Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worthing 2 City 3

+2
daven
Luton Roman
6 posters

Go down

Worthing 2 City 3 Empty Worthing 2 City 3

Post by Luton Roman Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:45 pm

The good run continues, 20 pts from last 10 games, 4 pts off play offs, now 2 huge home games this week to further improve the position.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Worthing 2 City 3 Empty Re: Worthing 2 City 3

Post by daven Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:08 am

A very good away win again. The NL Paper today gives Jerry Gill as top boss for the day and Tom Smith in the team of the day.

daven

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:29 pm

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:37 pm

A more comfortable win than the score line suggested topped by a classic header from Cody.
If the talk of a play-offs spot is to come true then it’s likely to be Worthing (or the free falling Havant) who we overtake. They’ve had a good first season at this level but the way they defended demonstrated how Ebbsfleet have scored thirteen past them. A second successive promotion would probably see them faring no better than Weymouth in the NL. Not that I’d be at all confident about our chances…
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:14 pm

I think the biggest problem for us if we were to be promoted via the play offs is the size of the squad. There is a good nucleus of players but as has been seen we can't support having too many injuries. You can have a small squad if all your players are the type that don't get injured much. But especially in the modern game that's not realistic.
The club's finances don't allow us to have a big squad and this would be even more of an issue in the conference.
I've been impressed with how the current board are managing the finances but I feel we would need an even stronger financial footing to compete at a higher level.
Having said this if we carry our form through to the end of the season then I might be eating my words.
BenE
BenE

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by daven Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:43 am

If we stay in this league it will not be a disaster, in fact I can see it exciting with the possibility of playing some more local sides like Weston Super Mare, Torquay and even dare I say Yeovil? If Chippenham, Taunton, Hungerford & Weymouth stay up then we will have some less travelling and probably bigger gates for these more 'local' games.

daven

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:15 am

A well known member of this forum remarked on Saturday that promotion to the NL could prove to be a disaster for the Club. As it took several years for it to recover from its last visit I tend to agree with him.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:46 am

Agreed
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:11 pm

Yes there would have to be more investment to make the club sustainable at the next level, but also learning lessons from the last time and also how clubs like Wealdstone and Sutton have consolidated and progressed from our level.

The profile of Wrexham and other former league clubs in the NL has increased the league profile significantly to arguably beyond 'non league' status which would make City a more attractive proposition for investors and sponsors. The opportunity for increasing revenue from a 3G pitch would be a no brainer, and our style of play actually excels on there as the Worthing performance once again showed.

So Id prefer to look at opportunities and potential than be scared about going up. The business end of the season now and I certainly enjoy where we are compared to Chip, Hungerford and Weymouth.

Luton Roman

Midsomer-steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:13 pm

Yes, all well and good but, the necessary finance would need to be in place before actually winning promotion.  Perhaps it is?
If not, it would have to be found, I guess, in the few weeks of the closed season and here we are in mid March.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:44 pm

comrade powell wrote:A well known member of this forum remarked on Saturday that promotion to the NL could prove to be a disaster for the Club. As it took several years for it to recover from its last visit I tend to agree with him.

I accept and understand the concerns. It brings me back to a question that I have asked before - in the (I accept probably unlikely) event of us making the play off final would there be some among us going into it hoping to lose?

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:39 pm

Never! 😠
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Dave and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content