Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did you follow another team before Bath City?

5 posters

Go down

Did you follow another team before Bath City? Empty Did you follow another team before Bath City?

Post by Khelang Roman Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:19 pm

I started following Bath City in the last few months.  In one post on this forum, I was asked why I am a fan when I live in Northern Thailand.  After I posted my response, someone mentioned that are others who followed other teams before following Bath City.  It got me wondering what journey others made - Here's mine:

Just to say firstly, that 'Lanna' was a kingdom in Northern Thailand from about the 13th to 18th Century.  It's a commonly used term people still use here, much like people in Bath use 'Roman'.  I've been living in Northern Thailand since 2006.

Well, I knew I would have to explain myself one day and I just hope I don't get too much stick for it.

I was a Carlisle Utd fan from 1972 to 2017 - Over the years I got fed up with how money is ruining the game.  The 200 Million Quid Neymar transfer to PSG did it for me.  Deep down I knew it was coming, as I remember Trevor Francis being the first 1 Million Pound British Transfer.  Stopped following all football.  I'm not from Bath but went to school there in the 70's.  Followed Bath Rugby for years(A teacher, Damian Murphy and a fellow student, Johnny Palmer, played for them) and Somerset Cricket(saw them play Australia in 1977) to fill the sports void.  Felt the football itch again a few months ago.  I still felt the 'Money' thing but wanted a club that valued the fans and community at the core.  Also, looking for a club that was fairly close to Bath Rugby and Somerset Cricket.  So, that's why I chose Bath City.  Please be gentle Very Happy

Khelang Roman

Midsomer-chris and PHILB1973# like this post

Back to top Go down

Did you follow another team before Bath City? Empty Re: Did you follow another team before Bath City?

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:28 am

I watched Swindon Town as a child and teenager. The Swindon goalkeeper Kenny Allen visited our school (I didn't know of the Bath City link then) and it always stuck in my mind as Worzel Gummidge was on television at the time and they seemed to have a lot in common!

In slightly later years I saw Steve White & Paul Bodin play for Swindon - more Bath City links, then moved to the north east to see Gary Owers play for Sunderland.

Have recently seen Mbappe at PSG so maybe he'll end up at Twerton for the 24/25 season

Steve Whites Missus

Midsomer-chris and Khelang Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Did you follow another team before Bath City? Empty Re: Did you follow another team before Bath City?

Post by daven Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:34 am

I followed Wealdstone FC before following Bath City, in the early 60's. Then we moved from Harrow to Radstock (near Bath). So I have been following Bath City for 60 years! Now having moved to Dunster ((Minehead) I am grateful that we have Bath City Radio to tune into the matches.

daven

Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan the Metalhead Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:19 pm

When I was a wee lad in the 70s, I didn't really follow another team, but, and this will sound funny, I did have the Greek national team replica kit....... My mum was a single parent then, and couldn't afford a Man utd or Leeds utd kit, but she found the Greek kit in a 2nd hand shop. Caused many a scratched head at school 😂

Dylan the Metalhead

Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:18 am

My Dad started taking me to football after England won the world cup. As it happened Coventry won promotion to the first division in that first season so my allegiance to City was secure. I couldn't imagine supporting anyone else.
But when they were finally relegated to the championship the level of incompetence at the top was rudely exposed. The massive debts swallowed up the parachute payments and they were saved from bankruptcy but not further years of pain by a hedge fund.
I was one of thousands who saw what that hedge fund was doing to the club and decided we would not attend until they were gone.
Into the void stepped Bath City. At my first game I was impressed by the atmosphere and felt at home. I have not missed many home games since and despite Coventry being taken over will remain a season ticket holder here because quite frankly this is where real football is.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Khelang Roman Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:13 pm

tovid wrote:My Dad started taking me to football after England won the world cup. As it happened Coventry won promotion to the first division in that first season so my allegiance to City was secure. I couldn't imagine supporting anyone else.
But when they were finally relegated to the championship the level of incompetence at the top was rudely exposed. The massive debts swallowed up the parachute payments and they were saved from bankruptcy but not further years of pain by a hedge fund.
I was one of thousands who saw what that hedge fund was doing to the club and decided we would not attend until they were gone.
Into the void stepped Bath City. At my first game I was impressed by the atmosphere and felt at home. I have not missed many home games since and despite Coventry being taken over will remain a season ticket holder here because quite frankly this is where real football is.

Oh Yes, I remember Coventry having all sorts of problems.  I remember fans getting angry about the stadium as well as other things.  From what you say it seems worse.  Nice comments at the end about what football is really about.  I often wonder if more recent generations see football and clubs in the way us older ones do.  I've seen a few videos about fans at Non League clubs and many do get the ethos we were raised on.  It seems that Non league attendances are rising.  I don't know if it's because Premier League clubs are just milking the fans or it's because of the atmosphere and closer connection to players.  For me, my old club, Carlisle Utd, won the League Two play offs this year, first promotion in donkeys years.  I wish them well but it's Bath City for me now.

Khelang Roman

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down