Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taunton thread

+11
the demon headmaster
Steve Whites Missus
City 'til we're relegated
LB
sirkev
tovid
Luton Roman
BenE
comrade powell
Jon_BOA
Bristol end
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Taunton thread Empty Taunton thread

Post by Luton Roman Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:15 pm

First of 5 games v teams in the bottom 8 fighting for their lives. Question is, do we have the fight to match them?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Taunton thread Empty Re: Taunton thread

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:02 pm

There will be plenty of good ex-city players who will want to prove a point (or three) to Jerry tomorrow.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristol end Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:05 pm

Poor performance, too many players on autopilot.

The new bars might be generating much needed money but it's killing the atmosphere. It was quite noisy for the first 15 minutes but then half the people left to get another pint.

Bristol end

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:17 pm

Agree very poor performance. I don't blame people queueing for a drink there was nothing happening on the pitch to entertain them.
BenE
BenE

Bristol end likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:20 pm

Bristol end wrote:Poor performance, too many players on autopilot.

The new bars might be generating much needed money but it's killing the atmosphere. It was quite noisy for the first 15 minutes but then half the people left to get another pint.

I agree that the bar isn't helping atmosphere, but we're so utterly terrible to watch that there is no chance to make atmosphere. The few games we have been entertaining this year the atmosphere has been ok, but it's hard to sing when you watch your team pass you to sleep week in and week out.

Jon_BOA

the demon headmaster and Bristol end like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:18 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:There will be plenty of good ex-city players who will want to prove a point (or three) to Jerry tomorrow.

And they certainly did. Just one point from the two matches against several players not deemed good enough for Bath City. The manager talks about keeping the bulk of this squad together - presumably the best is yet to come from them...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Jon_BOA likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:42 pm

There have been constant rumblings on the terraces this season from people not normally noted for criticism about the poor quality of the football on offer.
It is an unattractive prospect that we can look forward to another season of the same.
BenE
BenE

Jon_BOA and sirkev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:29 pm

JG interview up on YouTube. Lack of physicality and desire. Need for creative squad building with more robust players that can last 40 games. Hopefully a more tough tackling, take no prisoners midfield incoming.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:57 pm

Luton Roman wrote:JG interview up on YouTube. Lack of physicality and desire. Need for creative squad building with more robust players that can last 40 games. Hopefully a more tough tackling, take no prisoners midfield incoming.

Ben Gerring?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:01 pm

As an aside I still don’t get the continual comments over the season about the quality of the pitch. It always used to be about how good the playing surface was.
Has it deteriorated, or is this a 3G ploy?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:18 pm

There has been a lot of rain but the pitch was in very good condition today. Indeed Newport played on it Tuesday and were impressed with the quality.

tovid
tovid

Steve Whites Missus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sirkev Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:56 am

BenE wrote:There have been constant rumblings on the terraces this season from people not normally noted for criticism about the poor quality of the football on offer.
It is an unattractive prospect that we can look forward to another season of the same.

Totally agree. The rumblings are getting louder. Very poor yesterday and the extension of the manager's contract is very worrying. I was hoping for a change of direction but sadly I can see another season of early cup exits and a style of football that has become predictable and easy to play against especially at home. Fair play to Taunton they were poor but we were worse. Hoping for an improvement on Monday.

sirkev

Digger and Bristol end like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:16 pm

Luton Roman wrote:JG interview up on YouTube. Lack of physicality and desire. Need for creative squad building with more robust players that can last 40 games. Hopefully a more tough tackling, take no prisoners midfield incoming.

Hasn't he been saying much the same for the last few seasons but it hasn't materialised?

LB

kermit likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:44 am

One could say - The club can't afford to go up and don't want to be relegated. Job done again by JG. Is this how the board are thinking?

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:04 pm

City 'til we're relegated wrote:One could say - The club can't afford to go up and don't want to be relegated. Job done again by JG. Is this how the board are thinking?

My thoughts also, but that goes against the proposal by the supporters society so surely as a community club we should be making our voices heard more. Let’s threaten to sell all our shares to Dale Vince ;-)

Steve Whites Missus

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:44 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't that been the theme since we lost the home playoff to Dorking. I do NOT think the manager is capable of changing, so he must be changed.

