Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roy Pitman

+3
kermit
comrade powell
turnstyle13
7 posters

Go down

Roy Pitman Empty Roy Pitman

Post by turnstyle13 Thu May 07, 2015 2:18 pm

I first met Roy probably 30 odd years ago, not through football, but our mutual interest in the Somerset and Dorset Railway.
Roy, as a lad, lived in the Templecombe area and had used the S&D daily to travel to school in Bruton.
Our meetings took place at the monthly gathering of the Bridgwater group that took place over the autumn winter period on, invariably, wild wet and windy evenings at Edington, on the Somerset levels.
Roy, and of course Mona his wife of umpteen years, was always a key person in those meetings. Sharing his stories and enjoying the craic and Mona supervising the tea and nabbing the comfy chair for she would eventually nod off as the evening wore on.
Roy became the volunteer station master at Washford on the West Somerset Railway, where the S&D museum is based, and was always very persuasive in getting others - self included - to take some holiday and do ‘some days in the shop’. It was always plural, the aim being to ensure the museum was manned on every day the WSR was running. During his time he always succeeded but the lion share of the duties was always Roy and Mona as they travelled from their home in Puriton, north of Bridgwater.
It wasn’t long though in those evening slide shows before the conversations moved away from railways and onto another mutual love. Football; where the verbal sparring - banter as it’s now called - took place, for Roy was a lifelong supporter and, at that time, scout for Yeovil Town. Fortunately, during those days, BCFC held the upper hand and it wasn’t until sometime after the Bridgwater group folded that YTFC accelerated past us as we headed for the doldrums.
By then though Roy had moved, on as post a change in leadership at Huish either they or Roy decided that his role as scout wasn’t required, or at least not by Roy. But of course it was a job he loved and which he wanted to do so - unbeknown to me as to what had happened at YTFC - it was a complete surprise when in about 97/98 I bumped into him at Twerton in his City blazer, club tie and car, sponsored by his local garage, emblazoned with ‘Roy Pitman Chief Scout Bath City FC’.
Regardless of which manager over the years since then, Roy was always there, willing to help and remove the burden of the boss in ‘how and we going to look at that team or player’. Simple answer, and which Roy when I asked what he was up to, it’d always be along the lines the manager asking him to go and look at this player or a future opposition, write up some notes or give the manager a phone call to discuss his findings.
He even pitched up to watch my Bath & District league team as we played the Puriton team in the Somerset Junior Cup. We were soundly beaten and I’m sure those notes on an exciting left winger were dispatched swiftly to the bin.
I think there was nothing he liked more on a Saturday afternoon than pitching up at a ground - generally in the south and west - where he would meet up with old friends that he’d known from 70 odd years of following football in the area, always dressed in the club blazer and tie; pride in what he was doing and who he was representing.
As others have said.
A gentleman and, to me - yes even when he was involved with YTFC - a friend.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Roy Pitman Empty Re: Roy Pitman

Post by comrade powell Thu May 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks for posting that, Phil - a fascinating read. I had no idea Roy was closely connected with the West Somerset Railway or had scouted for Yeovil. He certainly served our club well and it's good to see on social media that past players and local clubs are paying their tributes to him.

RIP Roy.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu May 07, 2015 5:55 pm

A true gentleman. I enjoyed his company during my time 'in office'. RIP Roy.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu May 07, 2015 7:31 pm

Didn't know him but that is a great post. Out of interest, is he our only scout or do we have others?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Jones Fri May 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Really sad news this, Roy was an absolute gentleman, always polite yet still had strong views. He had great knowledge of the game and City. His wife made some great cakes! RIP

Ian Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun May 10, 2015 6:53 pm

Very sorry to hear about Roy, as has been said by others a true gent.
I also have memories of happy days at Washford Station watching the trains go by and talking football with Roy. I must admit that I did not know Mona had passed away last August until I read a tribute in the West Somerset Railway Journal but knew she had not been well for some time and was no longer able to accompany Roy to Twerton.
As a scout Roy must have travelled many thousands of miles and his reports were very thorough, starting with an estimate of the weight and height of every player and then going onto formations and if players were left or right footed or both etc.
A lovely man.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun May 10, 2015 8:22 pm

Thanks Steve, I didn't realise Roy had lost his wife recently. How sad, a double blow.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by marquess of weston Wed May 20, 2015 2:10 pm

It was a fitting send off for Roy yesterday. Funeral well attended by family and friends including his Bath City family. Shows the respect and affection the club had for him that nearly the whole board of directors travelled down to Be there plus Jimmer, Lee Williams, Phil Tanner and our ex-physio Dave Lukins.

marquess of weston

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum