Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former player Ian MacFarlane

+3
Maurice Ashman
Corstonian
romanoyd
7 posters

Go down

Former player Ian MacFarlane Empty Former player Ian MacFarlane

Post by romanoyd Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Sad to hear that Ian MacFarlane, played for City in the 1960's, passed away on Monday aged 86, as reported on the Leicester City website  ian macfarlane
romanoyd
romanoyd

Back to top Go down

Former player Ian MacFarlane Empty Re: Former player Ian MacFarlane

Post by Corstonian Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:10 am

Ian was in the very first team line-up I ever watched play for City - by that time he had moved to centre half from full back where he had made many appearances previously, and formed a back four with Tony Gough, Mike Thresher and Mike Whitehouse. I didn't realise he had such a lengthy career in football after he left Bath.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:19 am

Can't get hyperlink to work?

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:28 pm

When researching my book on Charlie and the team of late 50's/early 60's I spoke to Ian.
He was a very no-nonsense chap. Clearly loved defenders but didn't have much time for forwards.
Buy the book and see the quote but it was something along the lines of 'Charlie was good but he wasn't one for the fight. He'd need the likes of Book and Gough to win the battles and get him the ball, then he'd do his stuff'.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzo dog Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:43 pm

Met him when Ken Loach made his documentary about the club. If memory serves me right, he laughed all day long. Had a great affection for Bath City and his time with the City.
bonzo dog
bonzo dog

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:42 pm

He had left City by the time I started supporting them in 1967 but he was still a ‘legend’ having been part of the Fleming, Book etc era.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:50 pm

I was a couple of seasons ahead of you, Les, so I still have some vivid memories of Ian - he was certainly a no nonsense defender and his build was similar to that of Richard Bourne, Chris Holland and Jack Batten.

From the website archive….

A Lanark-born full-back who had played for Aberdeen and Chelsea, Ian signed for City in July 1959 from Leicester City. Spent eight seasons with the club and briefly became part of a three-man management committee during the 1966-67 season alongside Trefor Owens and Ted Dransfield. Retired from playing in March 1967 to become a coach at Sheffield Wednesday. Went on to manage with Carlisle United in the early 1970's and caretaker spells at Sunderland and Leicester City.

He made 330 appearances for the club (15th in all time list)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down