Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Local Election Results

+10
Dodgycarpet
OliverH
Maurice Ashman
SteveS
Luton Roman
Dusty Lynfield
Colin Voutt
Marc Monitor
Beau Nash
Peter Newman
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Local Election Results Empty Local Election Results

Post by Peter Newman Fri May 03, 2019 10:24 am

Just wondering how the change in make up of BANES Council might impact on us, particularly in relation to our redevelopment. I notice that Manda has been elected but not sure if she was already a member of the council.
Could there also be an impact on redevelopment of the Rec.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Local Election Results Empty Re: Local Election Results

Post by Beau Nash Fri May 03, 2019 1:09 pm

The success of the Lib Dems across Bath and control of B&NES will, given the Lib Dems policy of support for community owned activities, be helpful to the redevelopment.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun May 05, 2019 10:55 pm

This has been the first time Manda has been elected to the council since she unsuccessfully stood as the Liberal candidate for the 2017 election.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Mon May 06, 2019 9:34 am

Marc Monitor wrote:This has been the first time Manda has been elected to the council since she unsuccessfully stood as the Liberal candidate for the 2017 election.

You beat me to it!

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Mon May 06, 2019 11:51 am

I don’t think it will make much difference to whether planning permission would be given regardless of who got in....you could argue that the Lib Dems are a bit more anti-student accommodation, so that could make for more interesting debate.
Overall though, I can’t believe that any Council will turn down the TP and Twerton High Street development - area and community is crying out for it.
We all need to make sure we get our supportive comments in, when the planning permission application goes in.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon May 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Agree with Dusty. A similar principle to the recent Luton Town planning permission which saw the council agree to a new ground and associated retail development which will rejuvenate a blighted and run down area, without tax payers money, a once in a generation, if not longer, opportunity. Luton Town did their homework and the council were very careful to abide by due process, which did lengthen the timescale, but neither application was called in nor sent for judicial review. The volume of supportive comments was significant so there needs to be co-ordinated rallying cry and positive publicity when the time comes.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Fri May 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Not sure that this is good news for the redevelopment. I seem to remember the Lib Dems were talking about no more student housing except on campus although not sure if this is official policy.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:45 pm

The Planning Application is now 'live' and we must all support/comment.

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:34 pm

I’ve put in my supporting comment and would encourage all to take the few minutes this requires.
The Planning documents - particularly are very impressive. Really helped make sense of how ground and pitch will look, and layout of the rooms/clubhouse etc. Good to see that the terracing at the Bath End end has been addressed too.
Picture on the cover of the planning statement gives a good clear view of it too - you can zoom into the picture to see the detail, along with the schematic pictures in the main body of Statement.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:47 pm

I've put mine in too! Let's everyone get behind this.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:16 am

Ok it has to be said, seeing the proper drawings and elevations etc, as a resident, I don't like it.
Joe Scofield had articulated many concerns that were at the back of my mind. Unlike Joe I feel sure some adjustments could make this a whole lot better (I under Joe would need more than "adjustments").
I am worried that our leader was part of bath rugby, who did and still are pushing an inappropriate scheme and riding roughshod over locals. I know some of the comments etc by some twerton locals on FB etc have been very over the top and personal and insulting, but we mustn't ignore the fact that just because their reactions are inappropriate it doesn't mean there isn't underneath it a genuine and demonstrable concern that resonates with many.
Having submitted a planning application and been irritated by objections from non locals, I do feel that anyone supporting the application based purely on the future of the club is presenting an at least partially invalid case.
Please note I say all this as a lifelong supporter who wants to see a successful scheme that will do twerton proud. Some of the student accom on the lower Bristol road already looks crap where short cuts were allowed, around materials etc.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Commercial development is rarely perfect and recent schemes in more affluent areas prove that. There is always room for improvement.

But there is also a lot of scope for it to be worse. Given the parlous state of Twerton High Street possibly this scheme comes in the nick of time.

