Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taunton thread

+11
the demon headmaster
Steve Whites Missus
City 'til we're relegated
LB
sirkev
tovid
Luton Roman
BenE
comrade powell
Jon_BOA
Bristol end
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Taunton thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Taunton thread

Post by SteveS Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:22 am

The idea that the Board persevere with Gill because the club can't afford promotion (true) and they don't believe he can deliver it is one that crossed my mind but I am very much in the camp that what he has delivered could be achieved and improved upon at far less cost, remember £82k loss year ending May 23 which most still want to seem to ignore.
He very often talks about having technically good players which I think is a constant indication of his academy coaching background. The record in money making cup competitions is poor often losing to lower league teams where we come up against players just prepared to roll their sleeves up and get stuck in and we come up short. I believe this club needs more of these sort of players who mostly come at far less cost and represent better value for money than ones he has brought in who he thinks are technically good. I would say Freer is a prime example of this, I don't go but hear very mixed reports about him - he must be on very good money and do people think the club has got a good return? Seems to spend a lot of time on the bench.
Beside the playing side Gill has brought a lot of his unpopularity on himself. His constant social media shall we say dialogue with supporters and others has led to a lot of bad feeling against him. The club should have come down hard on this but have allowed it to continue although I think they have made more efforts recently to curb this. As I understand it dialogue has not only been with supporters but past players, who talk to other players and clubs. This has led imo to himself and the club losing respect locally. If you don't believe it try going to some local clubs and mentioning his name and see what reaction you get.
As for Comrade's comment that when he was on the Board they were all basically doing a good job what i would say is that since that time the make up of the Board has changed and people have left. The original Community Directors were selected by the Society but some have left and it now seems new members are proposed by existing Board members and just rubber stamped at the next AGM as they are the only candidates. Certainly to my knowledge one of these 'new' members has caused to upset to several people and does not seem to meet the profile of a community Board member. The answer of course is for the Society to nominate some more suitable people but who these people are I don't know and I admit I cannot really suggest anyone at this time. The worry to me is that the Board is now returning to the sort of set up we had pre community club. Certainly the loss of £82k represent a lack of financial control by the Board and they need to be held accountable for this, especially at a time when crowds were increasing.
It will be interesting to see what happens next season, Gill talks about more physicality as he does at the end of every season but never does much about it. I hear mutterings that some players are not altogether happy with him but at the end of the day money talks at this level and if those who may attract interest elsewhere still get offered more money here they will likely stay. I would say Chippenham are operating with a lot less budget and also Taunton. If Weston come up that is a bit of an unknown. Yeovil look like they are coming down but would expect them to stay full time in a bid to go straight back up.
Overall another year of Gill is I think a bad decision but lots of other concerns, wonder what the commercial side will look like next season when the full impact of Bob's departure will become evident?

SteveS

comrade powell and threeday week like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:18 am

Gerry makes some good points but for me I don't expect loads of goals and nor do I demand wins at any cost. I just hope to be entertained.
Generally this can be characterised by my team having an attacking outlook. One thing that drives me mad is when players get in a good position down the flank but then turn back and the ball ends up back in our own half. This is the modern coaches dream as you retain the ball but what is the point?
It has got to the stage where I want the game to finish to save me from more tedium.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:05 pm

BenE, it’s called academy football.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:18 pm

So there is no escape from it. Pretty soon all games will be like watching England in a friendly.
Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!
BenE
BenE

2weirdtown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:52 pm

It is football by administration. The aim of administration is to reduce everything to a process so that every task can be measured and defined and everyone can be judged on equal terms.
It is devoid of artistry, skill, inspiration, joy, passion and adventure.
BenE
BenE

2weirdtown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:24 pm

Totally agree with BenE.
The last game I enjoyed at TP was when Adam Mekki played. He was willing to run at defenders and also put in good crosses. I thought he was the best player on the pitch and I briefly thought we might have a chance of the playoffs but then he was injured and hasn't returned. Does anyone know what the situation is with him ?

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:53 pm

At least we don’t have two players playing the ball out from the six yard box at goal kicks….. yet

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2