Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v. Stortford

+14
James C
Midsomer-steve
Jon_BOA
Roman Mike
Colin Voutt
comrade powell
yuffie
Steve Whites Missus
LB
stillmanjunior
Marc Monitor
BenE
Ashley
Luton Roman
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

City v. Stortford - Page 2 Empty Re: City v. Stortford

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:00 am

I'm amazed and slightly concerned that there hasn't been any comment on the attendance on Tuesday. 303? What on earth is going on? Nearly four weeks ago we had around 1700 home supporters for a game. Yes, different circumstances and all that, but 1400 of those decided they couldn't be bothered on Tuesday night?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a Tuesday night fixture against unglamorous opponents when we have little to play for isn't going to attract 6-700, but just scraping above 300? I dread to think how many will be at the Hayes & Yeading game. I mean, last Saturday was almost a free game if some liked, they could have turned up and paid about £1, and it still wasn't a success despite the efforts of a lot of people.

Are our fans just fickle or is there something else needed to be done to try and convince those that their support is needed, whoever we play and whatever the situation?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:14 am

I am pretty sure the club must have been incredibly disappointed with the 775 Community Day crowd. There was a large contingent there not for the first team but for the girl's team. So effectively none of these 1200 extras from Dover can be dragged out of their homes under normal circumstances.

There were quite a few people predicting a low crowd Tuesday and they were right. I thought they were being pessimistic but I wonder what their reasoning was for their prediction before the actual game?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:45 pm

My guess is that Sat's game was not entertaining and that, from that result onwards, there was virtually nothing to play for as far as League 'honours' is concerned.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:10 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:Are our fans just fickle or is there something else needed to be done to try and convince those that their support is needed, whoever we play and whatever the situation?

I think it is to be expected. We have a hardcore of 500 supporters (as opposed to fans), many of whom may have had a fair bit of expense for the North Ferriby game and, frankly, some who are bit deflated after the Trophy exit. Add in all that you mention about it being a Tuesday night against unglamorous opposition and you have your answer.

Tuesday was a perfect storm for reasons for people not to go as much as the semi-final home game was a perfect storm for casual fans (as opposed to supporters) to attend and interested people to come for the first time. Saturday is a bit different as it should have been much better attended. As mentioned on the other thread, there is the post-Trophy hangover and very cold weather but I am still a bit at a loss to explain it. Perhaps, the publicity got lost amongst the Trophy hype.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by James C Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:26 pm

The answer is obvious... we have 1,200 exiled fans who can only make the big games!

James C

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:38 pm

I think that there are levels. There are probably a hardcore of 300-500 (depending on whether it is a Tuesday or Saturday), another 200-300 who don't need too much coaxing to come out for a bigger game or against more 'glamourous' opposition. You then have another 500 who really need a lot of coaxing out even for these games and, after that, you are depending on people who may come along as a one-off due to the Trophy run or whatever.

The proportions may be a touch out but it is probably something like that.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:24 pm

I consider myself a 'hardcore' home supporter but didn't go tuesday.
I had a skittles match to play which would have made it a hard decision normally, but as it seemed to me that we'd given up on the season, by our weird team-selections and poor performances, there was no pull to Twerton Park at all for me.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by London Calling Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:33 pm

I have to confess I didn't go Tuesday either. Frankly I left on Saturday feeling a little despondent not so much with the result but our aimless long ball hoofing. I paid my usual £12 to get in on Saturday and just felt I couldn't justify another £12 on watching that sort of football again when there was the option of a free champions league game on telly.

Now some might say that makes me a fair weather supporter, but as someone whose been to most of the home games and done two or three long distance away trips this season I think the management need to realise they can't expect people to keep putting their hands in their pockets to pay for some of the drivel we've seen since the trophy exit. Sounded like many others voted with their feet on Tuesday.

London Calling

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:42 pm

I think that you guys are probably the difference between a 300 hardcore on a Tuesday and a 500 hardcore on a Saturday. I wouldn't call you 'fair weather' at all especially if you have done most of the home games and the recent long distance away trips. It is to be expected.