You don't say what you don't like about the scheme DC. Is it the design or the provision or something else?
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:21 pm

It would be reasonable for the planning authorities to give more weight to local residents' concerns than to an individual supporter's concerns, perhaps, but our case is not "invalid" and our voices must be heard. We are part of a community too.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Indeed, Dodgycarpet, I'd like to know what it is about the scheme you don't like. I have submitted my support, but as a 'local' living 150 miles away I won't have to live with it. I'm sure poor material choices can cheapen a scheme very quickly and I didn't pay much attention to that kind of detail, but the overall 'look' of the development did seem very pleasing and a considerable improvement to local amenities.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:47 am

my personal views are not so important, I am just one person.  I was really hoping my post might lead some people to read Joe Scofield's formal objection, quite well written and researched.  Even if you disagree with it it represents the worries of many locals, even if some of them haven't articulated them as well, or even done so very rudely or ignorantly (doesn't mean their heads haven't tapped into a real issue).
I am also worried our leader came from Bath Rugby who did and still are steamrolling their plan over locals.  
Afterthought - who is getting remuneration from this as individuals?  Who is standing to gain? Club yes, those owed money by the club quite rightfully yes, greenacres yes, and anybody else?  Never had firm clarification, which I would welcome (official or based on knowledge as opposed to people's opinions).

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:45 pm

What do you mean "as individuals"? How would someone stand to gain in an individual rather than professional capacity?
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Like Oliver I don't understand the reference to individuals and remuneration. Certainly no brown envelope jobs or otherwise here. As for Nick he has put a lot of work into this and has stuck at it even though he now lives a fair distance from Bath. He is a very straight talking person and you know where you stand with him, we certainly need someone like him on our side of the table.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Obviously I don't mean brown envelopes for heaven's sake I just mean remuneration. I'm not saying anyone is, just want reassurance that they're not. It would go along way to placate people locally if they know noone at the club is making any money out it as individuals.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:11 pm

OliverH wrote:It would be reasonable for the planning authorities to give more weight to local residents' concerns than to an individual supporter's concerns, perhaps, but our case is not "invalid" and our voices must be heard. We are part of a community too.

Where a submission originates from isn't a planning consideration though (even if all neighbouring residents will be written to to make them aware of the application). The application will be reviewed through the prism of planning legislation, which is very clear on what criteria are and aren't deemed valid when supporting or critiquing an application. A lot of the objectors will be unaware of this and indulge in tangents that can't be taken into consideration as they won't be objections on planning grounds.

If the council was believed to take an unfair decision on this application, the club and developer would probably take it to appeal - and have a decent chance of winning. With the council picking up the cost of that for all sides involved.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:14 am

True but there are many ways to interpret the rules, and if the local councillors are onside (who are very well atuned to the local voice) it will help win over other councillors.
Interesting that this is a "planning" process. Planning has turned into a set of rules as opposed to the council "planning" development of the city. Student accom springs up all over; if you had a debate on what the city needed it wouldn't be that... And here in the major redevelopment of twerton the council has no driving role, only to allow / disallow. Seems wrong. Sorry I know this is a general musing but why not.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:28 pm

I made the daft mistake of viewing responses on social media about the plans, and was treated to the usual lazy comments about students basically being a waste of space. I'm sure I replied to something about it earlier in the year, apologising for being such a burden on society.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:39 pm

Dodgycarpet wrote:my personal views are not so important, I am just one person.  I was really hoping my post might lead some people to read Joe Scofield's formal objection, quite well written and researched.  

Where would I find this objection? Have you got a link?

Dodgycarpet wrote:Even if you disagree with it it represents the worries of many locals,

I'm always intrigued by Joe Scofield's mandate as some sort of voice of Twerton. As I understand it, he doesn't even live in Twerton and, indeed, is a resident of Southdown which, to be fair, isn't a million miles away obviously but is not much closer than I am.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:16 pm

On the council planning page for this application

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:04 pm

It's in amongst loads mind, but fairly early on in the list

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next