season but defences have often had 2 sometimes 3 players on him as he is a known threat on the circuit, and we had little other attacking options or incisive service from midfield. He's only 28 and with respect to Chip, you would think he can certainly still do a job at National South level, there may of course be other issues. Thanks for the memories Dave, you've been awesome IMO.

Good that Frankie is staying, sort of player that will attract others. Retained list hasn't a forward in them, nor has the released list ! so work to do. If GO's recruitment is anything like before then we have cause to be optimistic.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat May 07, 2016 3:18 pm

I thought that Pratty was leaving the moment he was subbed last week and Watkins ran 30 yards to shake his hand. Thanks Dave for all your efforts and goals these past 3 seasons and all the best at Chipp!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat May 07, 2016 3:24 pm

Just checked the stats and of the 10 pens we managed to score this year, Dave Pratt didn't score one. Usually the 20 goal merchants have a swathe of pens to keep them ticking over during the lean times, perhaps a confidence thing.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sat May 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Well.I was fairly calm, by my standards, today, until I read this thread. I am now in a state of shock.

I am totally gutted by Dave's departure from our Club - and surprised that he has taken a step down the league ladder. His workrate for us was formidable, and, although ten goals does not exactly set a new record, he was still our top scorer (I think). I am pretty sure that his 'assists' were more than any other player too. even up to the final match when he successfully supplied McCooty. There is far more to football than sticking the ball into the net. Roger Hunt was a goal scorer - Dave is a goal scorer too, but his contribution on the field of play is far more than that. He is a work-horse extrordinaire.

I will remain very sad about this news - at least until we learn who we have yet to sign up front. Whoever it is/they are, he/they will have to be ruddy good!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat May 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:This is really promising and excellent news to have already tied a number of things down.

I'd propose all those who intend to get and can currently afford a season ticket should purchase to give the board a players budget indication.

If they had included an early bird option, we would. As it is, it can wait.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat May 07, 2016 5:52 pm

I am surprised but not shocked by Pratt's departure. I would have given him another season to see if this season was a blip but can understand why Owers let him go. A great servant of the club. If, however, McCootie stays, I would be baffled. I wonder about Watkins. The last two seasons haven't been great for him.

Very very pleased to see Phillips is staying and Batten/Ball. Artus is very useful - agreed about the discipline issues - and definitely glad to keep Chas. Not really a consistent performer but would like to see what Owers does with him.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat May 07, 2016 6:14 pm

Don't really understand what people are looking for in a midfielder. To me the midfield was substantially better with Murphy in it than it was before. Hence no surprise that Kington and Williams have been allowed to leave. Potentially Chas will not play in midfield again except as a sweeper. So I am not disappointed that Artus and Murphy form the basis of the midfield. If we can find better then great.

Like Martin I guessed Pratty was on his way when he was given a chance for an ovation. I'm not surprised about that either but we will need a proper goalscorer to replace him.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat May 07, 2016 6:42 pm

Chippenham should do well next season!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Major Icewater Sat May 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Good to have some early detailed information. Also good to receive a newsletter from the Bid even if its content was somewhat underwhelming.

Major Icewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun May 08, 2016 8:30 am

Basingstoke fan reports that their centre half 22 year old Jack Deaman has signed for us.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun May 08, 2016 9:34 am

Ticks all the boxes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Deaman - hopefully can be our target for set pieces.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Sun May 08, 2016 10:22 am

We tried to sign Deaman last year when he was released by Cheltenham. I think he lives/lived in Bath anyway so that rumour seems credible.

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun May 08, 2016 3:58 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:

It seems highly unlikely that they will do so now, so you really need to get over it.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun May 08, 2016 4:07 pm

With the signing of Deaman, wonder where this leaves Matt Taylor? He wasn't named as one of the retained or released players, so wonder if his role will be a coaching rather than playing one.

With regard to signing a goal scorer etc, in view of some of the signings he made in his first spell as manager (eg Scott Partridge) I think we have to be prepared to trust Gary Owers' judgement on this.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sun May 08, 2016 4:17 pm

Is there a theme developing here? Seems like all confirmed signings are relatively local.
If so, I guess Andy Watkins is a doubt.
Could all be bs of course
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun May 08, 2016 8:09 pm

LB wrote:
Marc Monitor wrote:

It seems highly unlikely that they will do so now, so you really need to get over it.

Well, I sort of have, you will notice.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next