Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Player News

+26
Beau Nash
cannonball
SteveS
striped67
Dusty Lynfield
Sir Ged Roddy
pete mac
the demon headmaster
Ashley
Jon_BOA
Bluebird
Dave
stillmanjunior
2weirdtown
Roman Mike
Manchester Romans
Major Icewater
Marc Monitor
Midsomer-steve
Elmore James
LB
yuffie
BenE
Steve Whites Missus
comrade powell
pmh9800
30 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Player News - Page 3 Empty Re: Player News

Post by Luton Roman Mon May 16, 2016 5:53 pm

8 goal front man is not enough from Andy. Like him as a player but end product must improve. Cant fault commitment from Cornwall though. The 20 goal front man is still awaited I guess...

Some rumours on Chip forum about Sandell coming back but he has re-signed. Leading scorer in SL last year, Chip fans looking forward to partnership with Pratt.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Tue May 17, 2016 12:51 am

8 goals from a winger wasn't a bad return. City have used him differently than Truro where he was their front man. Even more of a shame now that we couldn't match Chipp's offer to Dave, as he and Andy read each other's game so well.

God - Chipps look stronger by the minute! Didn't realise Bluebird had so much money!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue May 17, 2016 10:46 am

I agree about Watto. I think we have to accept he isn't a 20 goal a season striker but a midfielder who will chip in with a decent number of goals.

I pleased he has re-signed as I think we are a better team with him in it.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue May 17, 2016 11:03 am

We were in a relegation struggle because Dave Pratt and Andy Watkins were not scoring.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue May 17, 2016 11:42 am

Andy Watkins got into a lot of goalscoring positions for a midfielder, which is good, but didn't finish a high proportion, which isn't good.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebird Tue May 17, 2016 12:21 pm

God - Chipps look stronger by the minute! Didn't realise Bluebird had so much money!

Oh yes, a bottomless pit me Laughing

Bit of a smokescreen by Mr Owers in the Chronicle I feel. Dave Pratt approached us, wanting to come back, and he's played for our Manager before of course.

Bluebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Tue May 17, 2016 1:11 pm

I wonder if he is going back to Chippenham in order to beat his world record for being sent off after just 3 seconds in a game (December 2008) http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7802865.stm
We shall miss him

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue May 17, 2016 5:48 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Andy Watkins got into a lot of goalscoring positions for a midfielder, which is good, but didn't finish a high proportion, which isn't good.

Can't disagree with any of these comments. However, I thought he looked better under Gary Owers so hopefully some decent coaching and tactics will help him shine. Obviously up for the cause so watta top guy!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat May 21, 2016 8:34 am

Nick McCootie signs up. Pleased bout that as I'm keen to see what Owers can get out of him.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat May 21, 2016 5:53 pm

Hmmm, not so sure about that. I wonder if he would have been re-signed if Pratt had stayed. I like Nick and he is an honest enough player who tries hard. Personally, though, I don't think that, apart from a couple of spectacular goals, he is up to this level of football. Even if Owers an work some magic to get some more ability out of hum, his hamstrings aren't ever going to get better and lead to him playing a whole match.

Now he's signed, I will be glad to be proved wrong, of course.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat May 21, 2016 9:05 pm

He would have been top of my list of released players. Presumably Owers sees his potential and I guess will insist on far more consistency from him next season. Perhaps he can work on his first touch over the summer...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat May 21, 2016 10:26 pm

I think if the first time someone had seen Nick was at Hayes, with the way he took his goal, they would have thought he was the real deal. Pace, strength and a great finish. Obviously the problem has been that these glimpses of quality have been too few and far between.

I still think that if he can finally get over the groin injury issues, which he appeared to have in the closing games of the season, then he can be a real threat at this level so I fully understand why Owers has given him another chance. Oh, and he needs to cut out the silly bookings but I think that was largely because he was out on his feet toward the end of a lot of games.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sun May 22, 2016 10:02 am

If Nick ends up being our only / main attacking options I think we will struggle. He doesn't get enough game time through injury and doesn't have a huge conversion ratio of chances to goals (anecdotal). I'd hope we can find a 20 goal a season poacher who gets goals off his backside and use Nick to soften up and distract defences and / or as another option in the last 15.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun May 22, 2016 11:57 am

Owers will improve Nick's goalscoring just by getting him to have a shot. He seemed reluctant to let one fly last season.

I think we all recognise both his failings and his strengths. We need more of the latter and less of the former but hope Gary will be able to bring someone in to augment the attack.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun May 22, 2016 5:24 pm

I must admit I'm a fan of Nick so slightly biased. Although no more, or less biased than those people who don't recognise that Steve Phillips doesn't like coming for a ball Shocked

Under the old regime and with the players we had I didn't think the style of play totally suited his game. I agree playing in a certain style his first touch can be woeful and every time he attempts to tackle I expect the ref to show him a card..... but I'm really glad he stayed.

It'll be interesting who GO brings in to play alongside him and the manner in which he expects them to link up.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun May 22, 2016 5:50 pm

Personally, I hope we continue to play in the style of play that we did just more effectively.

Hadn't noticed that about Phillips. Will keep an eye out.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun May 22, 2016 7:57 pm

are we going to start calling him Dracula?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Mon May 30, 2016 8:44 pm

I see Naby Diallo has just been released by Dover. I thought he was pretty good when he played for us season before last......think he got on well with a lot of the players too and is Bristol based. From memory he was very quick and could play anywhere across midfield and full back. Did get sent off a couple of times in his short stay though......could be the kind of flexible signing we need with what will always be a squad thin on numbers.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon May 30, 2016 11:21 pm

Was sent off against Dover twice, so him going there must have been a bit like Clough going to Leeds. Sort of.

Bumped into him after his final appearance for the club on a night out in town. He had to point out who he was to me. Not sure if it'd happen with Premier League players.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Tue May 31, 2016 12:09 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:Was sent off against Dover twice, so him going there must have been a bit like Clough going to Leeds. Sort of.

Bumped into him after his final appearance for the club on a night out in town. He had to point out who he was to me. Not sure if it'd happen with Premier League players.

Good quiz question this:
Name the player sent off twice in four days against the same team?
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:41 pm

Bradford goal machine Sam Jordan has finally left and signed for Weymouth. Many have monitored his progress inc us I think.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Any more news on the players front? Or is GO waiting for the Euros to finish....

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Elmore James wrote:Any more news on the players front? Or is GO waiting for the Euros to finish....

On the basis that we have a game on Saturday (football on 2nd July, really!) is there any player news, as by my reckoning we don't have enough to field a team at the moment! I am sure that Gary has it well in hand, but it would be nice to hear something.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:34 pm

LB wrote:
On the basis that we have a game on Saturday (football on 2nd July, really!)

I was looking forward to posting that Saturday's friendly would have been the first time our season kicked off with England still in a tournament...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next