Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On-line club shop

+6
Eddie Hitler
Mark Tanner
Marc Monitor
yuffie
stillmanjunior
Roman Mike
10 posters

Go down

On-line club shop Empty On-line club shop

Post by Roman Mike Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:22 pm

So this new on-line club shop....
Where is it exactly? Putting aside the fact that the timing is poor as we've probably missed the xmas rush now, all I could find at the end of the link on the website was 7 pages of different sized training kits (red and black). Where are all the baseball caps, mugs, dressing gowns, lampshades and bed spreads and other tat that we come to expect from club shops?
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

On-line club shop Empty Re: On-line club shop

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:44 pm

My guess is this is something Jako have provided for us rather than the club itself, so we didn't have control over when it came out? But I'm happy to be proved wrong.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Roman Mike wrote:So this new on-line club shop....
Where is it exactly?  Putting aside the fact that the timing is poor as we've probably missed the xmas rush now, all I could find at the end of the link on the website was 7 pages of different sized training kits (red and black).  Where are all the baseball caps, mugs, dressing gowns, lampshades and bed spreads and other tat that we come to expect from club shops?

I guess the issue, with size of our fanbase, it is impossible to produce that sort of tat (caps and mugs, aside) at an affordable price.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:36 pm

On-line club shop Screen%20Shot%202014-08-11%20at%2012.09.32

Of course, you can still get the only 125th year anniversary memorabilia available at bathcityroman@sky.com. Going fast though.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:31 pm

yuffie wrote:
Roman Mike wrote:So this new on-line club shop....
Where is it exactly?  Putting aside the fact that the timing is poor as we've probably missed the xmas rush now, all I could find at the end of the link on the website was 7 pages of different sized training kits (red and black).  Where are all the baseball caps, mugs, dressing gowns, lampshades and bed spreads and other tat that we come to expect from club shops?

I guess the issue, with size of our fanbase, it is impossible to produce that sort of tat (caps and mugs, aside) at an affordable price.

We actually have the merchandise. We just seem reluctant to advertise it or sell it. I saw it in the club shop on Saturday. I then see the website advertising a "new" on-line shop (which I found despite the broken link, Yuffie :-)) But I can't find the merchandise on-line. Just a link to the proactive team wear site with 7 pages of red and black training kit. Don't even start me on why the club shop is shut after the game.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Andy Weeks allowed the Supporters HQ to sell a few scarfs and hats which near on all sold out thankfully. It was a trial basis but I'd like to be able to transform that hut with a proper till, laptop and printer to be able to print supporters club docs, membership cards and fixture info for people. Also have shirt sales alongside high quality DVDs, desirable old programmes and smaller items whilst still operating the match day draw from there and coach bookings (on the laptop).

It will make it a lot more professional and customer friendly which it's lacking at the moment.
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:32 pm

For the record, its never my intention to knock any volunteers or their efforts. I just want us to be the best we can be.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:43 am

The Bath City shopping experience has been a confusing one for some time now, and I do struggle to understand what you can get and where.
I helped stock the new shop a season or so ago with Andy, Manda and others, and it seemed like a great idea, however it doesn't seem to have much presence and in recent months I've noticed it's not always open on match days.
To hear from Mark that the Supporters Club hut may be selling stuff is even more confusing.
I also agree that advertising Christmas presents less than a week before Christmas is not the greatest marketing strategy.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:53 am

I think that the problem is that there is no signage suggesting that it is a club shop. It looks more like a storage room behind the office. Indeed, the fact you have to go through the office (don't you?) doesn't help. I went to Partick Thistle and their shop was about half the size but the door opened out onto the street, was well-lit, staffed and signposted and they ended up selling me and my mates a lot of stuff.

Mark and Bas' problem isn't their fault at all. They haven't got much signage and, of course, the container doesn't look like a shop and doesn't have display windows. It also points towards to exit which means that half the time people are on their way out and can't be bothered to turn back. However, they still do a lot more business. Probably more than the club shop in terms of customers.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:15 am

Marc Monitor wrote:...the fact you have to go through the office  (don't you?)
No - there's a door to the right of that, but that fact that it's not clear says a lot.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:21 pm

I didn't know there was a club shop; Shocked I thought those things were offered in the Supporters Club megastore container.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm not overly bothered as I am not a fan of either but why have the training tops got last season's badge not this year's?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:32 pm

I'd not noticed that before but the training gear the team wear also has the normal badge on.

I guess it is so that can continue to use it next season when we revert to that badge (which rather negates my comment in the badge thread).

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:22 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:

Of course, you can still get the only 125th year anniversary memorabilia available at bathcityroman@sky.com. Going fast though.

I haven't bought a T shirt Marc because I cannot empathise with the Today Tomorrow Always sentiment. I do not think about my football teams like that. (I acknowledge that many do).

I must say I am really getting into this 125 year now though. What with the badge change and the T shirt is is all go go go. Heady Days.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Grandma Gibbons Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:20 pm

There is a blue door to the right of the window where you collect tickets which has the words 'club shop' on it below the Bath City badge so I don't know why people don't know where the shop is.
Grandma Gibbons
Grandma Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Well, there are many reasons. Firstly, the sign isn't large or prominent enough especially in an area that is busy with signs. Secondly, not that many people collect tickets but go straight through the turnstiles. The shop either is always closed or appears it because there is no-one in there and the lights are off. The windows don't show any products displayed and don't let you really see inside. I have no idea how well the stock is displayed in the shop which is possibly emblematic of the problem.

You don't need to know much about retail to know that the importance of location, footfall, the front window display and lighting of the window and the shop. I appreciate that there isn't a load of options for alternative locations but presently it is in a little used area so it has to make up for it with display and lighting to attract people. I say this as someone who is fairly regularly in the ticket office and uses the side entrance of Charlie's.

I think the club has been let down by the supplier as well as I don't think most of the stock was with the club until September which completely misses out on any early season optimism. City are, by no means, alone in this. It happens to many clubs at even higher levels.

The other problem is that the stock isn't hugely inspiring. We have had polo shirts with the badge on forever so I suppose, once you have one, you won't be inclined to get one every year. This is compounded by last season's badge being on there as well.

It was a shame that the club didn't use the opportunity of the anniversary to really go to town with merch. We really can't afford to miss any revenue possibilities presently.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Have to agree with Marc on this one, I tried to buy a hat before the chilly Gloucester game inside the ground in what I thought was the club shop. Money the club could have had gone elsewhere.

Grumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Thanks for saying this Grumpy, I was probably the one that had to turn you away/direct you back outside!

Like I have already said we had a very limited number of scarfs and hats for sale at the last home game and they all sold out! I hope I can get some more to sell tomorrow.

Plan B is buy an embroidery machine, heat press and cutter. Store them at Twerton and make our own merch. Big initial cost but higher profit margins for years to come....
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:43 pm

I guess it's another example of the financial restraints the club is operating under that they can't afford to spend money on producing a wide range of merchandise that may or may not return a profit.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:59 pm

The range is good enough and at many price points, trouble is getting them inside the ground where your customers are!

Then there is the case of actively selling them to your captive audience!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:27 pm

By the way, I am not, of course, having a go at any of the volunteers who work at the shop or help in any other way. Revenue streams are issues that the board and staff need to look at.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down