Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next four games.

+5
Midsomer-steve
comrade powell
tovid
westonpundit
Marc Monitor
9 posters

Go down

Next four games.  Empty Next four games.

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:00 pm

After a start that wasn't quite as hard as expected - not least after the Torquay loss - and a terrific little run that has sent us up the league in this tight division, we have a tremendous opportunity over the next four games to really add to the momentum that we have presently. Starting off with Chelmsford, who have had similar-ish opponents to us but, haven't done as well against them. They also seem to be drawing a lot especially at home so I would be fairly pleased with a point from there. After that though, the next three games are against bottom three teams and we should really beat them all. 10 points out of 4 games would be a great haul but not overly ambitious.

Even though we have only played one team in the play-offs - and lost to them, the team selection and formation seems settled, really finding its feet in terms of rhythm, style of play and confidence in each other. While thinking that we have a fairly constant starting line-up - assuming that Batten is OK, I realised that we have had a really good subs bench as well (with Amankwaah still to come as well). Jerry's substitutions baffle me but they seem to work. With Oxford City and Welling after this four match period and then a very difficult October mostly on the road, it would be really good to stack up as many points as possible as well if there were any more motivation needed. A good run should also keep the home crowds high as well especially on Monday.

Of course, I have kyboshed all this now and we will probably only get one hard-fought point over the next four but the thing is that we look like deserve to get, at least, 10 out of 12. Funnily enough, Saturday's first half was the worst 45 minutes we have played this season - Hampton, which I didn't see, notwithstanding - mainly, it has to be said, because Dulwich really took the game to us excellently. Conversely, in the rest of the games - again Hampton possibly excepted, we have looked pretty good, even against Dartford and Torquay. Feeling optimistic. Mind you, I am reminded of that quote which all football supporters will empathise with, ""It's not the despair... I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.""
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Next four games.  Empty Re: Next four games.

Post by westonpundit Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:22 am

I largely agree with all of Marc's comments and feel that to target these next four games with a haul of ten points is probably realistic and would put in a fantastic position prior to the cup games commencing mid September.

However the only concern IMO is the comment that we have a settled side and whilst not advocating any significant changes......feel we haven't really controlled any game from midfield with exception of the magnificent display at Torquay and Gloucester. Particularly for tough away games the current starting team, albeit probably not on paper, is very offensive and often leaves Morton to be, at the foot of the midfield, rather isolated in the 'engine room'.....

With two wide players and the talents of both Rigg and Mann often moving forward it seems James is invariably left to battle in centre of the park against the opposition centre midfielders.
The change at half time on Saturday corrected the situation with a great turnaround and as others have said we seem to see the best of Morton when he has an experienced player alongside him in either Artus or Richards. I'm sure JG has this all in hand and be interested to see starting line up this weekend as Chelmsford will always be a difficult challenge away from home.

Like Marc suggests be happy with a point but I think with a solid performance we're quite capable of bringing back all three points.

westonpundit

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:13 pm

If there is one thing I don't like to do is to tempt fate. Of course all fans hope for the best but it never works out that way. Jerry is obviously going to aim for 12 points but if we got 7 or 8 that would still be good. Teams at the bottom after a few games are not necessarily the weakest teams in the division as no doubt Arsenal will argue.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:15 pm

Agreed. Always difficult to gauge teams' strengths after only a few matches. The most difficult to predict will possibly be Monday's as it's a derby and both teams will have played less than 48 hours earlier.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:15 pm

I agree on all the points here to an extent.

Firstly, I have been concerned about Morton being effectively the cover in front of the centre-backs. However, despite his rather slight appearance and youth, he does seem to effectively gain and keep possession back there and also his distribution is good. I have, a couple of times, voiced my concern at his selection there only to have it mentioned by sager folk than I that, if I paid attention, he is a good anchor there.

I also agree that no teams can be judged at this point in the season - Dulwich's position especially shows this - nor can any points be guaranteed. However, we can be realistic enough to know that, as Jerry mentioned, there is a "feelgood factor" about the place at the moment and momentum is a great force in football. All the teams in the bottom four are not on great runs presently and it is a good time to play them - especially after having played some difficult games ourselves. Taking this momentum and aiming optimistically for the best possible haul of points before the Cup games and the Awayday October is a decent plan. Obviously, men makes plans to make God laugh but it is still worth having reasonable expectations. They can always be adjusted ;-)
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Always aim above what you realistically expect to get!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Bugger!
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:26 pm

Thought today would be tough. Let’s back the boys to win the next 3 and we’ll be right up there. Competitive league with a few dropping points today

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Corstonian Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:40 pm

"Always difficult to gauge teams' strengths after only a few matches."

Wise words - having seen Dulwich and Gloucester in the last week I'd have bet my house that Dulwich would romp home today by a very comfortable margin. Luckily I'm neither a betting man nor homeless.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:21 pm

Weston currently bottom with two points..... looks ominous for Monday!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:44 am

Steve Whites Missus wrote:Weston currently bottom with two points..... looks ominous for Monday!

In view of the weather probably just as well we are playing them at home!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down