Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thomas and Hayfield

+4
PHILB1973#
Dave
comrade powell
Paul1978
8 posters

Go down

Thomas and Hayfield Empty Thomas and Hayfield

Post by Paul1978 Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:08 pm

Have to say our management team and scouting network have found 2 quality players from the lower levels of the English pyramid. Remarkable too think Thomas was 2 divisions lower than Conference South. Hayfield also a great signing from 1 level lower. Love it when a player is signed from lower levels and makes it. Last player I can really think of is Andy Sandell but I guess there's way more. Can anyone else remember any successful signings from lower leagues in recent years? Does stillman not come on this forum anymore. He'd answer this question instantly. Incredible knowledge that legend of the club.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Thomas and Hayfield Empty Re: Thomas and Hayfield

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:14 pm

Rex Mannings
comrade powell
comrade powell

2weirdtown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:38 pm

comrade powell wrote:Rex Mannings

Thomas and Hayfield 61bg7ol6OxL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:24 pm

Mannings good but replaced by an even better player in Thomas. Tight budget means he had to go.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:33 pm

Maybe that was so but his few appearances suggested his face didn’t fit.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Digger likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:39 pm

I forgot Joe Raynes. How could I possibly forget him. He's one of our own too.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:45 pm

comrade powell wrote:Maybe that was so but his few appearances suggested his face didn’t fit.
Maybe it didn't fit or maybe Thomas was being lined up mid way through last season. Beckhams face didn't fit with Ferguson and the bloke with the best right foot ever got booted out because of his relationship with posh spice.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:59 pm

Or perhaps both could have been accommodated in the squad at the expense of another?

(and good try but I’m not biting regarding Beckham! 😉)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:09 am

I should had just posted a link to the Alex Fletcher thread as he's ex Tivvy.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Paul1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:28 am

comrade powell wrote:Or perhaps both could have been accommodated in the squad at the expense of another?

Who would you leave out our current squad for Mannings?
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:29 am

PHILB1973# wrote:I should had just posted a link to the Alex Fletcher thread as he's ex Tivvy.
Wow forgot he was signed from a lower level too.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:37 am

Not sure what is meant by recent years but how about Darren Edwards.

Peter Newman

Paul1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:45 am

Paul1978 wrote:
comrade powell wrote:Or perhaps both could have been accommodated in the squad at the expense of another?

I’m not talking about the current squad as Mannings isn’t part of it. I’ve posted many times on my opinion of last season’s midfield and he and Spokes were the only ones released. Who I’d leave out is irrelevant - but two of our midfielders have made three starts so far between them. I think Mannings could have offered more than that. Did you watch him at all last season?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Digger Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:38 pm

comrade powell wrote:Maybe that was so but his few appearances suggested his face didn’t fit.
Despite being ' a player I've been after....,'

Digger

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:38 pm

comrade powell wrote:
Paul1978 wrote:

I’m not talking about the current squad as Mannings isn’t part of it. I’ve posted many times on my opinion of last season’s midfield and he and Spokes were the only ones released. Who I’d leave out is irrelevant - but two of our midfielders have made three starts so far between them. I think Mannings could have offered more than that. Did you watch him at all last season?
Never seem him live but I can't see how he's better than Thomas. No way. So the correct decision has been made to release Mannings. Haven't followed WSM performance this season. Is he playing well. I assume he is. Sorry powll I've only just started reading the forum again so haven't seen posts about last seasons midfield. That's all history now anyway.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:44 pm

Do you mean Mannings is better than Lines and Frear. I guess those 2 started 3 games between them. I'd rather have Lines and Frear than Mannings and Spokes. They offer invaluable experience in the dressing room as well as on the pitch. They'll be needed at some point with such a small squad. We seam too have many leaders on the pitch.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:55 pm

Digger wrote:
Despite being ' a player I've been after....,'
doesn't every manager say that on a new signing. Can't exactly say anything else. Some players succeed some fail. This is history. Time to move on.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:48 pm

There seems to be one player each season who never gets given a proper chance. I think the expression is that 'the manager doesn't have confidence in them'. It is difficult to judge how good or bad they are.
But you can get an idea by how their career goes afterwards. Chippenham and especially Taunton seem to be able to resurrect the careers of some of our flops / discards.
I thought Freer was lucky to be retained but he will not let you down wherever he plays so is useful on the bench. At times last season Lines was our standout player so it is surprising he has started so rarely but I suppose Smith's improvement is the reason for that.
I would pick out Russe as being the best import this season.
BenE
BenE

comrade powell and 2weirdtown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:11 pm

BenE wrote:There seems to be one player each season who never gets given a proper chance. I think the expression is that  'the manager doesn't have confidence in them'. It is difficult to judge how good or bad they are.
But you can get an idea by how their career goes afterwards. Chippenham and especially Taunton seem to be able to resurrect the careers of some of our flops / discards.
I thought Freer was lucky to be retained but he will not let you down wherever he plays so is useful on the bench. At times last season Lines was our standout player so it is surprising he has started so rarely but I suppose Smith's improvement is the reason for that.
I would pick out Russe as being the best import this season.
yes russe, greenslade and parselle all ex chippenham and we've certainly poached there best players the last few years. however surprisingly chippenham still recruit well and seam to hold there own in conference south so fair play too them. hopefully will keep poaching there best players.
who have chippenham and taunton resurected?. think most went to taunton when they were southern league. last season they were nearly relegated. stearn of course a legend. loved him. ball loved too. mcootie was decent. lloyd james ex football league player, jarvis can't stand him, sims burgess gone on loan too yate. chippenham, eddie jones who dont track back and spokes, dont know much about spokes but im sure ruuse is better. chippenham never resurected adam mann, ryan brunt. im strugging too think of one resurection who went to chippenham.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:56 pm

Paul1978 wrote: adam mann

There's another one plucked from levels below who flourished. Just a shame for us that his heart wasn't in it at all for the last six months or more while pursuing a modelling career, delighted for him that it's worked out though.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:22 am

On resurrections I’m told Luke Spokes is running games for Chippenham - almost played every minute. He’s not a JG midfielder so wasn’t going to hack it here but I know he was highly thought of by his peers here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:52 pm

A_discreet_Roman wrote:On resurrections I’m told Luke Spokes is running games for Chippenham - almost played every minute. He’s not a JG midfielder so wasn’t going to hack it here but I know he was highly thought of by his peers here.
Russe over Spokes any day. Watch Russe celebrations on you tube when we win. He's like Harris, Hoggy, Holloway. Every good side needs a fired up player. Raises fans and players around him. I'm sure your instigating but if you believe Spokes should be in our small squad at instead of Hayfield, Russe, Lines or Smith fair enough.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:25 pm

A_discreet_Roman wrote:On resurrections I’m told Luke Spokes is running games for Chippenham - almost played every minute. He’s not a JG midfielder so wasn’t going to hack it here but I know he was highly thought of by his peers here.

Horses for courses, and Russe exactly right for this track at the moment.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down