Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alan Skirton

+2
Beau Nash
LB
6 posters

Go down

Alan Skirton Empty Alan Skirton

Post by LB Sun May 12, 2019 9:57 pm

There was a tweet (sorry!) a couple of hours ago from Chris Stone saying 'RIP Alan Skirton' - I wondered if anybody knew any more about this.

LB

Back to top Go down

Alan Skirton Empty Re: Alan Skirton

Post by Beau Nash Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 pm

Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon May 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Very sad news. While I have no recall of his time at TP I saw the incredible job he did on the commercial side at Yeovil when I used to live down that way. RIP Alan.

From our website...

The club are very sad to hear that former player and commercial manager Alan Skirton has passed away aged 80.

The Bath-born winger began his football career with West Twerton Youth club, then after a short spell at Bristol City, joined City for the 1956-57 season. Alan was initially a regular in the Colts and Reserves side, before making his first team debut in the 1-0 win over Dartford in October 1956, signing professional forms a month later. His performances were soon attracting scouts from around the league, including Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal, and it was the latter who made a bid of around £5000 to sign him on 1 January 1959. Illness delayed his debut for 18 months but he would spent seven seasons at Highbury before playing for Blackpool, Bristol City and Torquay United. Returned to non-league football with Weymouth in the early 1970’s – after a short spell in South Africa with Durban City – and re-joined City for the 1974-75 season, combining playing with work in the club’s commercial department then as youth team manager. In total he played 144 games for the club, scoring 44 goals, and after finishing his playing days at Melksham Town he enjoyed a long and successful commercial career, initially with City, then for over 20 years at Yeovil Town, where he was a vital part of their rise to the Football League.

The thoughts of all connected with City are with Alan’s family and friends at this time.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Mon May 13, 2019 7:09 pm

I am able to remember Skirtons' time at TP at the end of the 1950's - as a pupil at Southdown Junior School, I looked up to 'local lad' and enjoyed his sharp looking play (and hairstyle!).
RIP,  Alan.

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by westonpundit Tue May 14, 2019 9:08 am

Sad news indeed. I only met Alan relatively recently as he attended a number of club fund raising events until ill health prevented him coming along. His passion for the game and Bath City was clearly evident and had some great stories relating to his career move to the Arsenal. Was a really lovely gentleman and great player. Thoughts are with his wife, family and friends. RIP Alan.

westonpundit

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Tue May 14, 2019 1:38 pm

I recall one of our 'legends' events where Alan was asked the question about his affiliation with Bath and then later on Yeovil and which was his team.
He paused and with a wry smile said 'well i'm a Twerton boy aren't I?'. Nuff said.

Truly one of our own.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down