Obviously, the Board see it differently.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristol end Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:49 pm

There seems to be a total breakdown in the relationship between the vocal supporters who chant & sing and the manager. Similar issues probably happen at other clubs but I've never seen it this bad in my years supporting City.

Bristol end

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:45 pm

Nor me. And I can’t recall the mood on this forum being so angry since the dreadful reign of a certain chair.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:12 am

Surely not that bad!!!!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:51 am

The club operates under the banner of being a 'Community Club' but you have Directors (or at least a majority of them) acting in contradiction to the majority of supporters wishes. Things have been wrong for some time, a few people like to have a pop at me but I feel my views are fully vindicated.
What next? Jerry's play off Crowd Funder season 23/24? When they want your money it becomes your club again.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:11 pm

It will be interesting to see how things move forward from here. It is difficult to see the board backing down from their decision, and if there is now a contract in place aren't we in the position we have been for the past three years where we can't afford to pay it off? Experience of those years also shows that however bad things get it is unlikely that JG will stand down.

If that is the scenario, then perhaps we need to grit our teeth and get on with it. I totally respect the people on here and social media who are talking about not renewing their season tickets and attending fewer games, and that is there prerogative. I just feel that, having supported the club for a long time, it has to be bigger than any one person. Martin refers to a certain ex-chair and I can think of plenty of people who have been at this club who I didn't like or agree with - to a man (or woman) they have gone and the club, through many trials and tribulations, is still here and for me that is the most important thing. End of sermon.

LB

comrade powell and daven like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by threeday week Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:32 pm

LB wrote:It will be interesting to see how things move forward from here. It is difficult to see the board backing down from their decision, and if there is now a contract in place aren't we in the position we have been for the past three years where we can't afford to pay it off? Experience of those years also shows that however bad things get it is unlikely that JG will stand down.

If that is the scenario, then perhaps we need to grit our teeth and get on with it. I totally respect the people on here and social media who are talking about not renewing their season tickets and attending fewer games, and that is there prerogative. I just feel that, having supported the club for a long time, it has to be bigger than any one person. Martin refers to a certain ex-chair and I can think of plenty of people who have been at this club who I didn't like or agree with - to a man (or woman) they have gone and the club, through many trials and tribulations, is still here and for me that is the most important thing. End of sermon.
That is exactly the attitude the board hopes we will take but I for one won't,I watched my first game in 1986 and have probably missed fewer home games in that time than I have fingers I may watch the last two home games but I won't go back ( if I live long enough) until Gill goes will be interesting to see which players will stay or who he can recruit given his reputation around local clubs and players

threeday week

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:38 pm

LB wrote:It will be interesting to see how things move forward from here. It is difficult to see the board backing down from their decision, and if there is now a contract in place aren't we in the position we have been for the past three years where we can't afford to pay it off? Experience of those years also shows that however bad things get it is unlikely that JG will stand down.

A bit of perspective LB, thanks. I too get the mood, safe to say We.Are.All.Disappointed, no one gets to be more disappointed than anyone else! However in the end no player, manager or fan is bigger than the club, we place our trust in the Board who we generally believe make decisions in the best interest of the club. When JG eventually leaves we would trust the Board to find a replacement. So we don't agree with all decisions they make. Tough, thems the breaks, we the fans have people on the Board to represent our interests.

Been reflecting on what fans want:

Success - yes we want to win more than we lose, but arguably we don't want promotion cos we cant afford it. So we want that sweet spot of a play off place but no further. Bit like Chip last year. And a Cup run, yes my sore for sure is a Cup run;

Entertainment - we want goals and wins (see above) 4-3, 3-2 etc, but not lose 2-3, 3-4, but actually relentless 1-0, 2-0 non entertaining wins would be ok cos they're wins (see above), but losing and not scoring at home is not on I agree. We just want wins dont we?;

The manager - as the joke goes the characteristic all fans want in a manager is to be lucky ! which would bring success. Is JG a lucky manager? I wouldn't say so, but again tough, get on with it. Successful? 2 play offs, Covid, relegation battle, mid table, no Cup run. Hmm, needs something next season for sure. Value for money? Don't know or what the going rate is for an NLS manager, easy to say we could get someone cheaper and be more successful. Likeable? Marmite for sure. I don't have to like a City manager, wouldn't be high on my criteria. JG's 43% success is ok, not many managers get over 50%.

