Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brighton 1960

+4
kingswood charlie
Ashley
turnstyle13
stillmanjunior
8 posters

Go down

Brighton 1960 Empty Brighton 1960

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:06 am

I'm hoping to run an article about the above game, with the record 18,020 crowd inside Twerton Park.

Was anyone on this forum at the game, or know someone who was and would be able to say a few words about it?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Brighton 1960 Empty Re: Brighton 1960

Post by turnstyle13 Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:11 pm

What a shame you didn't make it to the nostalgia evening a few weeks ago where we viewed a photo and discussed the game, during which we discovered there is film of the game on the net plus the club have some very interesting records of the game. I still have my dads newspapers to hand - they haven't gone back into the loft yet - plus of course he was there.
I can ask him if he'd like to give you some recollections.
When do you want it by?

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Ken Norris who goes on the coach would probably be worth a try.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi Phil - could you bring them along this weekend, please? I'll use it for next Tuesday's programme.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by kingswood charlie Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 pm

This was one of the late 50's/ early 60's match I did NOT attend!!

The reason being was that those of us who were boarders at Kingswood School were at home on holiday and term did not start until the following week.  It was difficult to keep up to date with scores in those days and I remember being at home and looking at the videoprinter on Grandstand waiting for the result to come through. One member of our branch of the Supporters Club (Tony Mann) did see the game as he came up specially on the train from Torquay, returning there later that night.   And then a couple of days later he returned to Bath for the start of the Easter Term at School. A true fan!  

Tony obtained a programme for me as well as the pink edition of the "Bath & Wilts Football Herald & Chronicle". Both of these are in my box of memorabilia of the cup run.

I was present for the 3-1 First Round win against Millwall, a game in which Paddy Hale was sent off. It was also my first ever recollection of crowd trouble when a number of Millwall 'supporters' did not take kindly to their team being beaten.

There was no opportunity to catch the Supporters train to Nottingham for the Second Round as the dreaded School Rules would not allow us to escape for the day. So it meant waiting for Sports Report on my Sobell Transistor radio.

So sadly I did not swell the crowd to 18021 but I can still remember the day, and the season.

Happy days indeed.
kingswood charlie
kingswood charlie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Crowd trouble and Millwall in same sentence shock ! Martin will be amazed. ..

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:53 pm

Rising to the bait...

No, I wasn't in the away end that day! At least the Lions fans left TP with seats intact - unlike a certain Bedfordshire club many years later, I assume the City board sensibly made the game all ticket.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:56 am

Jon Reynolds was there. Maurice Ashman also and maybe Pete Flack (certainly Bolton?)

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks for all the assistance. John Payne has also been in touch by email and has sent me a great write-up which also relates to the earlier win over Notts County.

In five years time I'm looking forward to a 60-year reunion match (I know we've played them since in the cup) with thousands locked out of the ground.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:22 am

Couldnt you do it for a Saturday prog Mark where you will get a bigger audience? It will bring back memories for many fans I'm sure. I know there is only 2 left and you may have plans for those already. A parade of remaining fans on the pitch as opposed to the players that played LOL.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:05 pm

I think you're right, Gerry. I'll include it in Saturday's prog, which is one of my better efforts I have to say, largely thanks to contributions from others. And also means I have another few days to write this Jason Dodd bit which I've been putting off for a while.

The main reason to stick it in Tuesday's was it would draw comparisons with our lowest league attendance on record, which was against Hayes & Yeading. But going by our recent midweek crowds I think Tuesday's could challenge it!

After these two editions I'm jobless for a month so will have more time to come up with ideas for the Ebbsfleet and Sutton programmes.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by City Awayday Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:52 pm

The Millwall game was not all-ticket and neither was there any segregation-in fact I was sitting on the touchline behind the Bristol end goal with two Millwall lads in their mid twenties. I don't recall any crowd trouble although there was a mass invasion of the pitch at full time with a guy clanging a bell and fans yelling "We want Charlie" who eventually emerged to take a bow. There was a huge outburst of cheering and a sense of elation from a 12000+ crowd who were not for being moved on in a hurry and the great thing was that there was plenty more of this to come in the next four years....the first game of which was Brighton a few weeks later.

My most vivid memory of this match was that I didn't see much of it. With 18000 inside TP the ground was heaving- with railway sleepers being dug out manually from the banking to the right of the terrace on the popular side to build a crude and very disorderly terrace from which to view the game. Strange to say it didn't work! I could only see the far side of the pitch. The atmosphere was electric and those nearer the front did provide a commentary of sorts on the proceedings. I remember a huge sense of disappointment at the end of the match as there had been a real belief that City would win in the build-up to the game. This same conviction was carried into the FA Cup game at Swindon 10 months later when City held Bert Head's all-conquering babes to a memorable 2-2 draw before going down 6-4 in that famous replay.

City Awayday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down