Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roger Swift

4 posters

Go down

Roger Swift Empty Roger Swift

Post by comrade powell Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:23 pm

The Club has been informed that Roger Swift, a City stalwart from the 60s and early 70s, has passed away. The website archive states...

Long-serving player Roger spent twelve seasons at Twerton Park - although many of the early years were blighted by injury. He was awarded a testimonial by the club in 1969. Went on to play over 300 times for the club - scoring just once in his 199th appearance. His career was nearly ended in the early 1970's by a serious back injury but he overcame this to play for a couple more seasons. Eventually after 12 seasons with the club, his only senior side, he joined Trowbridge Town toward the end of 1973.

He was a regular in the side which experienced several promotions and relegations and I remember him lining up in defence alongside new recruits Paul Gover and Nigel Ryan who later became the backbone of the wonderful team managed by Brian Godfrey.

It would be nice to have a tribute on the club's website so if any supporters have memories they'd like to share, please post them here.  

RIP Roger
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Roger Swift Empty Re: Roger Swift

Post by comrade powell Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:07 pm

I mentioned Roger's passing in an email to Mike Denton who was his team mate at Twerton. Mike wrote...

He was a bit of a fringe player when I was there but always did a job. The main things I remember about him are he always gave 100% he got sent off in a game in a case of mistaken identity (Can’t remember where) and he played against Bournemouth in the FA Cup when Ian Macfarlane was injured. He struggled a bit that day against Coughlin the Bournemouth Centre Forward, but he never quit and certainly wasn’t to blame for the defeat. All in all a genuinely nice guy.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:40 pm

I started watching City in 1967 and I remember Roger as one of those players who could always be relied on and who you knew would always give his best in every game. If he were playing today he would definitely be worthy of the 'true Roman' tag. RIP Roger.

The quote from the website that Martin has used refers to Roger being given a testimonial in 1969, but I haven't been able to find a record of this or recall who it was against. On Facebook someone has mentioned the game against Manchester City in which Tony Book and Joe Corrigan among others played, but I am sure that that was Tony Gough's testimonial and not Roger's. I don't recall there being another one around that time, and wonder whether anyone can shed any light on this?

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:19 pm

You’re correct and our website is wrong. Roger’s testimonial was against Bournemouth in 1973 and the Man City match was in Tony Gough’s honour. It was held 7 days after City won the FA Cup and most of that team turned out.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:43 am

comrade powell wrote:You’re correct  and our website is wrong. Roger’s testimonial was against Bournemouth in 1973 and the Man City match was in Tony Gough’s honour. It was held 7 days after City won the FA Cup and most of that team turned out.

Thanks for clearing that up Martin, and pleased to hear that Roger did get a well deserved testimonial.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:49 pm

Nice piece on the Chronicle site. I remember Roger and my Dad telling me he would have progressed on from Bath City if not for the injuries.
I was at the Bournemouth FA Cup game and also the Man City one but don't remember the Bournemouth testimonial game. There was also an FA Cup game against Brighton at Twerton in the mid 60's where we got hammered 5 -0 I think. Roger started at right back that day but the injury jinx struck again and I remember him being carried off fairly early in the game.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:31 pm

comrade powell wrote: Roger’s testimonial was against Bournemouth in 1973  

I have had a root around and found the programme - the City team was billed as a 'Bath City All Star XI' and Bournemouth included Harry Redknapp in their line up. A crowd of 1532 turned up to honour Roger and see the teams draw 2-2.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Parker Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:37 am

comrade powell wrote:You’re correct  and our website is wrong. Roger’s testimonial was against Bournemouth in 1973 and the Man City match was in Tony Gough’s honour. It was held 7 days after City won the FA Cup and most of that team turned out.

I was there and was a bit miffed to see a then unknown teenager called Joe Corrigan in goal for Man City rather than the expected Harry Dowd, their regular keeper. Not that it mattered - there were goals galore to keep us entertained with the game finishing 5-5!

Twerton Parker

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:48 pm

There was a good turn out of former City players at Roger's funeral...
Paul Gover, Tony Gough, Nigel Ryan, Mike Whitehouse, Len Beel, Colin Taverner, Billy Horton and Kim Book. A good defence but Billy would have had to score all the goals!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down