Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alex Fletcher

+8
Colin Voutt
BenE
Kevin Anderson
City 'til we're relegated
Notters
stillmanjunior
Roy D Hacksaw
comrade powell
12 posters

Go down

Alex Fletcher Empty Alex Fletcher

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:28 pm

I’m sure all forum members will have Alex in their thoughts today after the dreadful incident last night. The forty minutes before the abandonment were horrible and there was a stunned silence as fans departed. The Club’s statement this morning has confirmed how serious his injury was.

I thought the match and Club officials handled the situation well in very difficult circumstances and special praise to the Dulwich players and supporters for their exemplary response. Their Club has posted the following on its website….

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/dulwichhamlet/news/bath-city-abandonment-2741793.html

and their forum shares its concerns…

https://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/bath-city-vs-dhfc-8th-november-2022.379921/

It’s certainly heartwarming when the football community comes together at times like this and puts many other issues into perspective.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and Notters like this post

Back to top Go down

Alex Fletcher Empty Re: Alex Fletcher

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:42 pm

The whole football family has been fantastic with this. Clubs all over the UK - and Yeovil - were offering their best wishes and respects on Twitter last night as the news got round.

Fingers crossed that Alex is safe and comfortable.

I'm not sure of the legalities of it with the lotteries board and all, but would it be possible to donate the proceeds of the undrawn half-time draw last night to aiding his recovery in some small way? Just a thought.

Roy D Hacksaw

Notters likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:18 pm

Roy, the draw was made last night. I believe the winning numbers were advertised in the bar and they should be posted online very shortly. It will give details of how to claim the prizes. However, if they are not claimed I will certainly forward your nice suggestion to the SC committee.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Roy D Hacksaw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:47 pm

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:10 pm

From my view I’d reiterate the comments towards Dulwich. Their players hung around for a bit to check on ours and the manager was very understanding.

Also well done to the referee who I presume hasn’t been in such a situation before but made it clear to me what to announce, handled the managers brilliantly and was well aware of potential issues regarding spectators exiting the ground and such like. Like a lot of people he dealt with a crisis very well.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

comrade powell, Beau Nash, MaryS and Notters like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Notters Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:26 pm

Would like to send my thoughts and best wishes to Alex Fletcher and family.

I can’t praise the medics enough for their actions yesterday and to the players, coaches, staff and supporters of both clubs. The level of support from people outside of the club has been phenomenal.

Thank you for bringing to light the great work by the officials. Anyone who assisted last night deserve the praise and recognition.

Well done, Stillman, for delivering the announcements on the tannoy. It was important information and you delivered it clearly and thoroughly. I wouldn’t have been able to hold it together.

Notters

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:28 pm

I’m a bit concerned at the length of time it took for an ambulance to arrive. This is a well publicised national problem but, not to want this to be political, I think we need to see how this situation can be improved.

As for the wall around the pitch. Perhaps some sort of protective layer can be added to grounds’ perimeter walls. Perhaps this could be a talking point for football authorities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Anderson Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:45 pm

We heard this dreadful news partway through our own game at Farnborough, and there was instant concern. As always, our unity far exceeds our rivalry. Sincerest wishes to Alex and his family, and to the whole of your club family, from us at the Borough. We pray for encouraging signs as the coming days unfold.

Kevin Anderson

Beau Nash, MaryS and Manchester Romans like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:08 pm

Thank you, Kevin, and well said.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:51 am

Notters wrote:
Well done, Stillman, for delivering the announcements on the tannoy. It was important information and you delivered it clearly and thoroughly. I wouldn’t have been able to hold it together.

Ditto
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:53 am

City 'til we're relegated wrote:I’m a bit concerned at the length of time it took for an ambulance to arrive.

Possibly it came from Bristol
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:07 pm

Well done to all concerned for working together to call off Saturday’s match. I doubt if anyone would have had the stomach for it. Great support shown by Worthing FC…

https://worthingfc.com/2022/11/postponed-bath-city-vs-worthing/
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:45 pm

A fantastic interview with Jerry today.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Alex, his family and everyone else involved.

Colin Voutt

Beau Nash, Midsomer-chris and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:50 am

Such a relief to read the latest update on Alex.

https://www.bathcityfc.com/update-on-alex-fletcher-21-11/

comrade powell, Beau Nash, Midsomer-chris, Midsomer-steve, LB and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:45 pm

https://theathletic.com/3922253/2022/11/23/alex-fletcher-go-fund-me-after-head-injury/

There have been a couple of articles in the Athletic and this one says Gareth Southgate has sent a video to Alex. Pasted below if you cant get through the pay wall:

Seven minutes into the FA Trophy tie between Billericay Town and Bath City, play came to a halt.

One fan rose to his feet and began clapping. Others followed suit. Within seconds, everyone at the AGP Arena was on their feet applauding in unison.

Sixty seconds of applause was accompanied by the travelling Bath fans singing, “There’s only one Alex Fletcher.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Solidarity in a dark time.

On November 8, 23-year-old Fletcher was playing for Bath against Dulwich Hamlet at Twerton Park when he crashed into an advertising hoarding.

The striker, Bath’s player of the season last year, was taken to intensive care and underwent emergency neurosurgery.

