Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hartley Wintney thread

+10
Dave
stillmanjunior
Midsomer-steve
Rodney
Beau Nash
LB
BenE
Luton Roman
PHILB1973#
comrade powell
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hartley Wintney thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Hartley Wintney thread

Post by Dave Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:40 am

Dave wrote:
Beau Nash wrote:
Jerry has said a vociferous support helps the players;  could the club offer a special deal for supporters to travel by coach, say £10 including admission to the game?
In the after match interview Jerry said the players will be working all day; is there some way for them to be given a day off?

'Including admission to the game' - so a completely free coach? Who's paying...? Could you?

'given a day off' - how? It's not in our hands as a Club. The players that are otherwise employed will be in the same boat as supporters, asking their bosses for time off, and probably on Tuesday morning at the earliest opportunity. The self-employed among the squad will be balancing whether to sacrifice earnings and let down clients.

Admission on Tuesday is £12, so we need Hartley to contribute towards our coach too.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:08 pm

Midsomer-steve wrote:
comrade powell wrote: I'm also surprised about the fuss concerning the loanees as I thought we were told they were making up the numbers rather than being an integral part of the squad as in previous seasons.

News to me Martin - inside information!?
One thing is for sure - if we do sustain injuries in those cold winter months, our two loanees may well need to play a major part - so wouldn't it be best to integrate them into the team as best as we can now, without barely spoiling the continuity of fielding a consistent team? I would rate this task of being one of Jerry's more important jobs of the season.

I'm no longer on the Board, Steve, so no inside information available! I seem to remember in one of Jerry Gill's interviews, probably pre-season, where he talked of being happy with his recruitment and would just be looking for a couple of loanees to top up the squad. Perhaps LB can elaborate as he presumably heard the same.

Either way, the website states they are with us until January. Perhaps they will then return to their parent club and be replaced by more reinforcements. The bottom line is that Bell has started one match and been sub for four while Blackwell has warmed the bench twice. Perhaps Bristol City insisted on the pair representing them on Saturday - if not, it seems strange that they weren't at TP. But it's all conjecture and frankly I'm more interested in our players than other clubs'. And I guess that takes us back to your concerns that the squad is lacking in depth...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:03 pm

Thanks for your response Martin.

I think that Zak could enhance the skill-base of the team, even from what little we have seen of him so far - whilst Blackwell is highly regarded by Bristol C, I have heard.
It struck me on Saturday that when Hartley scored, instead of doing nothing but playing on, hoping that we wouldn't concede again, Jerry could have switched things, by bringing on Jack (again), and throwing Zak on to frighten their tiring defence - but, as there was no Zak on the bench to bring on, the options were limited. Didn't expect us to concede again anyway, but, as Jerry intimated in his post-match interview, they may have found a glitch in our team and successfully exploited it. We must be at our best tomorrow evening.

Yes, the situation did remind me of my concerns with the number of players we have. Even before the winter months, without the two loanees present, we are working with just 16 players - and one of them is carrying a niggling injury. I just hope that Jerry employs the loanees more from now on, in the best way possible, without causing any unrest amongst those under contract. We need a 'bubble' of 18!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:25 pm

Overall I’ve been fairly impressed with what I’ve seen from the team but as you mention, it has been basically the same line up. I’ve no problem with that as continuity is surely a virtue and suggests that those selected are delivering the goods. However injuries and suspensions will kick in and we will then see if the squad is as strong as we’ve been told.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Midsomer-steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:52 pm

Dave wrote:Admission on Tuesday is £12, so we need Hartley to contribute towards our coach too.

For full information: https://www.hartleyfc.com/index.php - admission costs are lower for some of us.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:15 pm

Well that sounded tough, 2nd clean sheet when needed. JG may see that as a significant game in his City management career in time.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:22 pm

Were we utter s***e or as it sounded on BCR, up against a good side on the up - as per Peterborough Sports in the Trophy?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:37 pm

We played our Get Out of Jail Free card tonight.
Not sure how we won it but another great goal from Alex Fletcher. Wright in goal made some great saves.
I will leave it to Kev to give the full report in the morning.
But, onwards with a home tie against lower league opposition in the next round (again) and some prize money as well.
kermit
kermit

pete mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:06 pm

Mighty relief. A tough listen tonight but we are through!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:16 am

Well that was a tough watch. The longer the game went on you could envisage another lower league team name to add to our list of FA Cup disappointments. Fortunately a cleverly flighted free kick enticed their keeper to come and fail to reach the ball and that allowed us to get the vital goal.
Hopefully the players will have learnt any game against lower level opposition will always be a battle and ensure we are fully competetive in the next round.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:35 am

I thought in the second half we didn’t keep the ball well enough so it becomes difficult to not come across as negative when you have to describe us giving the ball away. It’s hard to not get frustrated particularly when there’s money on the line and a favourable draw in the next round, with all due respect to Sevenoaks. Defensively I thought we were very good and overall extra time we were much better.

And us giving the ball away a lot was also down to opposition who were constantly in our faces and clearly played well above the level they’ve produced in the league. I hope they turn it around.

Main thing about these games is the result and we’ve got it. Hopefully we build on the clean sheet.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:11 pm

Yes a clean sheet was the main positive from last night for me in a game which last year’s team would probably have lost. This one of course has more experience and at times needed it in that torrid second half. Quite how their bloke was off target with that headed effort at the end of normal time was amazing.
If HW play more often than not as they have done in these two matches they’ll certainly do well - they very nearly did a Banbury on us.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2