To be honest, I was there on Tuesday because, A, I have a season ticket, B, I am well used to watching dire football and, C, have long ago rationalised that, if results were the only draw, I would never go to football.

Crucial, however, is A so the expense went a while back and now I am making sure that I get value for that money. Actually, I have no idea how many season tickets have been sold.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:44 pm

I have to say that, while I agree with much of what you say, I don't understand this

London Calling wrote:there was the option of a free champions league game on telly.

I more often than not turn over from 'Champions' league football as it means about as much to me as dressage.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:15 am

Ditto.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:50 am

Yes I agree. I find the European TV football totally boring and I love football. Would rather be there at Twerton!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:30 am

And yet you would rather play skittles, Steve!  Very Happy
Well just for the record, I love European football on TV, whether it be the midweek Champions and Europa League matches or my weekend fixes of Spanish football. The real dross is to be found much closer to home and I rarely bother with Lineker's self indulgent show any more. However, I still preferred to watch City/Bish than Atletico/Bayer on Tuesday. Watching the exciting highlights later gave me some regrets though!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:09 pm

I can only repeat my view that midweek football at our level is a dead duck. Attendances at all other clubs are also poor so it's not a problem that only afflicts City.
The sooner the season is concentrated on Saturdays only with midweek used only for replays and postponements the better.
Too many things against midweek. Yes there is Euro football for starters. Also the weather - older supporters find it a real struggle on cold nights. A fair number of supporters live out of Bath and can't find the time in midweek.
It adds up to a double whammy in that there is a marked decrease in income and the small crowds make it look bad.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:38 pm

Agree entirely. There's something to be said for watching a game on a balmy evening in August/September, but after that it's only for the die hards.

I would go as far as suggesting that the leagues at our level and below should be reduced to perhaps 18 clubs, 20 maximum. You could easily fit 34 or 38 Saturdays in between August and April, plus Boxing Day and New Year's Day. This would also remove the need for bank holiday games in August and at Easter, which are rarely well supported and require part timers to play twice in 72 hours.

This won't go down well, but I'd push the cup and trophy games into midweek, to be decided on the night or make them 2 legged. The FA Cup needs a huge revamp to reverse declining attendances and I think the league cup played midweek is all the better for it.

None of this has a chance in hell of happening though...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:10 pm

I don't mind the occasional midweek, even if we have a couple in January/February I can cope, but we've had seven consecutive Tuesday fixtures which has obviously taken its toll. I feel knackered watching them (more so home ones as I've been up until silly o'clock completing a programme for it two nights before) and I bet the players are looking forward to a week off after tomorrow.

No objections with European football. If I'm in I'll definitely watch it, if I'm not I can cope. It'll be interesting to see how our attendances will be affected when the Qatar World Cup takes place during winter, but that's a long way off yet. We'll probably have a month off with all our players gaining international call-ups Cool
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:20 pm

I was wondering which divisions, if any, are going to be suspended for the World Cup. I expect that the English Premier League will and possibly the Championship but when you consider that smaller nations teams come right down to our level - Jason St Juste playing for St Kitts and Nevis, for instance (who probably won't qualify) - perhaps all leagues should be suspended.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:37 pm

comrade powell wrote:And yet you would rather play skittles, Steve!  Very Happy
Well just for the record, I love European football on TV, whether it be the midweek Champions and Europa League matches or my weekend fixes of Spanish football. The real dross is to be found much closer to home and I rarely bother with Lineker's self indulgent show any more. However, I still preferred to watch City/Bish than Atletico/Bayer on Tuesday. Watching the exciting highlights later gave  me some regrets though!

Since boycotting MOTD last season, I haven't felt the need to return and haven't missed it at all. I know this sounds pathetic but, literally, Bath City's ups and downs have kept me more that satisfied football-wise. It's only really the World Cups, the Euros and Wales' 'progression' to both that I am interested in after that.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2