Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Braintree play-off

+5
Peter Newman
Beau Nash
Luton Roman
comrade powell
BenE
9 posters

Go down

Braintree play-off Empty Braintree play-off

Post by BenE Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:52 am

Difficult way to lose but not as bad as penalties. I thought we put up a great showing even though Braintree always had the edge.
BenE
BenE

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Braintree play-off Empty Re: Braintree play-off

Post by BenE Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:54 am

I was eeally impressed with the noise our fans made throughout. Well done all who attended.
BenE
BenE

Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 pm

The keeper and defence had another outstanding match, underlining how difficult we are to break down. But Braintree also have an excellent rearguard and we hardly stretched them. Apart from Vassell’s late effort I cannot recall us really threatening. I’m not Clark’s biggest fan but he was our main threat last night and put over some excellent crosses, most going to waste. 
While it was a disappointing way to end the season I think a win in a penalty shootout would have left us with a mountain to climb at Chelmsford on Saturday. The players looked physically shattered by the end and would have been facing a fresh team on their difficult ground who’ve already done the double over us. As we knew all along, finishing in the top four gives you a huge advantage and again I question the point of this eliminator match but I understand the arguments for it. 
Will be interesting to see how Braintree fare on Saturday.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:40 pm

43 goals in 1st half of season, 26 in 2nd tell a story imo. JT was a key player for us, Clark not the same. Tricky and creates but probably needs to get stronger physically. Cody and Scotty didn't end the season on form and our midfield don't score enough. All that puts pressure on a team to keep clean sheets. We got plenty but can't be expected to do it all the time.

Luton Roman

comrade powell, Beau Nash and 2weirdtown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:54 pm

I’ve seen us many times at Braintree but before last night the crowds were small and I didn’t notice how cramped the place is. I hate to think what might have happened if there had been a rush for the very few exits which exist. The main culprits are the crash barriers which have very, very few gaps between them to aid access. and the very narrow walkways. 
I know that they’ve played at the higher level in recent years but I wouldn’t want to attend a match with many more than were present last night.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:05 pm

The season stats prove the point, not scoring enough.
Table position 6th.
Goal difference 6th.
Goals scored 9th.
Goals conceded 4th.

Another question, to which I don't have the answer, is how many goal scoring opportunities are being created?

The stats in the Braintree game showed City were lower in attacks, dangerous attacks and had less possession.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:39 pm

I think others have highlighted the lack of goals from midfielders. I would also add the lacking contribution from defenders. Appreciate scoring is not their main purpose but a defender's goal is a rare treat these days.
We win plenty of corners and free kicks in attacking areas but score very few goals from those situations.

Anyway hope everybody got home eventually this morning. The M11 diversion signage was really poor.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:01 pm

comrade powell wrote:I’ve seen us many times at Braintree but before last night the crowds were small and I didn’t notice how cramped the place is. I hate to think what might have happened if there had been a rush for the very few exits which exist. The main culprits are the crash barriers which have very, very few gaps between them to aid access. and the very narrow walkways. 
I know that they’ve played at the higher level in recent years but I wouldn’t want to attend a match with many more than were present last night.

Attendance 1067 according to Braintree X though 1400 there v Eastbourne last Saturday.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:17 pm

I find that attendance figure for last night hard to believe.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:39 pm

Their chairman was on the cash only turnstile lat night..... just saying.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:09 pm

comrade powell wrote:I’ve seen us many times at Braintree but before last night the crowds were small and I didn’t notice how cramped the place is. I hate to think what might have happened if there had been a rush for the very few exits which exist. The main culprits are the crash barriers which have very, very few gaps between them to aid access. and the very narrow walkways. 

It's a ground I've not been to yet, but I was surprised by how small and rudimentary it looked on TV. Madness that they would have hosted fairly big National Premier clubs like Leyton Orient, Grimsby Town, Tranmere and Wrexham there.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:20 pm

I am surprised that it was only 1067 judging by the queues to get in. Having said that it was generally disorganised all evening.
Although we moan about the Chelmsford stadium I have always found them a welcoming club and hope they are successful in the play-offs now we are eliminated. They finished 2nd so would be worthy winners.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:12 pm

Do we get a share of the gate receipts?
BenE
BenE

Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:16 pm

I think the midfield has functioned least well especially once Russe was injured. This is an area we definitely need to strengthen. We are so frequently second to every loose ball and shows we are not competing adequately.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:47 pm

BenE wrote:Do we get a share of the gate receipts?

Yes. That may explain the lower gate figure? Twisted Evil
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazzer Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 am

I agree the ground felt very cramped. Not the most welcoming experience either. Didn’t particularly appreciate being called “posh bastards” (!!) or the stones being thrown from behind the terrace.
The team gave their all, our defence were immense, but we definitely need more strength in the goal scoring department. . Overall I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the season and feel there’s much to look forward to next year.

Mazzer

Paul1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:41 pm

Highlights from a Braintree angle…

https://youtu.be/GcvmLObx31o?si=ncLH_kAZ-8HJQhk7
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:36 pm

very proud of the club. fine margins in football and i can remember 3 or 4 cleared of the line at braintree although not very powerful shots. 2 were by the big number 26 defender for them who was class. wasn't meant to be but very entertaining season. the rock hit my mate stood by me. he was thankful the rock hit him and not his pint. there 30 or so school boys literally screaming posh bastards in the faces of all our fans. was sick too see. do they realise twerton is one of the most depreived areas in england. very dangerous at turnstyle end. was chaos before quick off. the food bar is right by turnstyles so ques in many directions at 7.30pm. overall a decent club with good fans and mornoic youngsters like all clubs. except our youngsters are well behaved in my opinion.we have loads of youngsters too which is great for the future. club is buzzing. next season looking promising. hopefully russe back too. we can chill out now till next season on the city front but of course we have the euros. definate final for england, fingers crossed we go one step further than euro 2020.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:41 pm

Obviously clubs need to attract younger supporters and success on the pitch is like a magnet to them. But clubs then have a responsibility to ensure that ground regulations are followed. Did your mate report what happened to him on Tuesday? I noticed police in one part of the ground but that was some distance from where their fans were.
In recent years both Dartford and Wealdstone have gone down the route of removing low ticket prices for teenagers following trouble but have then faced criticism for the resulting lack of atmosphere when few turn up.
It's great that we're attracting so many young fans these days and I haven't heard of any problems. But that doesn't seem to be the case at some of our rivals.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:01 pm

No didn't report. Hit the fence and came through. Fence cushioned the blow. Stewards we're looking for whoever threw the rock but basically was like a scrapyard behind the terrace, looked like a fly tipping area. But couldn't see the road how a fly tipper would get there. Yes maidstone had idiots too. Weymouth seam too as well. Sad state when they'd rather be ghastly too away fans than back there team.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down