Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frome at home!

+4
stillmanjunior
daven
Ashley
comrade powell
8 posters

Go down

Frome at home! Empty Frome at home!

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:01 pm

Who shall I support?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Frome at home! Empty Re: Frome at home!

Post by Ashley Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:03 pm

An exciting draw. Should be a good game and a big crowd with the local interest.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:15 pm

They’re presently 7th in Southern League South. Unbeaten after five games.

After a few poor seasons the Club has had a revamp and there’s a lot of optimism. Their win over Oxford shows that we could face a tough game but you can’t ask for more than a tie at home to a club two levels below. But remember Peterborough Sports…
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:20 pm

I see that ours was the last tie to be drawn and that the last six left in the hat included Dorking and Ebbsfleet...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by daven Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:26 pm

A great draw that! At least we avoided Maidstone & Dartford who have been drawn together!!

daven

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:43 pm

comrade powell wrote:I see that ours was the last tie to be drawn and that the last six left in the hat included Dorking and Ebbsfleet...

Weston were the other team in the last three too!

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:51 pm

comrade powell wrote:They’re presently 7th in Southern League South. Unbeaten after five games.

After a few poor seasons the Club has had a revamp and there’s a lot of optimism. Their win over Oxford shows that we could face a tough game but you can’t ask for more than a tie at home to a club two levels below. But remember Peterborough Sports…

Peterborough is a bit different as they're just one level below and if it wasn't for the pandemic they'd easily be a good Step 2 side now. But yes, if Frome are good enough to beat Oxford it won't be straightforward. They'll bring loads of fans and have several of our ex-players keen to make an impression.

Helps a bit that we played them pre-season I guess. And massive bonus being home, it's Frome's first away tie this year.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

threeday week likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by county exile Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:59 pm

Couple of decent goals in their previous tie.

https://youtu.be/0p0mCzOpSWI
county exile
county exile

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:36 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
comrade powell wrote:They’re presently 7th in Southern League South. Unbeaten after five games.

Peterborough is a bit different as they're just one level below and if it wasn't for the pandemic they'd easily be a good Step 2 side now. But yes, if Frome are good enough to beat Oxford it won't be straightforward. They'll bring loads of fans and have several of our ex-players keen to make an impression.

Helps a bit that we played them pre-season I guess. And massive bonus being home, it's Frome's first away tie this year.

Yes, but we were expected to beat a lower level club at home. And how does it help that we played Frome in a friendly? But agree about home advantage - it's a massive opportunity for us to make progress.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:00 pm

I thought you were comparing Frome to Peterborough because of the divisional gap, apologies.

Helps in knowing how certain players play for them, whether they have things like a long throw, if they are quick or slow, all sorts. It’s not exactly the criteria to go on obviously, but I’m sure we picked up one or two bits.

Anyway, just about to ring their manager and see what he thinks about it all. And ask how they beat Oxford…
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:18 pm

Some of us still have nightmares about the 3-1 defeat to Frome in the 1984 FA Cup. A worrying omen is that now, as then, their attack is led by a former City striker: James Ollis now and Dave Allen (who scored twice) back then. They also had the Somerset cricketer Colin Dredge in their line-up.

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:27 pm

Manchester Romans wrote:Some of us still have nightmares about the 3-1 defeat to Frome in the 1984 FA Cup. A worrying omen is that now, as then, their attack is led by a former City striker: James Ollis now and Dave Allen (who scored twice) back then. They also had the Somerset cricketer Colin Dredge in their line-up.

Luckily I missed that match by some 12000 miles although I was at Badgers Hill for the cup match in 1969 when we won 4-1 in front of a crowd of 2270. Not sure that we'll match that next week.

I think it was Bertie not Dave Allen who did the damage in 84. And another worrying omen is that we played them pre-season as well!  affraid
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:51 pm

I think it was Bertie not Dave Allen who did the damage in 84.
Yes, his nickname was Bertie but his proper name was David, I think

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:19 pm

Manchester Romans wrote:Some of us still have nightmares about the 3-1 defeat to Frome in the 1984 FA Cup. A worrying omen is that now, as then, their attack is led by a former City striker: James Ollis now and Dave Allen (who scored twice) back then. They also had the Somerset cricketer Colin Dredge in their line-up.

I seem to recall that City were on the wrong end of some poor refereeing decisions that day and had two goals disallowed

LB

Manchester Romans likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:29 pm

comrade powell wrote:

Luckily I missed that match by some 12000 miles although I was at Badgers Hill for the cup match in 1969 when we won 4-1 in front of a crowd of 2270. Not sure that we'll match that next week.

I think it was Bertie not Dave Allen who did the damage in 84. And another worrying omen is that we played them pre-season as well!  affraid

Lets hope they don't have Van de Merve playing for them.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down