Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London Exiles for Ferriby???

+12
Manchester Romans
stillmanjunior
kingswood charlie
striped67
Luton Roman
A36
pete mac
Matt_1376
irishroman
James C
comrade powell
martinos74
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

London Exiles for Ferriby??? - Page 2 Empty Re: London Exiles for Ferriby???

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:41 pm

Martinos - Just wondered if you were a part of that 'crazy' gang of London exiles that used to turn up occasionally at matches we played in the London area during our Southern League days of the 'noughties', especially at Thurrock? Now Thurrock was quite a dire place to visit (and we always lost there, even when they were bottom of the table) - worst pitch and worst bar etc, but these lads, that included Pistachio Cowboy and Noo-noo (to name but two who used to post on the old Forum), certainly brightened up the day with their 'fuelled' but innocent antics. I remember one such match at Thurrock when we were comfortably losing 0-2 we suddenly witnessed a conga that danced itself around the entire pitch perimeter - priceless. I think it was the same day that their club bar provided colouring materials, including face paints - presumably for bored kiddies to amuse themselves with. Before you could blink most of our 'bigger kiddies' had made use of the face paints, which added colour to the conga! Any photos taken of all this I wonder? If this can be related to you exiles then I particularly look forward to seeing you all again. One further hazy story relating to a Thurrock visit was that one of you 'got lost' after the match and was not seen again for about three weeks - rumoured to have tried to cross a nearby dual carriageway - hurdled the central reservation barrier badly and broke a leg? I expect you have all grown up now - or have you? Smile

Only two days to go - tingling with anticipation all week - I expect we all are. Its worth mentioning (in case it will be some kind of record) that a skittles mate, whose son was a regular TP attendee until he emigrated to Japan, said that if City get to Wembley his son will fly back especially to watch the match!!

Whilst I am in my stride I have just a few words of a more serious nature. Having read the other threads that include various comments about the Somerset Premier Cup competition :- I think it is a pity that it is not taken seriously. I do not mean that we should put our strongest team out when not necessary, especially in this most crucially important week, but I am tinged with sorrow that we have not fared better in it of late. I say this with one greatly overriding thought. The FA Trophy to us is our FA Cup. Likewise the SP Cup to our youngsters is their most feasible chance of silverware, and I expect they are gutted. A 50/50 (1st team/youngsters) team selection would hopefully be good enough to win this comp' (bar Yeovil possibly); but what I am getting round to saying is that, to the handful of youngsters who would then be selected to represent the Club at this senior level, it would be an excellent opportunity to impress everyone that they have the skills etc to forge a future with us in the years to come. This competition therefore would be the highlight of their season. What I agree with others about is that its games add to an already overcrowded fixture list, and this problem is not easy to overcome, given the FA rulings. At present I feel that it could be played out in its entirety in pre-season; in place of the friendlies, that our management do not appear to get much out of! In short, don't deny our youngsters their senior cup final. Food for thought.

Now, roll on Saturday - We can do it, and we will.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:45 pm

Quite agree with you, Steve, on the Som Cup. Unfortunately the blazers don't want to be denied their end of season cup final. My idea would be for a pre-season group stage, followed by the ko stages spread out over the season, but not scheduled for those weeks in the autumn when most clubs are in the trophy/vase and even the cup. It just needs a bit of imagination...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:12 pm

The Cambridge branch has also been released from previous commitments so will be heading north this weekend. Let's make it feel like a home game.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:32 am

I can feel a good City crowd coming on........always remarkable how many exiles there are and there will be a lot of non coach travellers from Bath

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by London Town Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:53 am

North London/Watford Branch will be travelling up the M1 too. Scarfs out of the back windows? or at least across the back window!
I'm not one of the crazy gang, but have a vague memory of some of those antics! Sounds like a good crowd from city, be great to make sure we all stand together, looks like the ground is quite minimal in terms of terracing...

London Town

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:58 am

Midsomer-steve wrote: I remember one such match at Thurrock when we were comfortably losing 0-2 we suddenly witnessed a conga that danced itself around the entire pitch perimeter - priceless. I think it was the same day that their club bar provided colouring materials, including face paints - presumably for bored kiddies to amuse themselves with. Before you could blink most of our 'bigger kiddies' had made use of the face paints, which added colour to the conga!

I have pics of the conga on my laptop.

My main recollections of that game are the pitch being in a horrendous state, and a pitch 'invasion' at the end for Evo, minutes after he ended his career with a red card.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by martinos74 Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:07 am

Midsomer-steve wrote:Martinos - Just wondered if you were a part of that 'crazy' gang of London exiles that used to turn up occasionally at matches we played in the London area during our Southern League days of the 'noughties', especially at Thurrock? Now Thurrock was quite a dire place to visit (and we always lost there, even when they were bottom of the table) - worst pitch and worst bar etc, but these lads, that included Pistachio Cowboy and Noo-noo (to name but two who used to post on the old Forum), certainly brightened up the day with their 'fuelled' but innocent antics. I remember one such match at Thurrock when we were comfortably losing 0-2 we suddenly witnessed a conga that danced itself around the entire pitch perimeter - priceless. I think it was the same day that their club bar provided colouring materials, including face paints - presumably for bored kiddies to amuse themselves with. Before you could blink most of our 'bigger kiddies' had made use of the face paints, which added colour to the conga! Any photos taken of all this I wonder? If this can be related to you exiles then I particularly look forward to seeing you all again. One further hazy story relating to a Thurrock visit was that one of you 'got lost' after the match and was not seen again for about three weeks - rumoured to have tried to cross a nearby dual carriageway - hurdled the central reservation barrier badly and broke a leg? I expect you have all grown up now - or have you? Smile

Don't worry Midsomer-Steve the Pistachio Cowboy and Noo-noo (with healed leg) will indeed be there and have not grown up at all yet! If there's enough space then I say it's conga time again!!!!!

Come on Cityyyyyyyyyyyyy!

martinos74

Back to top Go down

London Exiles for Ferriby??? - Page 2 Empty Good News

Post by A36 Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:40 pm

the demon headmaster wrote:The Cambridge branch has also been released from previous commitments so will be heading north this weekend.
That is excellent news indeed. After all the miles that you have covered on this Trophy run, to have missed tomorrow's key game would have been really cruel on you. Look forward to seeing you there.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:46 pm

This thread is a great read!

Both sets of fans will fear a heart breaking late defeat after coming so far.

I am preparing myself to go there and have some fun and celebrate the achievement.

The London conga boys will help!

For what its worth I think they saw how good we can be in that last half an hour and they'll be worried! Hopeful!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by James C Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:35 pm

Great read Steve! That brought back a few hazy memories, I think Yorky led the conga round Thurrock, never seem him happier! When I eventually dragged myself up the morning after and looked in the mirror I got a big shock because my face was still completely blue.

Well up for tomorrow, will be joining pistachio and noonoo on the megatrain and drinking in the Cumberland, come and say hello if you see us!

James C

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:52 pm

Lots of City fans going up this evening and Palmer already settled in a pub in Hull.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt_1376 Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:21 pm

pete mac wrote:Lots of City fans going up this evening and Palmer already settled in a pub in Hull.

Grrr - I'm jealous!

Not to worry though, because I'll be there in about 12.5 hours! Twisted Evil
Matt_1376
Matt_1376

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2