The match was abandoned, with only five minutes played, and Bath’s next game, a home fixture against Worthing in the National League South, was postponed.

Saturday’s game against Billericay went ahead though. It was a chance to show unity between the club and fans and Fletcher’s family.

Forty-five minutes before kick-off, the Bath players walked onto the field wearing white T-shirts with the No 7 on the back — Fletcher’s squad number — and his picture on the front.

Bath City players
Bath City’s players wore t-shirts before their match on Saturday in support of Alex Fletcher (Photo: Simon Howe)
The game was entertaining and cagey, fit for the occasion. Both teams had several chances and both goalkeepers were tested. The away side opened the scoring after 16 minutes when Elliott Frear found space on the edge of the area and curled a left-footed shot into the top corner.

As he wheeled off in celebration towards the travelling fans, he was joined by the whole team, including goalkeeper Ryan Clarke. In front of the Bath faithful, they lifted a Bath City shirt in the air with Fletcher’s number on it, a gesture greeted with cheers and applause.

Bath City players
Elliott Frear (right) holds Fletcher’s shirt aloft after scoring against Billericay (Photo: Simon Howe)
The celebration was repeated twice in the second half, after Daniel Hayfield’s 48th-minute deflected strike went past Harry Seaden in the Billericay goal, and 29 minutes later when a Luke Spokes piledriver cannoned in off bar to make it 3-1.

Speaking after the game, Bath manager Jerry Gill, said: “Today was very much for Alex Fletcher. We came here to with a job to do for him, and all our thoughts are with Alex and his family.

“I couldn’t be prouder of my football club, my staff, and my players first and foremost; the way they have gone about their business in what has been an emotional and trying couple of days.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I feel like we have come here and been absolutely exemplary and a real unit and team, and that’s the thing that I am proud of the most.”

This week, Mark Stillman, the Bath City radio manager and commentator, explained how it has felt at the club: “The overriding emotion has been shock. From a personal point of view, I had the difficulty as stadium announcer of relaying the news on the night that the match had been abandoned, having walked pitch-side to correspond with the referee Lewis Sandoe, who I thought dealt with the situation superbly.

“All this was some 30 yards from where Alex was being treated by the paramedics and it was difficult to not feel a bit emotional. I visited the club the following afternoon to offer help, and the atmosphere was of course subdued because we haven’t been in this position before.

“A quiet morning used to be because of a bad defeat. A couple of us discussed how we would deal with the media, who understandably would be requesting comment on this. It’s only now, nearly two weeks on, that we’ve been more open.”

Stillman, who has been Bath’s PA announcer for 19 years and supported the club for 30 years, also revealed the connection between Fletcher and two of the goalscorers: “It was fitting that our first two goals were scored by players who travel from Devon with Alex on a regular basis — Frear and Hayfield.

“I’ll admit, the result on Saturday for me didn’t matter heading into the game; it’s only a football match. I was so desperate for us to just score a goal as I knew it would be a treasured moment. I also knew it would be difficult to describe on radio but hope I did it justice.

“To then score three and win made it a fitting return, and to see the written statement from Alex himself on Monday morning is a further ray of sunshine in a traumatic fortnight.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The statement Stillman referred to was published via the club on Monday. The message from Fletcher revealed he is out of intensive care and is now on the neurosurgery ward at the start of a long road to recovery.

That statement reached far and wide in the football world, and prompted an unexpected reply from the World Cup in Qatar, where England manager Gareth Southgate sent him a video message after the 6-2 win over Iran.

The content of the message has not been made public, but Gill, who shared it with Fletcher and his family, said it provided a “really touching moment“.

In a month at Bath City when football is secondary, the squad and fans are working together to show that when faced with hardships, they stand strong with one of their own.

Gill echoed this sentiment: “Forget how we’ve played in the game, and that’s no disrespect to Billericay at all. It was very much about us and how we came here and acted as a football club today, and I thought we were exemplary.

“So, as I say, everything around my football club, my players, and my staff today, I couldn’t be prouder.”

The GoFundMe mentioned by Fletcher in his message was created by fans and is aimed at providing support for the striker and his family during his recovery. To donate, go to this link.

(Top photo: Simon Howe)

1 COMMENT

Luton Roman

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:52 pm

From 3 minutes 37 in the bbc news:

Points West

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by westonpundit Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:03 pm

So grateful and thankful that we've heard some positive news of Alex and as I have thought before we're so fortunate to have such a professional, committed and hard working manager at the club who alongside everyone else including the Board downwards have been an absolute credit over the past and incredibly difficult few weeks. Also a special thanks and appreciation to the media team for handing matters so delicately and in particular the talent of Mark Stillman both in the aftermath of the incident at the game , his recent newspaper article and his superb informed, balanced commentary on the radio at he weekend and win at Billericay. You've all made me realise again as if I didn't need reminding.......as to how proud I am to be a Roman and City fan for over 50 years. Thoughts continue to be with Alex for a continued recovery and his close family and friends.

westonpundit

comrade powell, Beau Nash, 2weirdtown, Midsomer-chris, Midsomer-steve, Luton Roman and Steve Whites Missus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:42 am

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down