Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today At The Theatre of Dreams

+2
Corstonian
Dark Star
6 posters

Go down

Today At The Theatre of Dreams Empty Today At The Theatre of Dreams

Post by Dark Star Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:11 am

I enjoyed today's game despite the tedious gamesmanship that Woking brought with them: kicking the ball away and falling over at the least opportunity although the underperforming Ref sadly bought it on most occasions. How their lippy No.3 stayed on the park is beyond me given FA rules. But hey, that is footie today.

Clearly the absence of key players has had its effect (what injury has Mann sustained to keep him on the sidelines?) but overall, while we have a solid defence with Batten and a fit Amankwaah playing well and Cundy growing in stature with every game we are good. Yes, I know our keeper made an error but he did more than redeem himself later. We're not the best defence in the league for nothing.... hold on, wasn't Jerry a professional defender? And Jim knows a thing or two about that sort of thing as well.

However, I thought the midfield struggled without Rigg and Artus. Ross had one of his off days (that's the way it goes) while Morton had a bit of a mare with too many poor decisions and passes going astray. On the plus side Raynes was first class and I'm glad we have retained his services. I thought he might be on his way to greater things. Tom Smith had one of his better games but he has still not yet recaptured his commanding midfield presence of old. I was really pleased the equaliser came from some neat work by Watto - surely a true Bath City trooper, living faraway in the peninsular an'all.

Now, what about the attack? To be honest I'm not a Brunt fan but with the giant Woking centre halves somehow managing to fit into the Woking coach I think that Freddie had little opportunity to shine without the protection that Ryan provides. I think we all know that this part of our play is our weakest point. I'm not sure if Nat Jarvis, who is now one of the league's top scorers (yes, really), has a bearing on this but what was missing when he was with us? I'm sure Jerry is aware but we need a reliable (non-loan) 20 goal a season striker whatever happens this season.

So, overall a good day out. Earlier subs may have helped - Dan Ball has much to offer if fit - but we could at last concentrate on the game rather that wondering why our feet were turning into blocks of ice. In conclusion while I'm not sure we're strong enough to win the play-offs, I think we are on the right track - 1,710 folk can't be wrong can they?

Your etc
Dark Star

PS I may be a bit dim but where will we be playing if the redevelopment goes ahead and how might that might affect our finances if, and as I said it's a BIG if, we win the playoffs? Will this break us financially?

Dark Star

Back to top Go down

Today At The Theatre of Dreams Empty Re: Today At The Theatre of Dreams

Post by Corstonian Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:29 am

Unfortunately gamesmanship, or being "streetwise" as other posters have commented, seems to be a established part of football as you climb the pyramid. I think Woking have picked up a few tricks from their National League days and having watched the occasional League 1 game this season I can say that some teams have it down to a fine art at that level. Players and management orchestrate vociferous appeals, crash to the ground with no visible cause and generally get right in the referee's face at every opportunity. Some referees will see through it and deal with it, but even at league level there are some who are swayed by it and lean towards the most vocal team. The referees at our standard are easy meat for clubs who know the ropes and Woking are definitely in that category. I personally wouldn't want us to follow that route and I don't think we ever have, but there's no denying it can give one team an edge where they can't obtain it through regular means.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:47 pm

Dark Star wrote:PS I may be a bit dim but where will we be playing if the redevelopment goes ahead and how might that might affect our finances if, and as I said it's a BIG if, we win the playoffs? Will this break us financially?

The club is presently considering and talking to various clubs in the area - obviously the final decision will depend on a number of factors... suitability of the stadium for the level we are playing at, suitability of the pitch, access for supporters travelling from Bath, the rent charged, and most importantly the agreement of the home club etc

Wherever we play we anticipate a fall in income streams which we presently enjoy on matchdays at TP and of course during the week from the hire of facilities. The actual cost of the relocation will be covered by the agreement we have with Greenacre.

Re yesterday's match I can think of several teams higher up the ladder in terms of gamesmanship than Woking and I was impressed with how much the ref tried to allow the game to flow, often awarding advantage to the team in possession after a foul.

And a word of praise for the Woking fans. There weren't as many as we'd been told to expect but I thought they were a credit to their club and showed a certain other club's followers how to behave.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:55 pm

Woking fans were fine - especially the small group in police fancy dress.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:37 pm

I agree on Dan Ball. I think he has a lot to offer and was a bit disappointed when we brought in Romanski. To me it seems obvious you play Dan left back and allow Strakes a free role down the left. It is asking a lot for him to get up and down the pitch at his age and I feel he was a whole lot more dangerous with a defender behind him. He unsettled defenders and that leads to goals for other people.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Casey, Wokings #3, was an annoying presence on the pitch but at least he did one good thing in the game; he played Watto on side for the goal whilst the rest of his team were doing the one arm raised dance. I bet he was quiet on their coach ride home.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Of course the player in question was a former favourite of ours when he turned out for Hampton....
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down