Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The rule of thirds

+2
stillmanjunior
City 'til we're relegated
6 posters

Go down

The rule of thirds Empty The rule of thirds

Post by City 'til we're relegated Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:15 am

I propose a change to the numbers promoted and relegated in each division of football. Getting additional promotion places seems to be like trying to get blood out of a stone. Football at lower levels is suffering from a lack of interest and the alternatives 'entertainments' on offer (tv etc). Some of the younger members of my family think that non-league begins outside the Premier League. They don't know anything about the Championship, let alone other divisions. My idea is for a third to gain promotion and a third relegation. 'Madness' some might say. But why not? It would keep things interesting throughout the season, and the final game of the season might have promotion or relegation at stake for a club. What a crowd puller that might be. It would also ease the log jam, as is evident in the number of ex league clubs queuing up to return to their 'rightful' place. It would allow more fluid movement of clubs in football.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

The rule of thirds Empty Re: The rule of thirds

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:24 am

Surely we'd have more of a risk losing a supporter going by your username? affraid
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:38 am

It certainly created a lot of interest the year before Conf N + S were introduced, when half the clubs at our level were striving for the promised land. Personally, I think this idea would soon lose its appeal and I far prefer your idea of increased regionalisation.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:04 pm

As I said in the other thread, the main problem at the moment is the total lack of variety. It's like Groundhog Day going to some of these away games.

Before Conference South we had 10 seasons in what was classed as a Southern League, with three after the re-jig in non-league. Even then we had some trips north, can remember going to places like Rothwell, Atherstone, Hinckley (awful grounds mind you), Moor Green etc. Then there were still the occasional eastern trips, the likes of Cambridge City and Dover plus many more. We also had the locality of Dorchester, Weymouth, Newport for a bit, even Tiverton.

Now it's just the same old thing. Who are we likely to gain this season? Let's say it's Welling, Dartford, Maidstone and Margate. It's just the same thing again. A couple of those games might hold some appeal for a season or two but that'll be it.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Agreed. The trick is to make the game just part of the day out. While still helping to organise the coach, I'm afraid I've tired of Reading Services and the M25 several times a season. If I ever return to somewhere like Chelmsford, it will be by using the train - spend a morning doing something interesting in London, get the latest possible train out to that dreadful town, with a bus to and from the ground. Have a nice meal near Paddington and back home by 10. Even if we lose, I feel I've had a good day.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:56 pm

I think you are confusing what's good for the individual experience and what's good for football.

Away support in this division is pitiful. Would a change of the teams in it change that? I don't think so except for maybe a tiny number of local derbies.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Yes, but I suppose it's the interest from home fans which is key. Maybe younger ones are less inclined to miss fixtures with our traditional rivals, but are they attracted by Concord, Whitehawk and Borehamwood? I suppose if we play the likes of these 3 regularly over the next 20 years they will be seen in the same light as Merthyr, Weymouth and Cheltenham - I certainly look forward to fixtures with more distant rivals like Wealdstone and Dover because we have a long history of playing them.

Not sure how I'm confusing what's good for me and good for football but I think you need to remember that most teams' supporters view a trip to us as one of their most distant and expensive. I believe away support is pretty good for many when they are facing journeys of less than 2 hours.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:30 pm

You want the football rivalries to reflect the non-football regional rivalries though, I couldn't find Whitehawk, Concord or Borehamwood on a map! Whereas I remember really feeling the sting of Chipp beating us at Twerton Park because they're a smaller town just down the road.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Give me diversity... I would find it pretty dull visiting the same area season in season out. The anomalies of clubs which do not fit into the local area make it far more of an adventure.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down