Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wealdstone Away

+11
Midsomer-steve
Ashley
yuffie
LB
BenE
Luton Roman
bonzodog
bristoldome
Beau Nash
A36
thomasmaxbaer
15 posters

Go down

Wealdstone Away Empty Wealdstone Away

Post by thomasmaxbaer Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:26 pm

1-0 to City!! Ross stearn with a sideways bicycle kick!

thomasmaxbaer

Back to top Go down

Wealdstone Away Empty Re: Wealdstone Away

Post by A36 Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:14 pm

I am informed that things are looking better since Watkins replaced Dale. I am also told that Slocombe is having a very good game, on the other hand Stearn is proving rather ineffective (other than scoring and hitting the post obviously).

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:26 pm

I have been corrected, it was Bowman who hit the post. Apparently, McGleish gave the City fans a two fingered salute at the point he received a second yellow for lashing out at Ball.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by thomasmaxbaer Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Full time. 2-1. They scared late

thomasmaxbaer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:57 pm

Certainly a late scare... affraid
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by bristoldome Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:01 pm

Ive been very critical since saturday so I wanted to be equally quick to say well done to the lads. Im still far from convinced but you can only take it one game at a time. Good result. I wasnt there so cant comment on the performance but a vital 3 points gained. Well done!

bristoldome

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:23 pm

From the internet radio commentary it sounded as if we could have scored four or five. Pleased for the travelling faithful, who were part of a 614 attendance, it will seem a quick journey home. cheers
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:28 pm

We needed that result. Well done The City Boys Very Happy Very Happy

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Excellent 2nd half performance saw a deserved City win. In truth we could have had 5 or 6, hitting the woodwork twice, their keeper brilliantly denying a Pratt volley. Late score in last minute of seemingly endless injury time but we looked a classs act going forward with the introduction of Watkins after an hour. 1st half quite even ,they probably had more of the game and forced several corners, but then a magic moment from Stearn with a neat over head kick from a Pratt pull back saw City go ahead.

2nd half saw Wealdstone start the brighter without creating much. We struggled to keep the ball and thereby invited pressure, but Watlkins introduction saw a more attacking intent and we looked the more likely. Eventually a lovely cross in the last min of normal time saw a Pratt header from close in make the game safe aside from their late score.

Good City support and a very effective final third of the game saw City move off the bottom. Bring on Stortford !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:45 pm

the team is playing better away than at home. strange.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Just Saw A36 post. McGleish reacted to my reasonable shout of you are a dirty b#####d. Harsh but fair !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:03 pm

Hopefully this will prove to be the start of a good run of results and not another false dawn.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:58 pm

Okay, it could be a good entry in a 'not in focus' competition but here's Stean's goal.

Wealdstone Away IMG_0223

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:13 am

Good performance tonight and a much needed win. Could have scored more. Roll on Saturday.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:05 pm

I will also say well done for last night's win (praise where praise is due) - a great relief all round. The best feature of the game for me was that there was a big increase of ground ball play - we actually witnessed that we had a mid-field - played 'proper' football, and proved that the players are still capable of doing this.

Without seeming too pessamistic, it is still very much 'work in progress' though, as someone else said. We have narrowly beaten a team which has still to register its first win of the season, and which now takes our place at the foot of the table. We all hope that the improvements in play seen last night continue at the weekend against another currently 'failing giant'; but the most crucial acid test of an improvement must surely be the next home fixture on Saturday week, which will be seen by 95% of our total remaining fanbase.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Totally agree, Steve. Wins and defeats must always be seen in the context of the opposition's strength. I missed the game, but according to their forum, Wealdstone were absolutely dire. It will need several convincing home displays to persuade some to venture back to Twerton. However, any win must be celebrated, so well done to the team and you loyal fans who travelled yesterday - delighted you were rewarded for sticking with the team!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:45 pm

comrade powell wrote:Totally agree, Steve. Wins and defeats must always be seen in the context of the opposition's strength. I missed the game, but according to their forum, Wealdstone were absolutely dire. It will need several convincing home displays to persuade some to venture back to Twerton. However, any win must be celebrated, so well done to the team and you loyal fans who travelled yesterday - delighted you were rewarded for sticking with the team!

Of course, a team playing even partly to their strength(s) can make the opposition play badly.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:38 pm

They got better after the sending off which was a matter of time.

After the start we've had no game is easy.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:23 pm

They just seemed to get frustrated in the second half, resorting to kicking lumps out of us. On the excellent highlights package they've uploaded they show one incident where Dave Pratt is kicked and has his shirt tugged back (I have a photo where his shirt is nearly ripped off) but the referee played an advantage before Stearn was tackled straight after, hard but fair, and the referee pulled play back for the original foul, correctly. They showed a slo-motion replay of Stearn being brought down instead, perhaps to claim the referee was poor, I don't know.

A needlessly edgy final few minutes but a much improved performance from Saturday. Formation change seemed to do the trick.

Seemed to be a decent set-up at Wealdstone. Decent enough bar for this level, superb programme (makes mine look amateurish, bah), excellent playing surface and, so I'm told, top-notch food, a change from the usual burger and chips at most places. A few partisan home fans but nothing out of hand. If their team replicate it on the pitch they should be ok, but unless they bring in a few new faces I think they'll be in trouble.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:44 pm

A late post about Tuesday. I went because I thought it was a vital game. Glad I did. Great second half with Watkins the difference. Thought Gally did better at right back and Slocs down the left. We made some noise and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think we'll be alright and can build in this.

Thought the wealdstone Club was great. Friendly with real ale and curry.

Great night and my voice has just recovered

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down