So fans can make up their own mind of course. For me I'll be there for Concord as planned and at Cheshunt as just around the M25. And if you really want to see what disappointment is like checkout the Yeovil social media. Ouch.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:11 pm

pete mac wrote:Surely not that bad!!!!

Just to clarify, I was referring to the mood of supporters, not likening the present situation at the Club with that of just over a decade ago.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:53 pm

Luton Roman wrote:
A bit of perspective LB, thanks. I too get the mood, safe to say We.Are.All.Disappointed, no one gets to be more disappointed than anyone else! However in the end no player, manager or fan is bigger than the club,
Quite agree, but I question the influence the manager appears to have now.
we place our trust in the Board who we generally believe make decisions in the best interest of the club.
When JG eventually leaves we would trust the Board to find a replacement. So we don't agree with all decisions they make.
Again, spot on. As I’ve posted before, perhaps I have a greater insight into the workings of this board than most due to my time as SLO. I have the utmost respect for my former colleagues. Some are longstanding supporters like ourselves while others are more recent converts but have worked tirelessly. Without them I doubt there would be a Bath City today. Yes I’ve disagreed with some decisions - as a Board member I was unhappy to enter the playoffs as I didn’t think the expense of staging the Dorking game was affordable. The incredible effort put into the crowdfunding and fans’ generosity proved me wrong. Again, I opposed the decision to introduce drinking during matches but apparently there have been no problems and the returns are probably very good. I don’t subscribe to the view that it is affecting the atmosphere which is surely down to the dull style of play. And maybe I along with many others will be proved wrong with this contract extension - but for me it’s another example of fans being taken for granted.

Tough, thems the breaks, we the fans have people on the Board to represent our interests.
And Society members with these concerns need to share them with Pete & Co while Cheryl Bradley is there as the contact with the Board. As her predecessor as SLO it did frustrate me when I read feelings posted online which were never communicated to me directly.

Been reflecting on what fans want:

Success - yes we want to win more than we lose, but arguably we don't want promotion cos we cant afford it. So we want that sweet spot of a play off place but no further. Bit like Chip last year. And a Cup run, yes my sore for sure is a Cup run;

Entertainment - we want goals and wins (see above) 4-3, 3-2 etc, but not lose 2-3, 3-4, but actually relentless 1-0, 2-0 non entertaining wins would be ok cos they're wins (see above), but losing and not scoring at home is not on I agree. We just want wins dont we?;
We certainly expect better than 8 wins, 27 goals, ten defeats in the League and a failure to beat Hartley Wintney and Sevenoaks. The fantastic comeback against Bromley and victory in the shootout showed what is possible. But how many occasions in the last six seasons have left us on a similar emotional high with fans leaving TP beaming from ear to ear? Torquay definitely. T

The manager - as the joke goes the characteristic all fans want in a manager is to be lucky ! which would bring success. Is JG a lucky manager? I wouldn't say so, but again tough, get on with it.
I wouldn’t say over six seasons he’s an unlucky manager either.
Successful? 2 play offs, Covid, relegation battle, mid table, no Cup run. Hmm, needs something next season for sure. Value for money? Don't know or what the going rate is for an NLS manager, easy to say we could get someone cheaper and be more successful. Likeable? Marmite for sure. I don't have to like a City manager, wouldn't be high on my criteria. JG's 43% success is ok, not many managers get over 50%.

So fans can make up their own mind of course. For me I'll be there for Concord as planned and at Cheshunt as just around the M25. And if you really want to see what disappointment is like checkout the Yeovil social media. Ouch.
As I said in an earlier post I can’t recall a similar mood amongst supporters for a very long time. Yes, Archie was very unpopular with some but this appears to be more general. Afraid you won’t see me at any of the remaining games. Not to punish the Club for its decision but because I’m abroad. However it’s a sign of the times that I’ve booked a holiday during the season. I was fortunate to miss Monday’s match and an earlier break fortunately coincided with the Sevenoaks fiasco - a result which viewed from afar didn’t surprise me in the least. We can discuss this further over a pint at Lord’s in July! Cheers Gerry.

comrade powell
comrade powell

2weirdtown and Bristol end like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next