Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dover match

+3
Paul1978
pete mac
comrade powell
7 posters

Go down

Dover match Empty Dover match

Post by comrade powell Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:05 pm

We have been blessed with lots of entertaining matches so far this season but I’m afraid today’s wasn’t one of them. While a slight improvement on last season’s goalless shocker at Crabble, neither side really looked like converting despite Dover hitting the bar. 
As one of their fans shouted out at the final whistle “we’re now bottom of the league, where we deserve to be”. 
Hopefully the goals will start flowing again for us with Chippenham on the horizon.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Dover match Empty Re: Dover match

Post by pete mac Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:35 pm

5 league games without a win and 3 points from 15. Good to. Pick up draws and a clean sheet away but we have fallen down the table. 3 winnables coming up Bound to have a difficult patch I guess.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:37 pm

Dover have only won once all season.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:45 am

Generally the performance levels at Hemel, Farnborough, and home to Yeovil have deserved more points so performance levels have been excellent. Chelmsford was poor of course and don't know if we deserved 3 points today. Of course playing well and not getting more points is annoying but its football. I think we've only played poor 3 times. WSM home, Worthing away FA Cup and Chelmsford home. So 3 below par performances isn't bad out of however many games we've played. Maybe 25 games (guess). Our character is very strong. Bit more pressure now we've dropped points but all very exciting none the less. Looking forward too last 32 tie in Trophy too. Been an exciting season so far so lets hope its continues. Wembley and the top 7 are the dream. UTC boys.
Paul1978
Paul1978

2weirdtown and Micawber like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:02 am

After nearly half a season I would say we are about where we can expect to be in the table. Our results against teams in the top half have not been great so we are in a pretty respectable position.
The only negative is that we aren't as fluent in our play as we were early season. I put it down to swapping our two wingers. Clarke's game has suffered and Thomas looks to shoot and not cross. But that may be just my bias and it is because teams have worked us out.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:07 am

BenE wrote:Our results against teams in the top half have not been great so we are in a pretty respectable position.
without checking I think we've beat Aveley Hampton & Richmond and Maidstone all 3 - 0. All in play off I think?
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:50 am

The fact is that since the win v Taunton, ten matches ago, we’ve only averaged a point/game and the goals have dried up in the last few weeks. I don’t think that can just be explained by the Thomas/Clark question of who plays where. Cooke and Wilson both seem to have gone off the boil and a couple of others don’t look to be playing as well as in the Autumn. Dover really should have gone the same way as Weymouth but even a narrow win yesterday would have flattered us. 
I think we can expect two tough games v Chippenham so it’s important we start returning to previous form against struggling Welling next Saturday.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:50 pm

Don't worry about Chippenham powell. We've got rid of our dead wood. Spokes, Eddie Jones and Feddie Grant for Russe, Parselle and Greenslade. Will do the double over them. Only messing, of course derby's are tough. Bring on Welling home first.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:20 pm

Well a small group of us away fans were so convinced we would be triumphant that we had our version of an open top bus tour around Dover before the match including a sight of France
Since this thread is about Dover perhaps I could give the Prime Minister some advice on Stopping the Boats - Simply get the management of the rail companies  involved since they have been quite successful in disrupting rail travel!

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:08 pm

Paul1978 wrote:Don't worry about Chippenham powell. We've got rid of our dead wood. Spokes, Eddie Jones and Feddie Grant for Russe, Parselle and Greenslade. Will do the double over them. Only messing, of course derby's are tough. Bring on Welling home first.

I never rated Spokes but Chippenham’s fans seem very impressed. Only saw Freddie Grant on the lockdown streams but a Wealdstone fan I know was amazed he had such a short stay at Twerton. Very strong in the air. And Jones never let us down.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:29 am

Paul1978 wrote:
BenE wrote:Our results against teams in the top half have not been great so we are in a pretty respectable position.
without checking I think we've beat Aveley  Hampton & Richmond and Maidstone all 3 - 0. All in play off I think?
Which is why we are 7th and not 12th as we have done poorly against all the other sides in the top half.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:32 am

comrade powell wrote:The fact is that since the win v Taunton, ten matches ago, we’ve only averaged a point/game and the goals have dried up in the last few weeks. I don’t think that can just be explained by the Thomas/Clark question of who plays where. Cooke and Wilson both seem to have gone off the boil.
I attribute this to the same thing. The quality of the balls into the danger area are not as good. Man U are having the same issue with their 'wingers'.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:59 am

I’d certainly agree with that re Clark but not so much Thomas. And there’s more to a striker’s role than simply waiting for excellent deliveries. In some games opposing defenders have had their work cut out handling our pair. I’m not sure they’ve been that stretched recently.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:56 pm

Parselle, Russe and Greenslade are way more quality than Spokes, Jones and Grant. 3 Excellent signings from Chippenham. Definable miles better than the 3 they replaced. Russe is on the verge of greatness.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:54 pm

I know that he was playing for the other team, but did you see Grant  in the playoff game v Wealdstone? He was very impressive that night (apart from when he crocked Stearny)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:57 pm

comrade powell wrote:I know that he was playing for the other team, but did you see Grant  in the playoff game v Wealdstone? He was very impressive that night (apart from when he crocked Stearny)
Can't remember him against Wealdstone powell. He played for us when covid 19 was on so I don't think our fans seen him in the flesh. He might be good but I think I prefer Greenslade. He's so compossed at left back and if the ball connects with his left foot, its like a bullet. Wooooooooooosh.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:34 am

Peter Newman wrote:Since this thread is about Dover perhaps I could give the Prime Minister some advice on Stopping the Boats - Simply get the management of the rail companies  involved since they have been quite successful in disrupting rail travel!
I think even the boats landing at Dover bringing the illegal immigrants onto the beaches will have been as crowded as our GWR train from Bath Spa to Trowbridge on Saturday night!!
Regarding the pre-match bus tour around the Dover heights....... all part of the away travel service.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:30 pm

It will be remembered with the same affection as the Halesowen cemetery trek!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:43 pm

comrade powell wrote:It will be remembered with the same affection as the Halesowen cemetery trek!

My God Martin
Mother has just turned in her grave Shocked

SASCHA

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down