Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who aren't we going to play next season?

+2
Roy D Hacksaw
comrade powell
6 posters

Go down

Who aren't we going to play next season? Empty Who aren't we going to play next season?

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:42 am

(assuming we're still in NLS!)

Although Hampton are mathematically still in with a chance of a top five finish, it's really settled with Chelmsford, Maidstone, Worthing and Braintree fighting for the right to host the two playoff semi finals in a fortnight's time. The first two will gain that privilege if they win today and the other two don't.
6th and 7th cannot be settled today but Aveley, St Albans and Slough will be out of contention if they fail to win and other results go against them.
With Taunton still having four games to play, several clubs are not safe from the drop yet but Welling will be if the Peacocks fail to win today as will Hemel with a win.
Dartford will be relegated today if they lose at Yeovil and both Eastbourne and Torquay win.

Paul will be delighted to learn that only 4 clubs have nothing left to play for and that there are no dead rubbers today!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Manchester Romans and Roy D Hacksaw like this post

Back to top Go down

Who aren't we going to play next season? Empty Re: Who aren't we going to play next season?

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:03 am

And just for reference, Dover and Havant have already been relegated.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Who aren't we going to play next season? Empty Re: Who aren't we going to play next season?

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:06 pm

And Yeovil are promoted
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:31 pm

So the following has been resolved after today's matches...

Barring a miracle at Aveley next Saturday we are assured of a playoff place and so are Hampton if they win at St Albans on Tuesday. That result would end Aveley's and Farnborough's dreams. No other teams are still in contention.

At the bottom Dartford's relegation was confirmed.

Truro, Hemel, Eastbourne, Torquay and Taunton are fighting to avoid the 4th spot. A Truro win over Dover on Tuesday makes them safe as Taunton have still to play Hemel and they can't both overtake Stearny's team. That game next Saturday could be the relegation decider but Hemel, Torquay and Eastbourne are still in great danger. Taunton finish with three home games - they haven't won one since early December but if they put in a performance like today's then Torquay on Tuesday could help them break that duck!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:44 pm

comrade powell wrote:So the following has been resolved after today's matches...

Barring a miracle at Aveley next Saturday we are assured of a playoff place and so are Hampton if they win at St Albans on Tuesday. That result would end Aveley's and Farnborough's dreams. No other teams are still in contention.

Dartford and Havants relegation are the stories of the season..

At the bottom Dartford's relegation was confirmed.

Truro, Hemel, Eastbourne, Torquay and Taunton are fighting to avoid the 4th spot. A Truro win over Dover on Tuesday makes them safe as Taunton have still to play Hemel and they can't both overtake Stearny's team. That game next Saturday could be the relegation decider but Hemel, Torquay and Eastbourne are still in great danger. Taunton finish with three home games - they haven't won one since early December but if they put in a performance like today's then Torquay on Tuesday could help them break that duck!

Dartford and Havants relegation are the stories of the season.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:12 pm

comrade powell wrote:(assuming we're still in NLS!)
Paul will be delighted to learn that only 4 clubs have nothing left to play for and that there are no dead rubbers today!

I am chuffed no rubber matches yesterday. if the play offs weren't invented and only top 2 went up we'd been mid table muck and we'd have been lucky to get 1000 fans yesterday. so 1700 with Torquay away fans. The chance of getting in the play offs meant we had 2700. multiply this by all other games that have something riding on them and that's an awful lot of fans going to games at the tale end of the season when they would be dead rubbers if no play offs. now i hope we finish 7th and play on the wednesday as can't go on the tuesday if we finish 6th.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:15 pm

I agree with your last sentence but not the rest! Laughing
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:28 pm

comrade powell wrote:I agree with your last sentence but not the rest! Laughing
lol. please explain why you want smaller attendances and more dead rubbers at the end of the season? I assume you prefer runners up to go up. Very boring for most clubs from March onwards when that happens. I assume a vote was once cast to introduce the play offs system in 1987. I'd imagine of the 92 league clubs all 92 would vote play offs over highest team getting automatic promotion?
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:04 pm

See the thread from a few months ago, Paul. I can’t be bothered to explain it all again. But I will research attendances again once the season is over to see if the trend was the same as for last year.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:39 pm

comrade powell wrote:See the thread from a few months ago, Paul. I can’t be bothered to explain it all again. But I will research attendances again once the season is over to see if the trend was the same as for last year.
ha ha. yeah lets leave it be powell. that ship has sailed. we rarely agree but at least this forum is decent unlike the ghastly facebook supporters page. utter rigmarole on there when were in a bad patch. love to see them say what they say online too gill or players face. keyboard warriors. seen posts by same people like im not going down city again after farnborough loss to were going up after torquay win. does my swede in.
Paul1978
Paul1978

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:29 pm

I think you proved with your attempt to start a debate about favourite away grounds on the NLS Banter site that Facebook attracts brainless comments. Could have been an interesting debate. As always, St Albans gets my vote although it made a nice change to avoid defeat at Dartford. I shall miss that trip next season.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:43 pm

So wins tonight for Torquay and Truro means they’re both safe and the 4th relegation spot will be filled by Hemel, Eastbourne or Taunton although Kevin’s boys would have been safe had Weston not equalised in the 95th minute. However if Taunton fail to beat Weston on Thursday they’re down.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:32 pm

Taunton’s defeat this evening confirms their relegation. They must have run out of steam after the number of recent matches because of their pitch problems. So Somerset will have only two clubs in NLS next season (or maybe just one…)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by James SLO Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:48 pm

Hopefully that also means less competition for players

James SLO

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 pm

comrade powell wrote:Taunton’s defeat this evening confirms their relegation.

They were claiming on their socials that this is the first relegation in the club's history. That's quite a record if true.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 pm

Roy D Hacksaw wrote:
comrade powell wrote:Taunton’s defeat this evening confirms their relegation.

They were claiming on their socials that this is the first relegation in the club's history. That's quite a record if true.

As with Dorking.
Taunton need to sort themselves out on and off the pitch and the pitch itself.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:06 pm

Based on visiting these relegated clubs/towns in away fixtures, I’m delighted to lose Havant and the two Kent clubs are long trips from Bath, especially to Dover, although we have a long history with both and I’m sure we’ll resume acquaintances before too long.  Not so sure about Taunton and as Luton suggests they’re in a bad way at present. 

And if we don’t win the playoffs, who would we most like to see go up? Again, Chelmsford are old rivals but their ground and town are hard to like. There are good set ups at Worthing and Maidstone although the latter’s infantile wannabe hooligans are bordering on pathetic. Braintree don’t grate as much for me as with many City fans so no strong feelings there.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:19 pm

Not sure about Dover, going by their fans they seem to be quite badly run and are expecting to struggle again next season.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:15 pm

Boreham Wood down, better than Ebbsfleet who would throw money at getting back. Wood manager has now gone after a long time there and totally financed by Chairman. Arsenal women also looking to play more games away from there. Cd be interesting watch.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down